PDA

View Full Version : Questions: How easy is it to Access/Customize , And questions about motor mods.

Ottomatic
04-12-2010, 02:40 AM
I was in a near death crash last may on my 1987 magna 750 (truck pulled out in front of me at an intersection).
I almost feel up to the task of riding a 2wheeler again, but these spyders have caught my interest DEPENDING on what i can do to them.

When i see the Spyder RS i just want to tear into it and start doing all the stuff i used to do to my cars or bike, (sound/communication/nav systems, cosmetic lighting, fiberglass, paint, etc) i think in that area of mods should be reasonably forgiving to work on(correct me if i am wrong) but do to the nature of the spyder i am not sure if i would be happy with just that. i admit i have to test one before i make that call but judging from the reviews from many sources i am under the impression that the way it corners is not what i wanting from a bike, which would be ok IF the power is there which in most reviews is not spectacular. i am sure they are peppy for what they are, but i dont know if i would be happy with it.

What i do know is I would love to make this thing as quick as it looks. and i have read the basic's of what has and can be done, where my question start is: How Simple is it to work on, and how easy it is to get to the core of it.

I have worked on my now dead magna for quite a while, its not too bad to work on but it was a tight fit, but still if needed i could do just about anything maintenance wise to the motor/carbs/etc i have been trying to find pictures of people working on the motor and there isn't much and it looks quite complicated in comparison. So i am not sure if i am biting off too much when i say i want to do a bunch of higher grade motor mods.

I have considered that the Aprilia rvs1000r uses the same motor, and there are some mods that are compatible?
A big bore kit seems like the best value upgrade how ever i am not confident with my skills when it comes to making the electronic systems match. I am trying to find what is involved with such an upgrade and how much they cost(2k ish i think?).

The Aerocharger turbo kit "looks" simple enough for some one like me to install, however i am worried about the electronics/fuel delivery systems that may need to also be modded. and of course the cost of such a kit may not be in the budget for me.

The other option i considered was the RVS1000R motor(identical to the spyder) with 143hp and 74.5 ft.lbs of torque, If the access to the motor is simple enough the RVS motor can be had for 1.2k-2k and if its just a matter of switch the two it may be a good way of going. but the torque is really effected by this option, and guessing from the nature of the bikes size/weight it seems that torque be more important in the long run compared to top speed.

I have also read any of the major motor upgrades may be too much for the clutch to handle? If so is there a way to address this... with out braking the bank?

Feel free to dumb it down a bit when it comes to motor talk, im a diy electronics/cosmetics guy foremost my automotive ability are not bad, but my experience with motors are limited to fixing/cleaning appose to actually changing the mechanics as to how it runs. (rebuilding the v45 carb bank is about my limit to what i have done, and some smaller motor work with Briggs & Stratton motors) Compression ratios/valve timings/fuel mixtures/etc are not what i am used to but am willing to try.

What i would like to end up with is something that will keep up with an average sport bike (600cc/750cc) or at least close to it, my 87 magna was quick enough to surprise many sport bikes (considering the style of it) and i have tried my friends modern sports bikes, i was never planing on trading my magna in at the time, but at the time was always considering picking up a cheap used Hayabusa for a 2nd ride.

Thank you for your time, i will be testing a spyder in the next week or 2, pending on how i enjoy the ride-ability of the Spyder and if the Comments are in favor of some one like me working on it, i hopefully will be the next owner. one other question, which would be better to work on/proformance the SM or SE?

Ps. If any one knows of a Spyder needing TLC i may be interested in a project.

fastfraser
04-12-2010, 04:52 AM
welcome Test the RS i think you will find it peppy enough. All kinds of mods to get a little more out of the :spyder2: Juice box, Air filters, mufflers and a turbo charger if so inclined . Test the bike first than decide if the :spyder2: is for you !

NancysToy
04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
From the sounds of things, you would not be happy with a Spyder. Engine mods are possible, but not easy or cheap, the fuel delivery is difficult to modify to fit the increased thirst, and the ignition timing cannot be modified at all. No disrespect intended, but if you want to go play with the crotch rockets, buy that Busa.

