PDA

View Full Version : RT Side Panel Lower Fasteners???

3Ryder
04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
The two lower fasteners on the RT top side panels use a strange combination of metal screw, curved plastic peg and elongated rubber grommet. Having removed the screw entirely (which I guess was a mistake but the manual did not warn otherwise), I can't regain a secure grip as was the case when I first started to loosen them up.

Has anyone discovered another type of system for these particular fasteners?

NancysToy
04-17-2010, 10:03 PM
The fasteners are "security hex" type fasteners. You will need the appropriate "security hex" bit. I do recall reading a caution against removing these, in one of the manuals, BTW.

lawrenc454
04-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Sorry that you loosened them or took them out. They go in as you surmised at odd angles to grip the side panel in 3-axis. it will take some trial and error readjustment to get them re-aligned but you do need them and you need them at the correct angle.

My suggestion is go to the dealer of someone else with an RT and take their similar panel off and try to adjust those attachment points in alignment with the other RT's panel.

Good luck and ride safe. Lonnie

3Ryder
04-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Fortunately, I only removed one panel. Based on what you stated, I can pull the other panel and try to mimic the positioning.

But I still question this type of fastening system. I assume they are trying to accommodate some panel flex and movement, but I wonder if someone hasn't discovered other, more user-friendly systems?

Thanks, Lonnie.

3Ryder
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Was able to restore fasteners to correct position using other side panel as a guide. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than wise...

BTW...I checked the manual again and it instructs the removal of the screws...no warning that one just needs to gently turn the screw and pull the panel at the same time until it releases.

Oh, well...no harm, no foul.
:popcorn: