PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's GPS

manoman14
04-18-2010, 06:51 PM
My wife gave me a Garmin Nuvi for my birthday so as to have a GPS with us on our all too infrequent trips out of town. I wanted it mounted on my Spyder, but it was almost useless not being able to hear it . So I ordered an Aquabox and the applicable mounts to mount it between the bars. This solved the non waterproof problem. I then mounted a microphone from an old helmet set behind the GPS inside the box and wired it into the wiring harness for my Autocom. Now when the Garmin talks, the stereo mutes and I hear my directions clearly. It works slick and didn't cost an arm and a leg. :D

Prense01
04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Nice!

bruceofthebronx
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Can you tell me what Nuvi and Aquabox you have? Thanks.

manoman14
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Can you tell me what Nuvi and Aquabox you have? Thanks.

The Garmin is a Nuvi 285, but really any GPS will work. I did a similar set up on my previous BMW using a very cheap Tom Tom and it worked just fine. The Aqua box is their medium size, Ram-Hol-AQ6U.I also used their 1 3/4" souble socket arm and used Scotty's idea for mounting the ball to the center of the handle bars.

bruceofthebronx
04-19-2010, 07:08 PM
The Garmin is a Nuvi 285, but really any GPS will work. I did a similar set up on my previous BMW using a very cheap Tom Tom and it worked just fine. The Aqua box is their medium size, Ram-Hol-AQ6U.I also used their 1 3/4" souble socket arm and used Scotty's idea for mounting the ball to the center of the handle bars.
Thanks for the quick reply. Ride safe.

Vordak
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Did you use a longer bolt to mount the ball or is it the stock bolt?

V.

manoman14
04-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Did you use a longer bolt to mount the ball or is it the stock bolt?

V.
Had to use a 3/4" spacer, so the bolt needed to be about 3/4" longer.