PDA

View Full Version : My coolest mod

Easy-Spyder
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi Spyder Lovers, I am new on your forum ,I would like to introduce myself
with a presentation of my coolest mod. It is a mod I'm about to complete ,still a few adjustments to do, and it will be full fonctionnal.

It is a remote control trunk opener combined with a selenoid unlatch device. The video quality is poor ,new post comming soon. what do you think of that??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNn8N_0mmY

YPILOT
04-07-2010, 07:20 PM
welcome Sweet mod.
That is a great first impression.:congrats:

ArmyJoe
04-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Very cool, but I'd just settle for the remote latch opener without the motor / hydraulics.

docdoru
04-07-2010, 07:49 PM
welcome nice mod :thumbup:

dltang
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Very cool. Now you have to post details, install photos and costs.

dltang
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I almost forgot, welcome. :2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
welcome

That is a great mod!

I have a few questions, I hope you are able and willing to answer. :D

1) What type of lifting arm and motor does it use, and how much space does it take up in the frunk?

2) Does this work without the key in the Spyder, in other words with the Spyder off?

3) How difficult was the installation?

burg650
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Way cool, I want one.

Firefly
04-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Cool stuff. I've been working on something similar, but the linear actuator I tried didn't quite have enough 'uumph' .

I would be very curious to know what setup you used.

More pics.... more pics.....:2thumbs:

Nice job... with a little tweaking you'll have it. :thumbup:

SPYDERGUY1
04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I have to admit that is very impressive. I myself am working on something similar but no remote ( keychain ) it is just a push button that will stay on for about 10 seconds after the key is turned off, would like to bypass the time delay but still in the works. Something similar to the stereo system, the homework takes forever but the install is minimal. Already have the actuatuator, 12vdc and equipment, came as a kit for 5 bucks ( actually from a power door lock ), will keep you posted and pics when it happens.:2thumbs:

Easy-Spyder
04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for welcoming guys,

Spyderwolf,I can tell you that it takes no space in the frunk.
The lifting mechanism and motor are located between the frunk and the fwd fairing.I have installed the control module behind the cluster.
It is powered directly from the battery...does not requires the spyder to be On.
I am modifying the removable part of the frunk lid so that part can be removed (lid being in closed position)to desactivate the lift system and still use the key in case of any power failure or for any reason I want it to be off.
The difficult part of that project was to design a system that works
in a limited space without altering the estetic ,neither break the surronding plastic structure,searching for a motor and electronics,. I had this project in mind since last fall, worked on it during winter ,fabricated all linkage parts (witch also involved the help of a welder and a machinist) it came out almost better than I expected.
Having all elements in hand,the final installation took me about 12 hours including electronic ,fine tuning.
I know that specs and photos would be interesting ,it will come when everyting is completed...I might put a request for a patent...sorry for teasing you.

SpyderWolf
04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for welcoming guys,

Spyderwolf,I can tell you that it takes no space in the frunk.
The lifting mechanism and motor are located between the frunk and the fwd fairing.I have installed the control module behind the cluster.
It is powered directly from the battery...does not requires the spyder to be On.
I am modifying the removable part of the frunk lid so that part can be removed (lid being in closed position)to desactivate the lift system and still use the key in case of any power failure or for any reason I want it to be off.
The difficult part of that project was to design a system that works
in a limited space without altering the estetic ,neither break the surronding plastic structure,searching for a motor and electronics,. I had this project in mind since last fall, worked on it during winter ,fabricated all linkage parts (witch also involved the help of a welder and a machinist) it came out almost better than I expected.
Having all elements in hand,the final installation took me about 12 hours including electronic ,fine tuning.
I know that specs and photos would be interesting ,it will come when everyting is completed...I might put a request for a patent...sorry for teasing you.

No tease at all, as the patent request would be completely understandable. If it works out for you and you go into production on these, I am sure a lot of Spyder owners would be interested in it as well.

Best of luck to you with your endeavor.

Easy-Spyder
04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Cool stuff. I've been working on something similar, but the linear actuator I tried didn't quite have enough 'uumph' .

I would be very curious to know what setup you used.