Ottomatic
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
From the sounds of things, you would not be happy with a Spyder. Engine mods are possible, but not easy or cheap, the fuel delivery is difficult to modify to fit the increased thirst, and the ignition timing cannot be modified at all. No disrespect intended, but if you want to go play with the crotch rockets, buy that Busa.

Thank you, i was worried about that, and no, i don't think my body would be comfortable on a crotch rocket any more, the nature of my accidental was majorly pelvis/tail bone damage, making me having to be quite picky on what i sit down on any more, and lets face it sport bikes were not really meant for long term sit time, which (before the accident) is why i didn't want to own just a sport bike, but the option of two bikes depending on what i wanted to do seemed possible at the time, that is no longer the case.

Correct me if i am wrong, the turbo system seems like the simplest major upgrade one can do? and the fuel delivery system is easly modified with the kit? and if thats so is there any hidden draw backs i am missing?

I am mostly comfortable/capable with taking apart and putting back together just about any thing, its the technical aspect of adjustments and tuning i can only manage the basics.
the smaller upgrades "Juice box, Air filters, mufflers" what kind of performance increase can be noticed from them?

Thank you for your input never the less, quite helpful.

I JUST REALIZED i posted this thread in the wrong section, this is the RT section i should be in the RS section, can some one please move this?

NancysToy
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Thank you, i was worried about that, and no, i don't think my body would be comfortable on a crotch rocket any more, the nature of my accidental was majorly pelvis/tail bone damage, making me having to be quite picky on what i sit down on any more, and lets face it sport bikes were not really meant for long term sit time, which (before the accident) is why i didn't want to own just a sport bike, but the option of two bikes depending on what i wanted to do seemed possible at the time, that is no longer the case.

Correct me if i am wrong, the turbo system seems like the simplest major upgrade one can do? and the fuel delivery system is easly modified with the kit? and if thats so is there any hidden draw backs i am missing?

I am mostly comfortable/capable with taking apart and putting back together just about any thing, its the technical aspect of adjustments and tuning i can only manage the basics.
the smaller upgrades "Juice box, Air filters, mufflers" what kind of performance increase can be noticed from them?

Thank you for your input never the less, quite helpful.

I JUST REALIZED i posted this thread in the wrong section, this is the RT section i should be in the RS section, can some one please move this?
The Spyder seating position is somewhat kinder than a crotch rocket, but not as nice as a sport tourer. You may still have some issues with your hips/pelvis. There are aftermarket accessories that would help. Best to try one (preferably several times) before you buy. Maybe you can even find a modded one that someone would let you sit on if you asked.

From the looks of the information released so far, the turbo kit probably will provide the most bang for the least work...or at least the best instructions and least specialized tools. No reviews yet...as far as I know, no production units are on the road yet. Lots of expense between a Spyder and the turbo kit, plus any ergonomics mods you may need. I just want you to be sure, rather than sorry. No slam intended.

Roadkill
04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
(posted awaiting relocation, of course 8^D)

+It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

Put a slug aboard a beast and he'll slug it through.

Put a beast aboard a slug and he'll beast it through.

The twain may not meet, but they both get there.

Mine's not an RT, and I get it there. (What can I say? I'm a beast.)

Is it a slug? No way.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Ottomatic
04-13-2010, 02:16 AM
Still need this thread moved to "Spyder Shoptalk"

But after considering somethings and looking at a few other threads i realized, the basic upgrades(muffler, Juice-box, Air filter) can run a guy between $800-$1500 and sometimes more depending mostly how far u want to go with fancy mufflers. The Aerocharger turbo kit is about $5k and already includes a form of the three basic upgrades, the turbo alone is about $2k. After all is said and done the Turbo option dose not seem quite as expensive as it used to, and compared to the other power options quite a bit easier to do(&diy=+$4U)

If the spider is quick enough for me when stock i still do not know. What i do know is i need a spider that has been say "broken in more" so i can mod it more carefree, its harder to find a newer ride that needs some tlc, but i always find it hard to justify painting over paint that's still good or cutting into and fiberglassing on body panels that are almost new, it feels some what wasteful(why fix it if its not broken?)

Thanks again for the input, it has been quite helpful over all.