PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a problem with coolant temp sensor?

Pelican_Racing
04-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I tried search but I can't seem to find it. I had an overheat issue last week and thought it was the fan relay, but swapped it with the light relay and it seems fine.

Pulled the code and got P0116 and P0117 which points to the coolant temperature sensor. Do these things go bad? I tried to read the voltage but couldn't get a good number since it fluctuates wildly. I don't think I have a ground wire issue.

Anyone else seen this before? The bike starts fine, but the "temp" spikes up from 0 to 8 bars within 15 seconds and the CEL comes on. Went into "Limp Mode" the first time, then cleared it up and now it's coming back.

-Hong

M2Wild
04-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Take a look on the radiator. I think the sensor is located at one of its corner with wire connected to it. Possibily the coolent pump? 0 to 8 in 15 is crazy.

groundeffect
04-16-2010, 07:27 AM
I tried search but I can't seem to find it. I had an overheat issue last week and thought it was the fan relay, but swapped it with the light relay and it seems fine.

Pulled the code and got P0116 and P0117 which points to the coolant temperature sensor. Do these things go bad? I tried to read the voltage but couldn't get a good number since it fluctuates wildly. I don't think I have a ground wire issue.

Anyone else seen this before? The bike starts fine, but the "temp" spikes up from 0 to 8 bars within 15 seconds and the CEL comes on. Went into "Limp Mode" the first time, then cleared it up and now it's coming back.

-Hong

Hi Hong, I'm guessing you've already checked the coolant level in the reservoir up front? What was the level?

If you're getting a heat spike to 8 bars in only 15seconds, it may likely be a failed sensor, but I'm only guessing.

krb1945
04-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Yep they do go bad... I've seen some for other vehicles recently that were bad right out of the box... meaning they were brand new sensors. And your description points to a defective temp sensor. /Ken

groundeffect
04-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Yep they do go bad... I've seen some for other vehicles recently that were bad right out of the box... meaning they were brand new sensors. And your description points to a defective temp sensor. /Ken

Hi Ken, I think you are right.

So, just curious, would something like this be covered under warranty. I guess yes.
Thoughts?

thanks.

altonk
04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
yep
I had a oil pressure sensor go bad. diaphram broke and leaked oil. They replaced under warranty no charge

groundeffect
04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
yep
I had a oil pressure sensor go bad. diaphram broke and leaked oil. They replaced under warranty no charge

Curious to know at home many miles it failed?

thanks

krb1945
04-16-2010, 10:29 AM
if the machine is fairly new it should be covered by the warranty... but I also think some of the service centers will try to have to owner pay for it. Then they just might have BRP warranty it without telling the owner. Pure profit motives... not all but we all know that some will do this very thing.

Also some will say it is a consumable normal wear part just like spark plugs and air & oil filters unless it is a brand new machine say less than a thousand miles. It is difficult to know how some of them reason things out. /Ken

bone crusher
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
if the machine is fairly new it should be covered by the warranty... but I also think some of the service centers will try to have to owner pay for it. Then they just might have BRP warranty it without telling the owner. Pure profit motives... not all but we all know that some will do this very thing.

Also some will say it is a consumable normal wear part just like spark plugs and air & oil filters unless it is a brand new machine say less than a thousand miles. It is difficult to know how some of them reason things out. /Ken

That's really dishonest and I can't imagine any dealership doing that...unless they want to be shut down...a two year warranty is just that...anything that goes wrong, BRP will fix...

Roaddog2
04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
That's really dishonest and I can't imagine any dealership doing that...unless they want to be shut down...a two year warranty is just that...anything that goes wrong, BRP will fix...
:agree:they BRP I would Imagine audits for stuff like that.I know H-D does and could get dealership pulled :doorag: Had a relative lose a H-D dealership over it in the 80s my Brother In law Uncle opened another store and was cheating and lost dealership :doorag:

Pelican_Racing
04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) is located on the rear cylinder head. The only wires going to the radiator are for the fan itself.

I'm just going to order a new one since I can't seem to find any other issue. Coolant level is fine, never even touched it before.

Sucks to happen at only 211 miles (yeah, not a typo). I'm not covered by the warranty anymore.

Thanks,
Hong

groundeffect
04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) is located on the rear cylinder head. The only wires going to the radiator are for the fan itself.

I'm just going to order a new one since I can't seem to find any other issue. Coolant level is fine, never even touched it before.

Sucks to happen at only 211 miles (yeah, not a typo). I'm not covered by the warranty anymore.

Thanks,
Hong

Too bad you are outside the warranty period, however, it does not look too expensive.

I 'think', I have the correct part, but not sure. - It's NUMBER 37 in the picture - brp part number: 420274040

37 SENSEUR.*TEMPERATURE SENSOR
420274040 1 $32.49
http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/Can-Am/2009/Motorcycles/26248_03r0914b.gif

Hope that helps.

krb1945
04-16-2010, 03:02 PM
they are usually infrequent... sometimes once every 4 or 5 years and some never audit. I have first hand knowledge of three different chain type operations that operated that way for more than 10 years before the parent company decided to pull the franchises. And to be absolutely frank... the parent companies did not pull the franchises until cbs 60 minutes did an investigation and reported it one Sunday evening.

As a matter of fact if you remember not many years ago a certain very large operator was stopped from doing auto repairs in a couple of west coast states. This was one of the biggest chain operations in the country. If you want to know the name of this chain pm me and I'll tell you.

So crooked operations do exist./Ken krb1945-OEM

Pelican_Racing
04-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Yup, that's the part. Local dealer has it at $35. I guess that's the Bay Area Tax. :)

-Hong

groundeffect
04-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Yup, that's the part. Local dealer has it at $35. I guess that's the Bay Area Tax. :)

-Hong
Not bad, good stuff!:thumbup:

Cheers and feel free to let us know how things go when you get it installed.

I wonder if it is a big job, or is that temp sensor easy to access?:dontknow:

Good luck.

Pelican_Racing
04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Not bad, good stuff!:thumbup:

Cheers and feel free to let us know how things go when you get it installed.

I wonder if it is a big job, or is that temp sensor easy to access?:dontknow:

Good luck.

Just to update everyone, the new CTS resolved the issues. Fan comes on at 5 bars and shut off at 4 bars. Spyder overheating issue is *hopefully* banished for good!

As far as the sensor location, it is really easy to get to on *my* vehicle. For regular Spyders I would assume a lot of bodywork is removed to get to the rear cylinder head.

-Hong

SpyderWolf
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Just to update everyone, the new CTS resolved the issues. Fan comes on at 5 bars and shut off at 4 bars. Spyder overheating issue is *hopefully* banished for good!

As far as the sensor location, it is really easy to get to on *my* vehicle. For regular Spyders I would assume a lot of bodywork is removed to get to the rear cylinder head.

-Hong

Good to know your modifications paid off in more than one way. :thumbup:

Also glad it was nothing too serious, and you are back in action.