PDA

View Full Version : Steep Downhill Grade

SC_DOC
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I have a house in the NC moutains with an unbelievable driveway that extends about 1/3 mile. Going up was no problem, but coming down was a different story. When I went down in 1st gear, the engine switched to an unbelievable loud sound that I had never head before, even when I geared down going at a speed higher than what I would consider normal for 1st gear. I presume this is normal, but will now ride down with my foot on the brake the whole time.

:D

BillGargan
04-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I live on a serious hill in NH. Upshift to 2nd and use your brakes. You will be fine. I have well over 5000 miles and every trip starts with a .75 mile downhill run.

I have a house in the NC moutains with an unbelievable driveway that extends about 1/3 mile. Going up was no problem, but coming down was a different story. When I went down in 1st gear, the engine switched to an unbelievable loud sound that I had never head before, even when I geared down going at a speed higher than what I would consider normal for 1st gear. I presume this is normal, but will now ride down with my foot on the brake the whole time.

:D

SC_DOC
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the advice.