PDA

View Full Version : Heading for the Hills!

RJB
04-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Trailering the Sypder up to N. Georgia next month for my first ride in anything but the flatlands of FL. Meeting up with my brother who has a Yamaha cruiser. As this is my first bike I don't have any background to compare with 2 wheelers, so I'm wondering how the how does the Sypder run the twisties compared with 2 wheel cruisers?

Prense01
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Should always take unfamiliar routes with caution...particularly when the ride's handling is unfamiliar as well with the given condition of the route. In many cases, the limiting factor is the rider, not the machine.

Most two wheelers should eat up a trike in the "twisties". Again, depends on the rider(s).

My .02

Chris :doorag:

dltang
04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
The spyder handles the twisties very well, far better than a conventional trike. It is not the same as a two wheeler though. You are trying to compare apples to oranges. They both get the job done and the skill of the rider has a lot to do with it regardless of what you are riding. So I would suggest, you enjoy the ride, and take the turns at a speed that you are comfortable with, do not try to keep up or out do the two wheelers, you may or may not be able to but ride safe and smart.

boborgera
04-13-2010, 09:40 AM
The spyder handles the twisties very well, far better than a conventional trike. It is not the same as a two wheeler though. You are trying to compare apples to oranges. They both get the job done and the skill of the rider has a lot to do with it regardless of what you are riding. So I would suggest, you enjoy the ride, and take the turns at a speed that you are comfortable with, do not try to keep up or out do the two wheelers, you may or may not be able to but ride safe and smart.

:agree::agree:Ride your own ride, Stay in your own comfort zone.
Beleave me you'll enjoy the ride more. :2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Practice, practice, practice.

There are some very big differences between the Spyder and 2 wheelers that I found very helpful in the mountains. First, the Spyder can really eat up the curves and grip the road so well that you may find yourself crawling up the tail pipe of the cruiser in front of you. This may cause you to have to hit the brakes in the center of the turn, where you never would on a 2 wheeler, and fortunately the brakes work very well and allow you to maintain control through the turns at the same time. If you attempt to get out of the corners a little too fast, the traction control may kick in and jay brake the engine some. There is nothing wrong with the Spyder at that point, just think of it as a friendly reminder to not get on the throttle so hard while still in the turn.

Overall the Spyder handles extremely well in the twisties, and you should have a whole lot of fun ryding it.

Have a great trip, and ryde hard but ryde safe as well. :thumbup:

YPILOT
04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
:agree:

Practice, practice, practice.

There are some very big differences between the Spyder and 2 wheelers that I found very helpful in the mountains. First, the Spyder can really eat up the curves and grip the road so well that you may find yourself crawling up the tail pipe of the cruiser in front of you. This may cause you to have to hit the brakes in the center of the turn, where you never would on a 2 wheeler, and fortunately the brakes work very well and allow you to maintain control through the turns at the same time. If you attempt to get out of the corners a little too fast, the traction control may kick in and jay brake the engine some. There is nothing wrong with the Spyder at that point, just think of it as a friendly reminder to not get on the throttle so hard while still in the turn.

Overall the Spyder handles extremely well in the twisties, and you should have a whole lot of fun ryding it.

Have a great trip, and ryde hard but ryde safe as well. :thumbup:

GeminiJane
04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
There are some great roads to discover there. Just remember not to just watch the rider in front of you but look through to the curves. Even a two wheeler shouldn't go in too "hot" but there is more room for error in that they don't take up even 1/4 of the lane. We're much wider on the Spyder - you don't want to be running over the center line on blind curves as you never know who might be doing the same thing coming from the other direction. On the other hand, you don't want to drop the outside wheel off the shoulder either, so you just have to be careful to stay more centered unlike the two wheelers who will probably pick a line through those curves.
You'll definitely get a work out - you'll be doing way more work than they will on powering the Spyder through! Have fun and be safe.