PDA

View Full Version : Kurayakyn Grips for RT

SilverSurfer
04-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I hope that Fred Rau or Lamonster see this. Maybe they could parlay their Ambassador-ships with Kurayakyn. So their ISO grips do fit the RS, but would someone please tell Kurayakyn to build a set of grips that can either overlay or replace the heated grips on the RT? I don't know why, but Can Am is yet another bike that just comes from the manufacturer with these anemically thin grips. I did get a crampbuster for temporary use, but I've had Kurayakyns on my other bike and they make such a difference.

ThreeWheels
04-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Interesting comment because I was thinking quite the opposite today.

This is the first motorcycle I've owned in 20 years where I felt the stock grips were fairly comfortable, and I didn't need to get grip puppies, or some such.

Of course, that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

MarkLawson
04-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I have a pair of Kurayakyn ISO Grips (#6183) on my Goldwing which has the OEM heated grips, which I added. These particular grip are a clam-shell style that break in half and clamp over the existing grips. They do make the grips much less effective in heat transfer, but I think the Spyder RT's grips get too hot anyway, even on low & while I wear thich gloves. I do not know if they would fit, but they might. I'll have to look into it...

Look here for installation instructions to get an idea of what they look like:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/6183-23GL-0308.pdf

By the way, I believe they are actually bigger (thicker) than the standard ISO Grip.

SilverSurfer
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
One is almost tempted to go buy a set of th 6183's to see if they work. It might interest all to know that about six weeks ago, I e-mailed Kuryakyn and simply asked about the 6183's and my RT. The response was basically "dunno," as if Kuryakyn couldn't just grab a set of the grips, go down to a Can Am Spyder shop and take a look at the dimensions. So unless I'm willing to spend ninety bucks, the mystery persists. Kuryakyn has been very responsive to the RS line. I just wish they'd energize for the RT. So Mark, thanks for your response, and if there's truly any way you can look into it without dumping the bucks, would really enjoy learning from you.

Paul

tea6638
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I have the ISO Grips on my RTS. You will not have heat on the Throttle Grip but, will retain heat on the left side. The Throttle grip, because of the Fly by Wire, is configured differently, thus losing the heat for that side. Hope this helps:2thumbs:

MarkLawson
04-16-2010, 07:45 AM
One is almost tempted to go buy a set of th 6183's to see if they work. It might interest all to know that about six weeks ago, I e-mailed Kuryakyn and simply asked about the 6183's and my RT. The response was basically "dunno," as if Kuryakyn couldn't just grab a set of the grips, go down to a Can Am Spyder shop and take a look at the dimensions. So unless I'm willing to spend ninety bucks, the mystery persists. Kuryakyn has been very responsive to the RS line. I just wish they'd energize for the RT. So Mark, thanks for your response, and if there's truly any way you can look into it without dumping the bucks, would really enjoy learning from you.

Paul

I just did a quick measurement of the RT Grips and ISO Grips & don't think they'll work. The ISO grip is more than an inch longer & the grip end exterior diameter of both is the same.

SilverSurfer
04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Well ... I guess the search continues. I can't even find a set of Grip Puppies. Did they go out of business? I do have a question for TEA6638: What P/N are your ISO grips, my friend? The specific model I'm interested in is P/N: 6183. With the "clamshell" design of the 6183, one shouldn't be killing the heated grip on either side because the grip just 'clamshells' over the original. Under this condition, one should only lose a bit of the heat intensity (the stock grips on high cook your hands anyway).

Keep in mind ... if I'm not mistaken ... the ISO standard mainly applies to width (7/8th"), vs. length of the grip. Many, many bikes are manufactured with 7/8th" grips of varying length.

So I guess my next step is to measure the length and geometry of my stock Spyder RT-S grip, and then compare it with the Goldwing 1800. The 6183 is a clamshell grip designed to overlay Goldwing 1800 heated grips. Question remaining: Will they work on a Spyder RT-S?

Best regards, Let's keep conspiring :chat: !

spyderjr
08-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Any new inputs from Kuryakyn on this subject? Will the 6183 clam shell grips fit the Spyder RT Limited?

Y Rider
08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
View this thread. Lamonster has a procedure for installing the clamshell grips.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?25394-Kuryakyn-Grips-on-the-RT-(with-heat)&highlight=clamshell

NorthStar
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
If you don't mind shaving the ends off of you existing grips the kuryakan clam shell grips for the Goldwing will work. Lamont's instructions for installation are right on. The installation requires a significant amount of pressure to lock the shells together, but be patient and they will snap together. Just keep reminding yourself that others have done it so I can too!:clap:

AndyIsRiding
08-17-2011, 04:58 PM
6183 fits, I installed them on our RT
heating is a bit slower but works
trim end of existing grips.
Remove end weights, re-install screw in right side, do not move gas grip with screw removed or spring may spring out.
Use windex and a LOT :( of patience, right side is more difficult then left side so do left first to practice.

I added the Kewl metal helmet locks to the end.30687

SilverSurfer
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
All Kuryakyn needs to do is design a set of clamshells for the RT/RT-S, engineered to the dimensions of its stock grips. I was actually surprised to see someone pick up on this thread I started back in April of last year. I accept that the 6183 clamshells can be adapted to an RT ... however ...

Personally, I do not want to cut off the end flanges of my current grips; I also don't want to use my Dremmel to grind down my shifter button to allow clearance between the shift button and the grip (yes, you have to do that!). Also, the 6183 clamshells are longer than the actual RT grip, which means that the outer-most three or four grab-on rubber pads on the 6183 will compress into the grip because there's no underlying surface to support it. The way around this is to cut down and insert a piece of 7/8-inch PVC into the end of the grip during install. It's a science project!
:gaah:

Lamont's installation looks great, and I'd pay someone like him to do it on mine. However, Lamont does say that adding the clamshells does make the grips quite fat, which may not be welcome by some ryders with smaller hands.

Bottom line is that it just isn't worth the headache to me at this time. I've got other things to do with the bike that are more worthwhile (like adding an Elka rear shock). Maybe someday Kuryakyn will wake up and hear it's customer.

Paul