PDA

View Full Version : First rush-hour traffic jam

ArmyJoe
04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I got caught in my first rush-hour traffic jam this morning. I was at idle or barely moving for an hour. The air temperature was about 60 degrees and the Spyder got up to 6 bars. At about 45-minutes in, I had light smoke come out of the right dashboard vent. It lasted about two seconds and didn't repeat. Any idea what that was?

Is it legal to push an operable motorcycle on the shoulder? The last mile of traffic jam was downhill and I could have easily walked it and saved some engine wear.

Thanks,
Joe

effgjamis
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
:roflblack:Why push ?... Roll.:roflblack:

boborgera
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
:roflblack:Why push ?... Roll.:roflblack:
:agree:They roll quite easily, especially on a slight hill. mine went 50 yards all by it's self.:yikes:
As it was rolling away All i could hear was what my Father would always say,
What's the point of being stupid if you don't show it every now and then:roflblack:

ArmyJoe
04-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Of course I was going to let it roll. I sure as heck wasn't going to push it for a mile.

I'm just wondering what kind of legal trouble I could get into trying to bypass a traffic jam by rolling/pushing it in the shoulder.

groundeffect
04-14-2010, 05:35 PM
At about 45-minutes in, I had light smoke come out of the right dashboard vent. It lasted about two seconds and didn't repeat. Any idea what that was?

Really not sure.... it 'may' be possible that a drop of oil (from the airbox - ie:blow-by oil that ended up in the airbox) dropped on the hot radiator???:dontknow:

If you seen smoke, I would get under the panels to take a look, for sure.nojoke

SpyderGirl
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I had a similar experience sitting in traffic some time ago.... up hill, bumper to bumper for about 5 or 6 miles, 70 degrees... the temp gauge maxed out and the Spyder scrolled a message regarding the engine temperature and yadda yadda. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned it off, checked the relays, went to start her up again about 10 minutes later and the dash was dead. Took about 20 minutes or more before I was able to get the Spyder to respond and get back on the road.

boborgera
04-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Of course I was going to let it roll. I sure as heck wasn't going to push it for a mile.

I'm just wondering what kind of legal trouble I could get into trying to bypass a traffic jam by rolling/pushing it in the shoulder.

I know if you bye pass a traffic light by going thru a gas station or a parking lot Etc,Etc. you can get a ticket, If there's a cop at the bottom and he's having a bad day,:D you might make his day.:yikes:

boborgera
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
:agree:
Really not sure.... it 'may' be possible that a drop of oil (from the airbox - ie:blow-by oil that ended up in the airbox) dropped on the hot radiator???:dontknow:

If you seen smoke, I would get under the panels to take a look, for sure.nojoke
:agree:I would look at the bottom of your air box. You can just put your hand through the opening on the right side [behind the radiator] reach up and run your hand along the bottom of the air box,if it's dripping you'll know right away. No panels have to be removed to do this.