PDA

View Full Version : modified seat

roller
04-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, been riding my 08 for 2 years now and have all my mods done but need to do something about a more comfortable seat for the T4 para "noassatall" syndrome! I also broke my tailbone in 03 and it hurts like crazy from the pressure so I need to try and isolate (float) that area. Girlfriend and I took six days riding up coast from San Diego to Monterey last summer, had the best time but on the way back she started to sit on my wheelchairs low profile roho cushion for last couple hundred miles and she has a butt:yikes:!! Just looking for any ideas/input on a good way to go. I have bought a couple used stock seats so I have a supply to work with. I don't want to sit any higher, just more comfortable as I am itching to go touring. On my old sidecar bikes I tried the "airhawks" and gel pads but they didn't help with the tail pressure and that's when I found out it sucks to be raised any higher up on the seat. I should probably post some pics of my mods though I am re-doing my wheelchair carry rack at present as the angle of it is a tad off. Thanks and look forward to suggestions. Roller:cheers:

stewgod
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. (T3 para / MC accident / Pasadena CA)

I am looking into kontour seats (approx. $1,000), and utopia back rests (aprox. $250). Also ultimateseats.ca company is about to start up making their own too - avail end of feb, beg. march.

Rando
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I have the Kontour seat with the Utopia backrest and I think it's AWESOME compared to the stock!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20912&highlight=kontour+seat

stewgod
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
so ya think tha kontour was worth it? did you have any special padding modifications?

Rando
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
For me, it was worth it. Nothing special with the padding.

stewgod
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
is the fabric cooling; like it states?

i guess it allows the air to pass underneath when seated riding?

& when parked - can ya just jump on and not deal with trying to cool it off? (does the sun heat it up to frying pan temps, like the stock skin???)

DougB
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I've had many aftermarket seats on 2 wheelers. Currently I have a Corbin on my RT. The very best i've found is Russell Cycles "Day Long Seat". About the same price as the Corbin, but you must furnish the seat pan. Russell Cycles is in California. They have a website and many options.

Rando
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
see answers below

is the fabric cooling; like it states? Yes, some times it is too cool!

i guess it allows the air to pass underneath when seated riding? Absolutely!

& when parked - can ya just jump on and not deal with trying to cool it off? (does the sun heat it up to frying pan temps, like the stock skin???)It never gets hot!

For me, the seat was well worth it! I HIGHLY recommend the Kontour (http://kontourseat.com/) seat with the Utopia (http://www.utpr.com/) backrest! :2thumbs:

3Willie
06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
I have been riding on a Kontour seat since early this season and have found it to be very comfortable. The hottest day that I have ridden was about 90 degrees but the seat was cooler than anything else I have tried including my Airhawk. It is comfortable even after sitting in the sun for quite a while--not even hot when I got on. Also rode for about 3 hours in various amount of rain from light to heavy. It sheds water well and did not need a rain cover. The fabric is amazing in the amount of air flow under your butt.:ohyea::2thumbs: