PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire

dfishbuggy55
04-18-2010, 09:28 AM
What is the best rear tire for the best mileage and who do I found who mount and balance my shop said he has one tire in stock for 340.00 have 08 se5 with 15,000 miles and does any one tried nitrogen for rear tire?

boborgera
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
What is the best rear tire for the best mileage and who do I found who mount and balance my shop said he has one tire in stock for 340.00 have 08 se5 with 15,000 miles and does any one tried nitrogen for rear tire?

340 Sounds high?? Nitrogen, my Brother swears by it In his car tires.
But then he's retired in Florida! They'll sell you any thing to you down there. [Especially if your retired] :roflblack:

Lowflyingowl
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
340 should be for all 3 tires - and even that is a bit high.

I just picked up a Yokohama for the rear from tire Rack. Dealer charged me 130 to mount, but even that was cheaper than buying the tire from him.

this is my third rear tire -- I never get more than 14000 from one. Trying the Yokohama because it fit and was available -- would have tried the BFGoodrich Gforce, but out of stock nationwide.....

For the front tires, same problem, but now rotating them every 9000 miles and I hope to get more mileage out of them since they always wear on the inside while the outside is fine.

bjt
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
My wife and I have been happy with the Kumho Ecsta AST (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+AST)tire. We are on our second set of Kumho rear tires and they last significantly longer than the stock tires lasted. Also they are much cheaper (bought online from Tirerack) and we've found dealers who would mount them for around $80 - $90 (I think they charged one hour shop rate).

BajaRon
04-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Any good tire will perform as well or better than the stock tire and at a lower price. I'm running the Toyo T1R. It's one of the more expensive replacement choices but I think I paid $130 for it delivered.

We get our tires mounted for $20 here. We take the tire and wheel in though. I'm sure it would be higher if we just dropped our Spyders off. It's not all that much trouble.

Also, taking the wheel weights off and using Ride-On instead is a great way to go. From what I hear it costs about the same as balancing and you also get flat protection as well.

krb1945
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
on the front to match the kumho on the rear. I was looking to see if they have a 175 -14 for the rear with this same thread pattern but 185 was the smallest saw with this pattern. /Ken

bjt
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm still running the original fronts at just over 25k miles. Looking at them, I don't think I'll have to replace them for a while. :thumbup: I'll probably go with the stock tires again if I have to replace the fronts as our choices for car tires in that size are severly limited.

Kerrville Bob
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I have had good luck with Toyo Proxes. Great tread design, getting 20-25% better mileage than the OE tire. Discount tire can get it for you and in Kerrville it only cost me $120.00 mounted taxes and all.

Discount Tire is my choice since they have so many locations around the USA.

krb1945
04-20-2010, 04:05 AM
did you use a 225-60-15 or the -50- on the rear. I have been considering a 60 but I have been reading post that the taller tire might upset the nanny.

My SO and I have found out the factory rear doesn't have a lot of traction on any surface. You can smoke it with no problems and we're too old to be smoking tires when leaving the red light. /Ken krb1945-OEM

BajaRon
04-20-2010, 09:12 AM
My SO and I have found out the factory rear doesn't have a lot of traction on any surface. You can smoke it with no problems and we're too old to be smoking tires when leaving the red light. /Ken krb1945-OEM

Youre never too old to smoke a tire! Just don't inhale like you did when you were younger! :roflblack:

krb1945
04-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Now that is funny :2thumbs::roflblack::clap::roflblack: got me rolling in the aisles.

Anyway does that T1R have better traction? /Ken

Firefly
04-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Sounds like they are a 'by the book' dealer. The OEM rear tires are around $140. My dealer charged $200 to change the rear out-- so my first rear tire change did cost $340 including the tire....:yikes:

I was in a hurry and didn't really have the time to mess with it myself-- but never again. I'm about due for another rear and will change it myself this time.

j45p3r
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
I saved a bunch of money by taking the rear tire off myself. It really isn't that hard if you are remotely comfortable with wrenching. I bought my tire on Tire Rack for around $100 and my local Honda shop mounted it on the rim for me for $20. I didn't bother with balancing and just put in Ride On. No problems.

BajaRon
04-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Now that is funny :2thumbs::roflblack::clap::roflblack: got me rolling in the aisles.

Anyway does that T1R have better traction? /Ken

The only tire I can compare it to is the stock tire. I believe the dry traction is better on the T1R. I gauge this by cornering stiction as opposed to burnout traction. The T1R seems to spin easier than the stock tire, but I added some HP and low end torque about the same time I did the tire change. It may be more power to the rear wheel and not less traction causing the added spin.

Plus, a worn tire will actually give you better dry traction than a new tire because with less tread you are actually transitioning to a slick. So why would the new T1R corner better but spin easier?

Could also be that the tread on the T1R (and I'm pretty sure every other alternative tire) is 4 ply whereas the stock tire is just 2 ply tread. In cornering it is very possible that the 2 ply tire distorts with the lateral stress, losing footprint. The 4 ply tire is much less subject to lateral stress and should maintain a more uniform footprint while cornering.

I can say for sure that wet traction is better. I did not get as good wet traction with the new stock tire as I do with the T1R.

I think just about everyone has been happier with their aftermarket tire than with the stock tire regardless of brand or model. Not to say that some won't give you better service than others, and certainly price varies.

My #1 concern was wet traction as I had hydroplaned with the stock tire. Of course I was pushing it because I wanted to see where the break point was. But the purpose of an aftermarket tire (for me) was to improve wet traction without losing any dry traction.

While most (if not all) aftermarket tires will give you improved dry traction over the stock tire, (some maybe more than the T1R), not all will improve or even match the wet traction of the stock tire (which is relatively good).

So it boils down to your priorities as to which tire will work best for you.

BajaRon
04-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I saved a bunch of money by taking the rear tire off myself. It really isn't that hard if you are remotely comfortable with wrenching. I bought my tire on Tire Rack for around $100 and my local Honda shop mounted it on the rim for me for $20. I didn't bother with balancing and just put in Ride On. No problems.

:agree: You can really save some serious coin and end up with a better end result by doing it this way. Really gives you a great feeling and you have that cash to spend on some bling!