PDA

View Full Version : vibration from new toyo

capt.jim
04-17-2010, 04:19 PM
just installed a new toyo T1R, new bearings and seals, and marked the outside of the swingarm where the washers were before i took everything apart, removed the bottom shock bolt to remove the belt without moving the adjusters , put everything back together now have vibration noticable from 45 mph on up, went higher and lower on the belt tension, nothing seems to help, anybody else with the toyo or bf goodrich etc. notice this?

nudle
04-17-2010, 05:10 PM
:dontknow:try some Ride on Tire may be out of balance.

Recluze
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a new Toyo, bearings and so on and have had no problem with it after 3-4,000 mile.

The ride on idea may be the simplest solution. I have no experience with it but it looks like a logical way to address this problem.

mike3069
04-17-2010, 07:00 PM
:agree:If it was the belt, changing the tension should change the ENGINE RPM at which you feel any vibration. Since it sounds WHEEL SPEED related, it is most likely an out of balance tire and the Ride On should fix it.

capt.jim
04-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a new Toyo, bearings and so on and have had no problem with it after 3-4,000 mile.

The ride on idea may be the simplest solution. I have no experience with it but it looks like a logical way to address this problem.
how much air pressure are you using in the toyo, i have 28lbs. i had the tire balanced and added dynabeads after that, still the same

NautiBrit
04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
how much air pressure are you using in the toyo, i have 28lbs. i had the tire balanced and added dynabeads after that, still the same

I have a car tire and run it at 40psi. Recheck the tension, mine is about 180lbs on the gates gauge.

BLACK WIDOW
04-18-2010, 05:55 AM
just installed a new toyo T1R, new bearings and seals, and marked the outside of the swingarm where the washers were before i took everything apart, removed the bottom shock bolt to remove the belt without moving the adjusters , put everything back together now have vibration noticable from 45 mph on up, went higher and lower on the belt tension, nothing seems to help, anybody else with the toyo or bf goodrich etc. notice this?

I've put about 5000 miles on my Toyo T1R and it's smooth as butter. :D:thumbup:

Recluze
04-18-2010, 09:12 AM
I run 30 psi in the rear Toyo and 20 in my fronts. But honestly, I only check these a couple of times a year so that could be a bit off.

Did you do anything to the front pulley? They are prone to failure and if I remember correctly when mine started to go it gave me some odd sensations. Might be worth tightening the nut per the service bulletin.

But is still sounds like an out of balance tire. Maybe a weight fell off.

What are dynabeads? I can imagine but have not heard of them before. Everyone here seems to be in love with Ride On. I have some and have never installed it. You want it? I think it would be better to find the root cause of your problem before adding another level of complexity to the issue though.

Bottomline: it should not vibrate. I hear of people having problems with the rear view mirrors vibrating so bad they cannot see out of them. My bike is a lot smoother than that and as I suspect most are.

capt.jim
04-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I run 30 psi in the rear Toyo and 20 in my fronts. But honestly, I only check these a couple of times a year so that could be a bit off.

Did you do anything to the front pulley? They are prone to failure and if I remember correctly when mine started to go it gave me some odd sensations. Might be worth tightening the nut per the service bulletin.

But is still sounds like an out of balance tire. Maybe a weight fell off.

What are dynabeads? I can imagine but have not heard of them before. Everyone here seems to be in love with Ride On. I have some and have never installed it. You want it? I think it would be better to find the root cause of your problem before adding another level of complexity to the issue though.

Bottomline: it should not vibrate. I hear of people having problems with the rear view mirrors vibrating so bad they cannot see out of them. My bike is a lot smoother than that and as I suspect most are.
I retorqued the front pulley a week ago, it was tight, i have some Ride-On here, thanks for the offer, but agree with you,i shouldn't have to use it to try to cover up a problem. the weights are still on and they went back within a few inches of the original spyder weights. It doesn,t vibrate enough to affect the mirrors, just a buzz in the seat, rear area. I'm leaving for Leesburg bike fest Fri morning, i may try a BF Goodrich, just to see. If it's not the tire then i will have a brandnew spare around anyway

Recluze
04-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Good luck with all of that and let us know if you find the cause.

hondaman
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I put a bfg on 5k ago at work and didnt ballance it and she rides smooooth.
Had to ballance the front tires last month,got tired of the vibration.....