More pics.... more pics.....:2thumbs:

Nice job... with a little tweaking you'll have it. :thumbup:

Firefly, you probably notifyed that when you unlatch with the key and open by hand, it takes about three pounds to pull it open, but to operate from the bottom of the lid ,close to the hinge you need more than 50 pounds...an actuator that can push it could also tear the hinge off....
I'll come back tomorow...time to sleep...goodnight

Firefly
04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Firefly, you probably notifyed that when you unlatch with the key and open by hand, it takes about three pounds to pull it open, but to operate from the bottom of the lid ,close to the hinge you need more than 50 pounds...an actuator that can push it could also tear the hinge off....
I'll come back tomorow...time to sleep...goodnight

Yup---- the Linear actuator I was using could open it fine as low as about 1/2 way down--- but I'm like you and really wanted the system concealed......and not to take up trunk space. I figured with the right linkage I could get the point of attachment lower.... but still not hidden. Looks like you worked from the hinge.

Part of my thing was that I was going thru drive up windows a lot (Mcdonald's, Wendy's, etc.) and would just pop the trunk open and drop my meal in the trunk and take off for home.....(yeah-- the epitome of lazy).

But now I don't eat out much at all any more... especially that crap food!:thumbup:

Glad you found our little slice of Spyder Heaven!

Well done sir! :thumbup:

1VENOM
04-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Easy-Spyder that is way cool.:2thumbs: Job well done sir. When you get your patent, you will sell a lot.:firstplace: Place me on the list.:pray:

SpyderWolf
04-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Part of my thing was that I was going thru drive up windows a lot (Mcdonald's, Wendy's, etc.) and would just pop the trunk open and drop my meal in the trunk and take off for home.....(yeah-- the epitome of lazy).

The other day I was actually wondering if anybody had ever done this before.

SpyderGirl
04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
:congrats: That is just totally freaking awesome!! Good work!! :2thumbs:

Oh, and welcome

I wish I was this handy.... :helpsmilie:

Roger
04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Welcome easy that is cool. Nice Job some thing tells me you can expect some orders for this mod or sell the rights to somebody who knows how to manufacture the product and sell it. Evan are you watching this. :2thumbs:

dltang
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM
The other day I was actually wondering if anybody had ever done this before.

I have gone through the drive in window at McDonalds and Dairy Queen a lot, I do just pop open trunk and put it in. I do have to get off spyder usually but it is quick, I turn off engine but not the key. Everyone always gets a kick out of it. Only one time did the spyder not get noticed and I had to pull all the way to the window.

SpyderGirl
04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I have gone through the drive in window at McDonalds and Dairy Queen a lot, I do just pop open trunk and put it in. I do have to get off spyder usually but it is quick, I turn off engine but not the key. Everyone always gets a kick out of it. Only one time did the spyder not get noticed and I had to pull all the way to the window.

MMmmmm... Dairy Queen...

I have done the drive-thru thing, but I use my tank bag or my saddlebags, don't have to get off. :2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM

MMmmmm... Dairy Queen...

I have done the drive-thru thing, but I use my tank bag or my saddlebags, don't have to get off. :2thumbs:

I may have to try that sometime; however, I usually don't give anything from Dairy Queen enough time to even consider melting before I am happily digging into it. :D

VaughnCat
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Neat idea . . . . with a couple of mods, you could use it as a deterrent to people wanting to touch your scooter . . . . . . . like a Jack in the Box . . . . maybe a sound track with some one shouting 'let me out' or a hand that you can . . . . . well, hand your fast food order to. . . :yikes:
Way cool stuff, looks like you have some skills. . . . keep us posted!

Easy-Spyder
04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Neat idea . . . . with a couple of mods, you could use it as a deterrent to people wanting to touch your scooter . . . . . . . like a Jack in the Box . . . . maybe a sound track with some one shouting 'let me out' or a hand that you can . . . . . well, hand your fast food order to. . . :yikes:
Way cool stuff, looks like you have some skills. . . . keep us posted!

:roflblack: I'll think about that "Jack in the Box" thing....
I built my skills over 30 years as an aircraft mechanic ,now retired with plenty of time to play and ride my toy.

thanks again for your comments:cheers: