PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Absorber

SC92
04-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Hello All,
Anyone had any rear shock problems?
Mine lost all damping on the first day. I rang the Dealer and they replaced it with a new one next day.
Now 4500 Kilometres later it failed again. Dealer replaced it again no question asked but I am now wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem, and if BRP is going to approach their supplier for a fix.
Regards
Bob

retired1
04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
SC92;
Didthe dealer tell you what part failed on the shock? :dontknow:

Lamonster
04-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I know Fred Rau had a control valve go bad but not a shock. Are you sure it's the shock?

I'm just shy of 7,000 miles into this trip with no issues.

Vordak
04-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Most likely the valve. Shocks really don't have very many parts to fail. Again, dealer error.

V.

Dwight
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a control valve and what is it's function? The way my RT-S rear shock bounce's leads me to believe it has no dampening at all. I'm considering ordering an Elka shock for it.

Dwight

SC92
04-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a control valve and what is it's function? The way my RT-S rear shock bounce's leads me to believe it has no dampening at all. I'm considering ordering an Elka shock for it.

Dwight

The Shock is a sealed unit with no external valves or adjustment.
I have had two fail, 1st on day one and the 2nd at 4,500 K's.
The Shocks both times lost all compression and rebound damping and the back end just bounces up and down.
When you push down hard on the passenger foot rest whilst parked the bike bounces back up so fast it "tops" out on the shock with a loud clunk sound.
It is not possible to see what is wrong with it unless you cut it open and investigate by destruction.
My dealer has no problem with replacing the standard shock with a new one, but going on past performance, who knows how long it will last.
The shock brand was on the side of it but I cannot remember the name. All I can remember is it was made in Mexico and my dealer has replaced them on two other bikes.
Buying an Elka shock would certainly fix the problem but I believe BRP should come up with a solution for the original. When they are working properly the back suspension is excellent.
Cheers

Dwight
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
SC92
Did you ever notice a oil spot on the floor? I had one, couldn't find where it came from. Finally decided maybe the radiator overflow had burped some anti-freeze out. Hadn't thought any more about it until I read your post. I just went out and jumped up and down on the passenger board with the same results you have. Wondering if that spot was what was left of the oil in the rear shock. I think I'll call my dealer tomorrow and see if has any thoughts on this.

Thanks
Dwight

SC92
04-13-2010, 03:03 AM
SC92
Did you ever notice a oil spot on the floor? I had one, couldn't find where it came from. Finally decided maybe the radiator overflow had burped some anti-freeze out. Hadn't thought any more about it until I read your post. I just went out and jumped up and down on the passenger board with the same results you have. Wondering if that spot was what was left of the oil in the rear shock. I think I'll call my dealer tomorrow and see if has any thoughts on this.

Thanks
Dwight

No oil leaked out of the shock. My guess is that the valves in the piston inside have broken.
I was talking to a friend to-day and it looks like his has the same problem. He is taking it in to his dealer this week.

mattmel
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Dwight
elka does not make a rear shock for the rts at this time,i just talked to them and they only make the front around $800.00 ea

docdoru
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.trackdaymag.com/Articles/Track-Tested--Elka-Shock-Absorber.aspx :doorag:

Dwight
04-13-2010, 07:38 AM
How about this!
Elka High Performance Rear Shocks for Your Can-Am Spyder 2-Way Item ELK-1005
$845.00
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/images/pixel_trans.gifhttp://www.kewlmetalstore.com/images/Image-Coming-Soon.jpg Elka High Performance Rear Shocks for Your Can-Am Spyder.
Shock Geometry - 2-way.
Body Diameter - 46mm.
Sold as a unit.
Dual Rate Spring.
Configuration - Remote.
Adjustments - Ride Height, Preload, Compression and Rebound.

Please specify rider + luggage weight for your typical riding configuration
when ordering.

It doesn't specifically say for the RTS but I can't imagine too much difference. Spring rates would be different but that's something they can easily change.