PDA

View Full Version : Spot Satellite Messenger

glynnk
04-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I'll be taking a Smokey Mountain ride early this summer and was interested in buying a Spot Satellite unit. Is anybody using one and where do you mount it on an RT or do you wear it on a belt?

Glynnk

rineer4635
04-18-2010, 06:28 AM
I have one but do not have my Spyder yet.(it is ordered, will be here in May)
I just wanted to say that I use my Spot for snowmobiling and that it is a great product.
Make sure that you use the Spot Adventure feature. You can attach photos to your track and a lot of other good stuff. On my snowmobile I clip the Spot unit behind the windshield on the dash bag, works fine. Let me know how you attach yours. :popcorn::popcorn:

Jester
04-18-2010, 07:19 AM
We have used the SPOT traveling by boat. Now it stays in the Spyder. Lots of fun and it notifies your friends where you are. I like the two buttons where you have your designated contacts send help:helpsmilie: and finally the 911 button that sends the entire calvary:2thumbs:.

jbim
04-18-2010, 08:02 AM
I would tell you, do not hesitate one minute. Buy a SPOT. It may save your life. Now the question where to put it is a very good one. If you travel alone, in remote areas, I would say you must keep it on you. If you are ever thrown off your bike, you may not be able to fetch it from the bike. If you travel with someone else, chances are you will not crash both at the same time, in which case having it in a tank bag is probably OK.

mike3069
04-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Spot Satellite:hun:

What is this?

Anyone got a link?

rineer4635
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Spot Satellite:hun:

What is this?

Anyone got a link? www.findmespot.com (http://www.findmespot.com)
Basically this is a device that will track your location every 10 minutes and then you can go online and set up trips that you took, add pictures,etc.
But the main purpose is that if you have trouble, you can notify family or friends for help, OR you press 911 and SPOT sends out the local calvary NO MATTER where you are in the world. The device is a little larger than a pack of cigarettes.

glynnk
05-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Recently purchased a SPOT II. I'd like to mount it to the handlebar some way. Anybody who has a SPOT done that? The SPOT I is "square" shapped with SPOT II more "rounded". Others that I've seen are mounted on traditionally shaped motorcycle handlebars. :dontknow:

Glynnk

bruceofthebronx
05-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Recently purchased a SPOT II. I'd like to mount it to the handlebar some way. Anybody who has a SPOT done that? The SPOT I is "square" shapped with SPOT II more "rounded". Others that I've seen are mounted on traditionally shaped motorcycle handlebars. :dontknow:

Glynnk
How about a Ram mount & Aquabox? My only concern is if you were ever thrown from your Spyder, I'd want the Spot to be on me? Hope you never need the SOS button, Ride safe.

glynnk
05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
How about a Ram mount & Aquabox? My only concern is if you were ever thrown from your Spyder, I'd want the Spot to be on me? Hope you never need the SOS button, Ride safe.
Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind. I may just have to get used to the thing danglling off my belt loop......BTW, what's an Aquabox?

Glynnk

bruceofthebronx
05-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind. I may just have to get used to the thing danglling off my belt loop......BTW, what's an Aquabox?

Glynnk
Google Ram mounts aand search for their Aqua Box, available nin different sizes, totally waterproof.

2manycars
05-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a friend who is a member of the IRON BUTT association-long rides no stops mainly. He has a 300cc Sym scooter and last month did a 4500 mile ride in 9 days on his scooter no it is not normal!).

We used the spot to track his progress and it was great, right down to zooming in and seeing where he stopped and at what time. After he was able to create a picture/event log integrated with the spot. Nice device!

I have not used the emergency features, but always thought it would be nice if in the event of a crash the unit automatically sent a distress call.