PDA

View Full Version : Painting a vehicle question...

krb1945
04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm getting ready to re-spray my black spyder blue. I am looking for a replacement spray gun. My old gun is the siphon style and I want to get a gravity spray HVLP unit. The one's I've looked at on the net are from very low prices to extremely high prices. I don't do this type of job very often but I would like to get a unit that will do a good job at a reasonable price.

Now you see where I need the help. I need recommendations for a decent unit. Thanks for the help, Ken

fastfraser
04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Can't help you but i am very interested in your project ! :popcorn::popcorn:

NancysToy
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I have no experience with HVLP, either, but I will have to jump off the bridge sometime soon. I have always preferred the Devilbiss guns, so I expect I will go that route. Their "Starting Line" series looks pretty good, with multiple gun kits that will do various combinations of primer, finish, or touchup.

dabreitbach
04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I prefer devilbiss too. If you are going to do anymore than 1-5 paint jobs in the guns life go with the finishline guns by devilbiss. Much better gun for not much more money.

Lucky
04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
I bought the Devilbiss Starting Line 3 gun set from Eastwood via Ebay. I recommend hitting a sale at Harbor Freight and buying the disposable cups. They fit fine and make life much easier. I am doing a project Harley and I too come from the old siphon gun era. The new HVLP guns are VERY different than siphon. You can atomize the newer paints so they hit the material dry if you want. Where you really had to watch the siphon guns so you wouldn't get a drool, the HVLP you almost have the opposite problem, not getting the paint "wet" enough. I have only practiced with the primers so far, but am looking forward to shooting the color coat in the upcoming months. The guns are affordable for the 3 gun set and seem to be of pretty fair quality. Just my opinion.

Bob

NancysToy
04-09-2010, 08:30 PM
I prefer devilbiss too. If you are going to do anymore than 1-5 paint jobs in the guns life go with the finishline guns by devilbiss. Much better gun for not much more money.
Thanks for the tip. I'll consider this series, too, when I finally make the plunge.

krb1945
04-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Devilbliss finish line 3 spray gun or right now that is what I am leaning toward.

Here is a link with some decent information and prices...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/devmstrkit.aspx

Would appreciate ideas, thoughts or suggestions on this particular setup before I order one. Or do you think it would be a good idea to go a step higher. /Ken

krb1945
04-10-2010, 08:16 PM
DeVilbliss DEV FLG654 with 3 spray tips 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8. After checking many sites found it at TCPGlobal in San Diego for 169. plus shipping.

We'll see how good it is in a few days when it arrives. I'm going to prep the hood which is the final piece to get ready. Then we'll get started with the spraying.

One good thing about painting if you don't like the color or the way it looks you can sand it off and do it all over again. /Ken