PDA

View Full Version : RT Panel Removal Guide

3Ryder
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if a written guide to the removal of RT panels has ever been published? I realize that in some cases, the extent and order of removal is obvious, but in others, it would appear less so. Neither the Owner's Manual or Midwest Shop Manual cover this seemingly basic issue. So...any suggestions?
:helpsmilie:

NorthStar
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
The Owner's Manual has a pretty good explanation as to how to remove the panels. I have removed the LH Top, Side and Lower panels numerous times while doing some accessory wiring.

I start from the front and remove the service panel in the front trunk (1 push pin then tilt and slide out), then take off the wind deflector (2 screws), followed by the mirror (lift up and out). From there I remove the one retaining screw at the front of the top panel, then the two retaining screws under the mirror and finally the retaining screw under the glove compartment and pull off the top panel. The next step is to remove the pop off panel (lower panel) and remove the one retaining screw on the lower left edge of the lower panel and the one retaining screw below the fuel tank and the push pin on the front left edge. I then open the LH side case and remove the three retaining screws located on the edges of the case. Finally, I remove the one retaining screw just forward of the passenger handrail and remove the middle panel. If I want to remove the battery cover I disconnect the heated grip plug and remove the retaining screw on the back edge of the battery service cover.

To summarize in order of removal: front trunk service panel, wind deflector, mirror, top panel, lower panel, middle panel, battery cover panel. Reverse for re-installing panel. The right side is the same procedure.

I am doing this from memory, so I hope I haven't forgotten any steps. The only watch out concerns the rubber grommets on the lower and middle panel. They can become disconnected very easily during disassembly and assembly.

Have fun.

M

westgl
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
That would be nice to have,

I took My trike in for it's 600 mile service, and when I got the Spyder home a panel was off and in the front trunk, I guess they forgot to put it back on, makes me think what else was forgotten:yikes: or left loose.
The panel was not that difficult, to put on, it was the coolant cover, but still !!!

Panel removal would be nice to have

Westgl

NancysToy
04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
:dontknow::hun: Both the Owner's Guide and the Shop Manual have detailed sections on panel removal. In addition, individual maintenance procedures always tell you which panels need to be removed in what sequence.

3Ryder
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Should have noticed the panel removal instructions associated with each maintenance procedure...:bowdown:

skypup
04-13-2010, 01:02 PM
The Owner's Manual has a pretty good explanation as to how to remove the panels. I have removed the LH Top, Side and Lower panels numerous times while doing some accessory wiring.

I start from the front and remove the service panel in the front trunk (1 push pin then tilt and slide out), then take off the wind deflector (2 screws), followed by the mirror (lift up and out). From there I remove the one retaining screw at the front of the top panel, then the two retaining screws under the mirror and finally the retaining screw under the glove compartment and pull off the top panel. The next step is to remove the pop off panel (lower panel) and remove the one retaining screw on the lower left edge of the lower panel and the one retaining screw below the fuel tank and the push pin on the front left edge. I then open the LH side case and remove the three retaining screws located on the edges of the case. Finally, I remove the one retaining screw just forward of the passenger handrail and remove the middle panel. If I want to remove the battery cover I disconnect the heated grip plug and remove the retaining screw on the back edge of the battery service cover.

To summarize in order of removal: front trunk service panel, wind deflector, mirror, top panel, lower panel, middle panel, battery cover panel. Reverse for re-installing panel. The right side is the same procedure.

I am doing this from memory, so I hope I haven't forgotten any steps. The only watch out concerns the rubber grommets on the lower and middle panel. They can become disconnected very easily during disassembly and assembly.

Have fun.

M

Can you tell me what lift up and out mean for mirror removal? I don't want to break anything. Are you lifting the outer bottom edge of the mirror upwards?

GaryTheBadger
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
SKYPUP - I just learned how to remove the RT mirrors last night.
No tools needed. They're attached at three points. Pull the bottom of the mirror out to release the bottom two friction pins, then lift up to release the top pin which is hung like a picture frame on a wall. Lamont posted photos in the RT Shop forum. There will be a plug to disconnect the wires for the turn signal light.

skypup
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
SKYPUP - I just learned how to remove the RT mirrors last night.
No tools needed. They're attached at three points. Pull the bottom of the mirror out to release the bottom two friction pins, then lift up to release the top pin which is hung like a picture frame on a wall. Lamont posted photos in the RT Shop forum. There will be a plug to disconnect the wires for the turn signal light.

Thanks. I was able to get it off and back on. Good to know.

jcusick
10-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Should have noticed the panel removal instructions associated with each maintenance procedure...

So, I have the maintenance and owner manuals and I'm attempting to remove the top side panels from the bike to install the radio and have the proper bit for all the screws except the last two. I seem to have a problem with the two lower outside chrome retaining screws on the 2010 RT. The center hole of each screw has a little nub that prevents the bit from entering the whole to unscrew it. Is this normal? Does it take a special bit (or different bit than all the other screws on the RT? :(

Or do I have to use a dremel to grind down these little nubs, something I really do not want to do since these are the screws that show.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JC

kyspyder
10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Those are not designed to be removed!! They are the mounts for plastic pins that insert into grommets. If you have all the other screws and pins removed you would just pull panel outward to release pins from grommets.
I repeat DO NOT REMOVE THE CHROME SECURITY SCREWS!!!
KYSPYDER

jcusick
10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Those are not designed to be removed!! They are the mounts for plastic pins that insert into grommets. If you have all the other screws and pins removed you would just pull panel outward to release pins from grommets.
I repeat DO NOT REMOVE THE CHROME SECURITY SCREWS!!!
KYSPYDER

Well, thanks for that... and just in time. So then, my question is, where the heck are the lower retaining screws located? The owner and service as well as the instructions that came with the radio all say remove the lower retaining screws, but I can't find them.

I've removed the upper two behind the mirror, front and rear screws, and the diagram/instructions are good, but there doesn't seem to be any location info for the "lower retaining screws" and my old eyes don't see anything but the obvious two lower chrome screws that can't be removed. All three instructions say "Remove lower retaining screws of top side panel." after the instructions to remove the first four. The diagram for those two does not seem to exist.

Thanks!!!

JC

jcusick
10-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Nuttun' like answering my own post

So then, my question is, where the heck are the lower retaining screws located? The owner and service as well as the instructions that came with the radio all say remove the lower retaining screws, but I can't find them.
I've removed the upper two behind the mirror, front and rear screws, and the diagram/instructions are good, but there doesn't seem to be any location info for the "lower retaining screws" and my old eyes don't see anything but the obvious two lower chrome screws that can't be removed. All three instructions say "Remove lower retaining screws of top side panel."

Apparently they don't exist. Old instructions for RS maybe? Anyway, I was really nervous about yanking on plastic that felt well connected by more than grommets. I worked it around and out it popped.

Thanks again.

JC

MouthPiece
10-06-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?29642-RT-panels-off-and-on-video