RShrimp
04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
If you replaced the tire and created a vibration, I would suspect the tire first. While the Toyo is a great tire, the modern manufacture process dictates a certian amout of failures. Maybe you gat a bad one!
Try another tire before you start fixing stuff that isnt broke.

capt.jim
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
that's what i was thinking, as i can't see any other reason, i can get the factory Kenda and have Broward Motorsports mount and balance it or get the BF goodrich G force sport and take it there to get it balanced. any thoughts? i just put new michelin pilot exalto's on the front because the kenda's wouldn't balance even with ride-on, smooth as glass now

RShrimp
04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
I might just get another Toyo. The point is to get a different tire, not nessesaraly a different brand.
When it is time, I am going with the Michilen's up front as well.

capt.jim
04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
the Toyo looks perfect when i jack it up and spin it, perfectly round, I'm having trouble believing it is the tire, too many good reports. just took it up to 80 and pulled in the clutch, vibration went away.pulled the panels and looked at the front pulley, looks perfect, no cracks and the bolt is tight, checked it with a torque wrench last week, I don't have a tension gauge but have tried the belt looser and tighter,no noise from the belt either way. The Toyo's are really hard to find right now as they have been backordered since Nov, but "Buywheelstoday.com" had 1 left after mine, 1-866-747-6427 if anybody's interested. Thanks for the input everyone, i love this forum!:banghead:

NancysToy
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
the Toyo looks perfect when i jack it up and spin it, perfectly round, I'm having trouble believing it is the tire, too many good reports. just took it up to 80 and pulled in the clutch, vibration went away.pulled the panels and looked at the front pulley, looks perfect, no cracks and the bolt is tight, checked it with a torque wrench last week, I don't have a tension gauge but have tried the belt looser and tighter,no noise from the belt either way. The Toyo's are really hard to find right now as they have been backordered since Nov, but "Buywheelstoday.com" had 1 left after mine, 1-866-747-6427 if anybody's interested. Thanks for the input everyone, i love this forum!:banghead:
If you pull in the clutch at speed and the vibration goes away, the vibration is not likely to be from the tire, wheel bearings, or belt,. These are still moving at 80 with the clutch in. More likely a clutch or engine problem, bad motor mounts, or a bad pulley, output shaft, or output shaft bearing. These take more of a load under power. Not sure why it would show up coincidental with the tire change.

RShrimp
04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
If you pull in the clutch at speed and the vibration goes away, the vibration is not likely to be from the tire, wheel bearings, or belt,. These are still moving at 80 with the clutch in. More likely a clutch or engine problem, bad motor mounts, or a bad pulley, output shaft, or output shaft bearing. These take more of a load under power. Not sure why it would show up coincidental with the tire change.
Agreed on two counts:
coincidental and not the tire based on that last test.
Although you said it happens around 45mph. That is around the normal speed for a tire. (it has to do with how fast it is spinning)
Example: Driveshaft vibration is most noticable at around 15 mph
Very strange issue.

Try this:
Run it up to the vibration speed in several different gears and see if the max vibration speed stays the same or changes by what gear your in.

Pull in the clutch but keep the revs constant.

While I sort of agree with Scotty, The 45 MPH thing screams tire or something rotating at the same speed as the tire.

Since you took the torque off and it quit, maybe the rear belt pully????

krb1945
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
you installed the new tire and bearings? If you haven't already done so... you may want to take the tire and wheel to your local kuckle draggers and have them spin it to test the balance.

I hate to say this but I have recently seen some bad bearings right out of the box but more than likely if you only have 180 on the drive belt that is what is causing the vibration. I know everytime I get a belt with less than 240 on that little tension guage it starts vibrating at 40. As soon as I increase it back to above that 240 thresh hold it smooths out again. /Ken

BajaRon
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
This is the first vibration issue I've heard with a Toyo tire. Though every manufacturer, no matter how good they are, have a failure now and then.

