PDA

View Full Version : Scala G4 Review

Prense01
04-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Since our pair of G4s arrived today, I figured I would start a review beginning with first impressions.

1) Packaging seemed adequate. One of the two boxes was slightly torn, but everything on the inside was well wrapped and protected. Contents included the mount, bluetooth module, 2 Velcro pads, extra mic sock, Allen wrench to secure the mount screws, AC-USB charge adapted, USB cord for charging and firmware updates, Manual, coiled audio connector for using a non-BT MP3 player with 90 degree connectors on both ends...nice touch.

2) charging the units was straight forward.

3) pairing the units to each other was a very simple procedure as was pairing to a 2nd gen IPOD touch, iPhone 3G and Blackberry curve 8310.

4) instruction manual is adequate, but could be better. Yes, it describes what to do for each mode, etc, but it is worded in a confusing manner.

5) buttons are easy to locate and use with typical gloves. Some may be difficult to feel with winter gloves. The volume buttons are in a good location an large enough to use with any type of glove.

6) navigating through the modes is cumbersome. I could not imagine fooling around with the unit much while driving. There are voice prompts, but they are limited. Numberous beeps though...if you can only figure out what they are tying to tell you. The manipulation of the modes will probably be easier after getting accustomed to the unit.

7) this thing is LOUD! It lacks in low frequency response though. It is clear at all volume settings.

8) helmet mounting was simple using the clamp method. Working speaker placement was tedious. It took about 30 minutes per helmet to install these. We are using the boom mic version with full face helmets. About 1" of clearance between the rider's mouth and the chin guard is needed to use the boom mic version with a full face helmet.

9) vox worked very well. iPhone stops playing music when vox activates and resumes right where it left off after the unit returns to stby mode. To initiate vox, you have to initially speak very loud...not yell, but like you are talking to someone behind a closed door. Once vox initiates, you can talk normally. Do not expect the other person to hear what you said when you talk loud to activate the vox. The iPod touch did not stop playing music when intercom kicked in. It muted, but the unit kept playing. After returning to stby mode, the iPod could not be heard through the unit. One other note, the iPod did not automatically reconnect the BT connection when the unit turns on. The iPhone connects automaically. This appears to be an issue with the iPod, not the G4. I will contact the company to confirm. I expect a BT adapter for the iPod would correct this. Apple did weird things with iPod BT. I rate the quality of intercom as 9 of 10. The delay will take some getting used to. For music quality with iPod/iPhone I rate a 8 of 10 due to lacking low frequency response.

10) phone operation is flawless if you have a phone that auto answers. The person on the other end has no idea you have a helmet on, and they sound very crisp and clear. 10 of 10!

I will test the corded music input as well as the battery life over the next few days. I will see how many days of use this will go without a charge and I will log my ride times.

More to come....

Chris :doorag:

AutumnCat
04-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Great review!

We just ordered a G4 Powerset tonight. It looks like a great set up and just what we need (plus a little more for the moment).

Found a great price at http://www.performancemoto.com/.
They sell on e-bay, but with a 5% discount on their website it was cheaper to order with them directly.

Can't wait to get the set and see how it works for us!

Prense01
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Rode about 100 miles today. With foam earplugs, had set the volume at about midrange and it was vey comfortable as well as audible. Still have not charged at all. I left the unit on the entire time out...while in the store, etc. Battery seems fine I will not charge it until it is completely dead to see how long it lasts. Ride time was only an hour and 40 minutes. All other on time was in standby mode I guess. All one up riding today. Tomorrow, I will ride with my wife and we will further evaluate the intercom.

Prense01
04-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Another 80 miles today...Intercom was on the entire time. I did not allow either unit to go into standby mode. We listened to the bike's stereo and just used to G4's to talk back and forth to each other. They were on about 2 hours total for this trip. I still have not charged them since I received them last Thursday. Intercom was very good in the open channel mode. The bike's stereo was loud enough to be heard at 70mph. The stereo was only about halfway up...rediculously loud.

Prense01
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Another 74 miles yesterday music playing the entire time. Only one up, so no intercom this time. Still on the 1st charge (4/15/2010)...no indicators telling me to charge the battery yet. I should probably add that I have left the G4 on my helmet this entire time in the trunk of the spYder when not riding. Temperature range has been mid 30's - mid 60's during this period. Humidity has been unusually high as well. Yesterday's ride was wet, but not really raining...more of a constant mist.

Prense01
05-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Just noticed that I never did update this...

I ended up going a full week with no charging needed (500 miles total). At the end of the week, it still did not indicate a weak battery. Last Saturday, we planned a nice long trip, so I went ahead and charged it.

All in all, I am very pleased with this product and setup. I have an Arai Vector on order, so I will have to swap everything over. Hopefully, there will be no issues with fit and speaker placement in the Arai.

Chris :spyder:

tatt2r
05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Just noticed that I never did update this...

I ended up going a full week with no charging needed (500 miles total). At the end of the week, it still did not indicate a weak battery. Last Saturday, we planned a nice long trip, so I went ahead and charged it.

All in all, I am very pleased with this product and setup. I have an Arai Vector on order, so I will have to swap everything over. Hopefully, there will be no issues with fit and speaker placement in the Arai.

i have the Q2 version and love them ....but the stereo bluetooth from IPHONE would be great ... thanks for write up .... where did you order yours from..

Prense01
05-02-2010, 11:44 AM
i have the Q2 version and love them ....but the stereo bluetooth from IPHONE would be great ... thanks for write up .... where did you order yours from..

Revzilla...

Wabbit
09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
What kinds of helmets do you have them mounted to and did you have to use the adhesive or were you able to use the clip mount?

Have you registered your headsets online? You should do the software updates for your units. This may resolve a few issues like the iTouch problem you mentioned early on.

I am on the fence as to which units I want to buy. The Sena SMH10 has better reviews from WebBikeWorld as far as ease of use (one button and a toggle dial, but the Scala has more features, such as conferencing which is handy for group rides. I don't really think its being software upgradable is a selling point to me. They'll be coming out with better versions soon which will have the latest software anyway. And like the evolution of the motherboard, the G4's will only be upgradable to a certain point.

I'd like to see one that accepts ear buds, and has a removable battery. I don't like the idea of buying $350 worth of disposable com devices. There have been plenty of reviewers that noted battery charging problems with the Scala units right out of the box.

The Sena is much easier to access during a ride, and has larger speakers. It is also waterproof. No battery issues have been reported from reviewers.

If you think it sounds tinny then move the speakers behind and not on the headliner. Farther away from your ears it will let the ear pockets of the helmet act as speaker enclosures. Sounds silly, but it works.

I have a Bell Star helmet. It comes with removable foam in the ear cups. I would velcro the speakers to the shell and place the foam in front of them and then attach the headliner. Also, place the speakers slightly in front of your ears.

I have been in constant touch with Anthony from Revzilla. He uses the Sena and says it's fantastic and easy to use.

The Scala looks cooler, but as you have pointed out, what good's looking cool on your helmet do you when you look stupid and get frustrated while fumbling trying to access functions?

That's why I'm on the fence.... Do I want more functions, upgrade ability, or something that simply works and is highly intuitive from the get-go? I'm leaning towards the Sena. But I am hoping to see the next gens come out for both soon and hoping for detachable batteries and the option to use my own ear buds before I dish out the $350-$400.

By the way, I don't own a Spyder. I just saw the link as a review of the Scala G4 intercoms.