PDA

View Full Version : SEMI-AUTO KILLER

venom
04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
a bunch of members of our québec club(club-spyder.com) almost killed themselves becose of foulty transmission problems. We are collecting info and letters from spyder owners. Its not normal that a company sales a foulty product and still is without advising the new owners of possible module problems and lets spyder owners go ahaid and put their lives in danger. Sow before someone kill's themself we are taking action.
p.s. excuse my english

fastfraser
04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Please let us know the out come !!

krb1945
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
problems on the SE5. Please post the nature of the problem so those of us with SE5s know what to watch out for... what are the doing? /Ken

Firefly
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ARtraveler
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Please post what the problems are. Its interesting that a group of spyders from the same club have the same problem. If this was across the board on all Spyders, I believe we would have a lot more posts on the website.

RoadHammer
04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
i have an open attitude about this. can't wait to here what the problem is

boborgera
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
:hun: :hun:?

venom
04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
the transmission jam's can't change speed's hi revolution,
One girl in our club found herself in the middle of a cross road could,nt stop at the red light, lukaly her husband was following her in the car with the kids , he jamed the horn to stop the other cars.

A other guy was stuck on the highway(decary boulevard)were there is no safe lane, could,nt change speed's traffic were passing beside him at fast speed,s, scare the hell out of him...

The major problem is not beeing able to shift the module jam's at a serten speed. You stop the vehicule, try to get it in neutral or first then you try to ryde back home in first gear...or at least get out of the way

SpyderGirl
04-07-2010, 04:22 PM
WOW, that's scary!!!!! nojoke

This is the first I have heard of the SE5 models having problems... :popcorn:

venom
04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
an other guy was tuck on a freeway, after stopping in traffic, the transmission jammed in neutral, stuck in the middle lane,almost got hit buy a truck.

many other examples of jamming in first gear at stop's not being able to shift.
There is a cousin forum of ours in france and they say they have simular problems....what about you guy,s. i don,t understand how come you don,t have the same problem's espacialy with all the members you have on your forum????

SpyderGirl
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
That's a very good question. :chat:

I don't have a SE5 model, so I can't really comment.

Could this have something to do with that ground wire recall on the SE5?

krb1945
04-07-2010, 06:08 PM
a 2009 year and as of this date no problems with the shifting.

Hi revolutions... I'm wondering if the throttle is not releasing and keeping it from shifting. Quite puzzling though... because She and I shift her's all the time with the engine revved up high. Maybe a gear sensor is going bad or out of calibration.

Please let us know what the dealer finds on these units. /Ken

SpyderWolf
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
This sounds like they are experiencing the issues that BRP has issued a bulletin about for the 2010 RT SE5 models. Lamont has posted on here about some of them having centrifugal clutch problems, and the resolution that BRP has for the issues.

If these are not RT models that are experiencing these issues, please let us know. I currently have over 8,000 miles on my 09 SE5 without any shifting problems like you are reporting.

docdoru
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
RS or RT? I was reading the german forum, no issues...:dontknow:

pauly1
04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
16K miles and no shifting issues on an '08 SE.

Wayne

Roaddog2
04-08-2010, 06:59 AM
:popcorn::cus::gaah::yikes:

Bersquack
04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
It sounds like GPS issue to me.

Almost 8K miles on my 09 SE5 and no shifting problems.

aubierules
04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
16K miles and no shifting issues on an '08 SE.

Wayne
3000 miles...08 se5 has been in the shop 3 times for shifting issues

venom
04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
here is what i got as info
it seems that the centrifuge spring in the clutch is not strong enought and the clutch stay's open...alsow the transmission oil pressure piston has the same problem....many owners are complaning that at a stop if you let go the brake the vehicule will ryde at 15km/hrs and it's difficult to lower to neutral

Firefly
04-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Sounds like the 'creeping' that some were having with their SE5's awhile ago. I believe 'blipping' the throttle helped.

musicarcade
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Please keep this problem on the Canadian side of the border:joke:

In the meantime:pray:
:popcorn:

fastfraser
04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
the transmission jam's can't change speed's hi revolution,
One girl in our club found herself in the middle of a cross road could,nt stop at the red light, likely her husband was following her in the car with the kids , he jammed the horn to stop the other cars.