I've got over 3,000 miles on the Toyo T1R and it has been smooth as silk from day one no matter what tire pressure I use. Instead of having it balanced I pulled all the weight off and put Ride-On in (on Lamont's recommendation). I was surprised but Lamont was right! How about that!? :D

Not only does it save the cost of balancing but it balances the tire over a wider speed range and will self adjust as the tire wears (which weights cannot do). Not to mention the benefit of flat protection.

Until your last post I was thinking it could be a bad balance job (it happens) or a bad tire (this too happens).

But pulling the clutch in at speed will not alter either of these conditions so I'd say you have effectively ruled out the tire or balance as the source of you problem.

Pulling in the clutch at speed will greatly affect belt vibration. If you're sure your pully is good I'd say belt tension is your problem. Especially since you did not have this condition before changing the tire (and most likely changing belt tension).

I have been surprised at how much you have to screw the tension adjusters in or out to get significant change in belt tension. Actually, this is a good thing since you can get a very accurate adjustment.

Without some way to measure tension you are really working in the dark. I adjusted my belt from 260 lbs. to 200 lbs. before my trip to Cuba and it changed my vibration issues quite a bit. I'm not happy with it so I'm going to lower it to 180 and see what I get.

I suggest getting a gauge so you have some idea if, and how much, you are really changing your belt tension.

krb1945
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Ride On to balance you tires you can also use dyna beads. I use them on the GL1800 tires and find them to be excellent. I have a gigantic tire on the rear of the wing and use 3 oz of beads and 2 oz in the front. And best of all they re-balance the tires every time you start off from a stop. /Ken

capt.jim
04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
I was tempted to pull the whole rear assembly apart to check everything again bearings ,cushdrive etc, but i noticed it immediately, the bearings couldn't have failed that quickly. The tire is perfectly round when i spin it, unlike the Kenda's, had it balanced on a good machine, took 3/4 ounce, same as the original within a few inches apart, 50 miles later added Dynabeads, no improvement. I'm picking up the krikit tensioner tommorrow, but have already tried higher and lower and everywhere in between, no belt noise either way, just a vibration that i didn't have with the wornout kenda. i did bump the airpressure up to 40Lbs. from 28, just to see, seemed a little better, had the wife on the back also. when i get the gauge i will see what it is, and try for 200-220. Thats with it on the ground, right? It seems there are a few with vibration problems, steering, footpegs, mirrors etc., mine isn't as bad as some of the others have described, i could live with it, but it wasn't there before and i want it gone. I'll get to the bottom of it one way or another, then maybe i can sleep again!

krb1945
04-20-2010, 04:22 AM
I use a motorcycle jack and lift it just enough to have the rear off the ground. This is the way the Can-Am paper back shop manual says to do it. Most of the auto parts stores have that inexpensive tension gauge. if I set my low side tension below 240 mine vibrates but other members have set theirs as low as 180 with out vibration. I suspect that mine vibrates below 240 because I will cruise on the country roads at 35 in 4th gear and 45 in 5th gear... yep... I can see members cringing. I just like to see the country bugs fly by my head. /Ken

capt.jim
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
45 in 5th is nothing to cringe about, plenty of power at that speed for cruising. Well i picked up the kriket adjuster today, checked my tension, about 300 Lbs.. lowered it down to about 210, still a vibrating buzz. came home and pulled the wheel off, disassembled everything, bearings felt fine, crush tube was snug. Tommorrow i will take the wheel to the dealer, break the bead loose and remove the dynabeads and weights and start anew, the process of elimination. It's a pain in the ass but not as much as the vibration! I see your in Fl. also, going to Leesburg?, I'm trying!

krb1945
04-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I've got the body off my black unit getting ready to respray it a nice dark honda blue. Looking at spraying only the ares that are yellow or red the blue and leave the other areas black.

I just finished my grand daughters new bug paint and maintenance and have to take it back to Virginia this weekend. If Leesburg is this weekend I can't make it. /Ken