PDA

View Full Version : Mirror extension comparison...

bone crusher
04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
As one of the few here to have tried both KM and ESI mirror extensions, I thought I'd share my experiences with both products.

Don't get me wrong....I never intended to spend about $300.00 for mirror extensions, but for the KM and ESI products, that's what it turned out to be...I originally had the KM extensions, but as I rode more, I really started to yearn for something that offered more.

I was on a quest to find the best fitting extensions that didn't vibrate and offered me the best visibility...vibration was my biggest gripe with the KM product.

So, here's my comparison.

The ESI extensions have the benefit of being a second generation product. They are heavier and angle out and up...this is HUGE if you're a taller rider. I was having problems with my KM extensions as I'd be looking down at them and angling them was quite difficult. This became a bigger issue when I got risers on the bike.

I also continually had a serious vibration issue no matter how tight I locked the things in...I almost felt as though I was going to break something! I don't know if some bikes vibrate more than others, but at highway speeds, the mirrors were virtually useless except for seeing just blocky shapes.

Anyway, after a few conversations on this board, it looked like Matt wouldn't be able to resolve the issue anytime soon, so I opted to give the ESI product a try...

Let me tell you...there is a substantial difference...the ESI product will still vibrate, but nowhere near as severely as the KM. This is most noticeable at higher speeds. In fact, whereas my KM extensions would start vibrating at around 30 mph, the ESI extensions don't start vibrating until I'm over 50....this translates to better vehicle recognition as you go faster...I think the heavier weight and better fastener configuration for the mirror 'stalk' help with this. The washer also really helps to lock things in. The up and out configuration also helps with visibility...

I don't wish to knock the KM product as when it first came out, it was the only option, and at the time, was a good one. It sure beat stock mirrors. With the creation of the ESI mirror extensions, the mirror situation has taken another big step forward.

Reduced vibration and better visibility are apparent with the ESI mirror extensions. I like them and intend to keep for a long time...if something else comes out will I be likely to switch again?? No...I believe the ESI extensions suit my needs just fine. I think you can benefit from either product, but being I've had both of them now and have had the luxury of comparing them directly, I'd say that the ESI extensions have the upper hand with this product comparison.

Neez
04-14-2010, 01:08 AM
There is another alternative. I left the stock mirrors as they were and attached handlebar end mirrors. To the glass of the bar mirrors I stuck on large 3 inch round convex blind spot mirrors. Vibration is not a problem at all, probably because it affects a flat surface more than a curved one. Objects are smaller but the field of view is wider. An easy, inexpensive mod which can be quickly removed if it does not suit you. Works very well for me.

SpyderWolf
04-14-2010, 05:49 AM
That one thing that bite having 2 rides you end up buying 2 of everything we just put the ESI on and they do as stated but have to say when it cost 150 each ride make me want to learn how to run my mill again. do get me wrong just I take I have a Harley now where anything for it cost WaAAyy more than a hundred dollar bill:yikes: when you do 2 of everything it adds up fast

:agree: and am in the same boat being a 2 Spyder family. We just installed the Up and Outs on my wife's Spyder last week, and she absolutely loves them as well. She also commented about the reduced vibration. She had another set of extensions on there, but I cannot remember which ones they were. I am still running stock at this point, and have lots of mirror vibration without any extensions. There is a chance that some Spyders do actually vibrate more than others which gets pushed out to the mirrors. I may eventually get the extensions, but right now I have other mods I want to do first.

MarkLawson
04-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the comparison. I put the KM's on my wife's Spyder & found the design to be crude. I'll be replacing them.

bone crusher
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the comparison. I put the KM's on my wife's Spyder & found the design to be crude. I'll be replacing them.

Yeah...you'll be pleased with the ESIs...they look good on the bike and are very functional...I was impressed with the weight of them and that upward tilt helps a lot too...

ataDude
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah...you'll be pleased with the ESIs...they look good on the bike and are very functional...I was impressed with the weight of them and that upward tilt helps a lot too...

Didn't believe me back in October, 2009? :yikes: :D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14770

DragonSpyder
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Anyone have pics of the ESI extentions?

ataDude
04-14-2010, 02:54 PM

See my thread linked above.

dltang
04-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Yup check out this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17798&highlight=Mirror+Extensions this is where I wrote a full review of my ESI Up & Out mirror Extensions. I love them. I highly recommend them to anyone.

Desert Spyder
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I lost one of those plastic back plates on the mirror arm and now my mirror is flopping around like a broken arm. Do you need it for the extension?

bone crusher
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Didn't believe me back in October, 2009? :yikes: :D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14770

:bowdown::bowdown: You were right...it's a much better product!

bone crusher
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I lost one of those plastic back plates on the mirror arm and now my mirror is flopping around like a broken arm. Do you need it for the extension?

:hun: Are you referring to those pieces that pop out? You can reinsert them with the ESI extensions and glue them in...I left them out as they serve no function...they don't affect the tightness of your mirror...more likely loosening popped the space filler plastic piece out. If we're talking about the same parts, they have no effect on your mirror tightness....you'll have to take out your torque wrench and really lock that bolt down...that makes sure you're tight from the bike to the extension...then tighten the underside Allen bolt to lock the mirror stalk to the extension. I have done this with a decent amount of force and they certainly stay still. If you're worried, use a bit of blue locktite...it will keep things in place nicely...

NancysToy
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
The plastic pieces are just hole fillers. If your mirrors flop around, they are inadequately tightened. In addition, the locating tabs may not have been lined up, or could be sheared off. You don't need the plastic pieces for the extensions, but you may want them for looks. Use Goop or RTV silicone to secure them.

GeneralKaishi
04-15-2010, 03:20 AM
I picked up the up and out mirror extensions from ESI and noticed they will not work with the large 25" windshield from BRP. As there is a .125 - .250" gap between the mirror stalk and the bottom edge of the windshield.

draboo
04-16-2010, 12:01 AM
I installed them today. They work wonderful. I did find that a 3/8 lag bolt with a pair of channelocks works great for pulling out the plastic spacers.

Also, I ve never seen those electrical connectors before that were included in the kit. Those things worked awesome!

We went for a short ride and they work great. No more hands in the mirrors.:D

cspotts
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Had a great chat with Evan today! Seems like a solid guy to work with! I am looking forward to getting my extensions.

Thanks for all who post and provide solid information on the boards.

Chad

Magic Man
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Had a great chat with Evan today! Seems like a solid guy to work with! I am looking forward to getting my extensions.

Thanks for all who post and provide solid information on the boards.

Chad

Chad it was good to hear from you today! :2thumbs:

Thanks for your order! :yes:

If you have any questions give us a call. :thumbup:

MM

Firefly
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I've also had both extensions.... first the KM and now the ESI and hands down I like the ESI MUCH better. Looks better, built better, works better.:thumbup:

Magic Man
05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I've also had both extensions.... first the KM and now the ESI and hands down I like the ESI MUCH better. Looks better, built better, works better.:thumbup:

Thanks! :thumbup:

MM

BillGargan
05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Curious!

I have the KewlMetal extenders.

I have never had any meaningful or noticeable mirror vibration with or before I got the extenders -- at any speed up to 75 or so.

This vibration issue has had some commentary on the board -- I wonder just how prevalent an issue it is?

I also continually had a serious vibration issue no matter how tight I locked the things in...I almost felt as though I was going to break something! I don't know if some bikes vibrate more than others, but at highway speeds, the mirrors were virtually useless except for seeing just blocky shapes.

Firefly
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Curious!

I have the KewlMetal extenders.

I have never had any meaningful or noticeable mirror vibration with or before I got the extenders -- at any speed up to 75 or so.

This vibration issue has had some commentary on the board -- I wonder just how prevalent an issue it is?

Mine not only vibrated---- they moved. The KM units don't have the proper 3 notches on the bottom that is supposed to hold them in place.

kytten
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Thank you all for the very good comments and recommendations on this thread and others on this subject. Probably my next purchase will be mirror extensions and I'd been looking at both these products. I appreciate the input.nojoke

bone crusher
05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Mine not only vibrated---- they moved. The KM units don't have the proper 3 notches on the bottom that is supposed to hold them in place.

Agreed....quite a difference and people shouldn't comment if they haven't tried both...

However, if someone is happy with their product, then no need to change.

I liked the KM product as it was, for a time, the only one available...but, as is the case with each generation of product, things get better and better...

ESI's mirror extensions are a better product, simply put...

BillGargan
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Mine don't!!??