A other guy was stuck on the highway(decary boulevard)were there is no safe lane, could,nt change speed's traffic were passing beside him at fast speed,s, scare the hell out of him...

The major problem is not being able to shift the module jam's at a serten speed. You stop the vehicle, try to get it in neutral or first then you try to ryde back home in first gear...or at least get out of the way

Sorry to hear about your problem ! Get it to the dealer quick.

On another note you have to start using the engine kill switch ! In a situation like the one you experienced this would have allowed you to stop or at the very least slow down.:dontknow:

SpyderGirl
04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem ! Get it to the dealer quick.

On another note you have to start using the engine kill switch ! In a situation like the one you experienced this would have allowed you to stop or at the very least slow down.:dontknow:

EXACTLY, that kill switch is there for a reason. You don't want to have to use it, but when you need to, it's good to have. It's easy to forget when you're panicking, but if you always shut the motor down using it after parking, you get used to using it. I always thought it was something they should actually have in cars too (are you reading this Toyota??)

I hope you all find the problems and get them fixed. I also hope no one gets hurt because of this.

bone crusher
04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Is that how they talk in Canada??...is that like Canadian ebonics?

Also, I'm gonna play the anti-conspiracy person yet again and say that anyone posting about a group of bikes in the same group with the same problem...well, you know.

With all the SE5s around here, I'm surprised we didn't hear of this type of issue earlier, esp. if so many bikes are apparently involved...

RoadHammer
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Is that how they talk in Canada??...is that like Canadian ebonics?

Also, I'm gonna play the anti-conspiracy person yet again and say that anyone posting about a group of bikes in the same group with the same problem...well, you know.

With all the SE5s around here, I'm surprised we didn't hear of this type of issue earlier, esp. if so many bikes are apparently involved...

His primary language is french, so he types english how he speaks in english.

Otherwise they need to get the bikes checked for sure..

venom
06-10-2010, 02:15 PM
BRP finaly a recall...must be a big job 11/2hr estimated
and to answer your question 7 of our members have semi-auto problems out of 800 members..
and no i don't know how many of the members own a semi-auto, and i'm sure many of our members did not post there problems...sowwww what is the %...?????

pjp623
06-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Any idea at what point miles/km wise that these problems began to surface? :yikes:

dave711
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
BRP finaly a recall...must be a big job 11/2hr estimated
and to answer your question 7 of our members have semi-auto problems out of 800 members..
and no i don't know how many of the members own a semi-auto, and i'm sure many of our members did not post there problems...sowwww what is the %...?????

Thanks for bringing this to our attention here... I haven't seen any issues with mine.. but it is not an se5... good to get info from other countries!...

bone crusher
06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
EXACTLY, that kill switch is there for a reason. You don't want to have to use it, but when you need to, it's good to have. It's easy to forget when you're panicking, but if you always shut the motor down using it after parking, you get used to using it. I always thought it was something they should actually have in cars too (are you reading this Toyota??)

I hope you all find the problems and get them fixed. I also hope no one gets hurt because of this.

A lot of those Toyota acceleration problems were phony...it was the whole group psychology thing...see it here a lot too...one person has a problem and then everyone has it. Toyota's issues aren't any greater than the 1.5 million vehicles recalled by GM this week...or the 1.3 million 2 months ago...

jwfranklin
06-11-2010, 01:10 AM
A lot of those Toyota acceleration problems were phony...it was the whole group psychology thing...see it here a lot too...one person has a problem and then everyone has it. Toyota's issues aren't any greater than the 1.5 million vehicles recalled by GM this week...or the 1.3 million 2 months ago...

I'm sure some of the acceleration claims were inaccurate. All manufactuers, both automotive and otherwise sometime have recalls, althought the Toyota recalls seem to be more serious than most I have seen.
Toyota's willingness to pay the huge fine levied buy the US gov't on it, with no appeals of it at all, leads me to beleive that there own investagation showed up something, that told them there was no need fighting it. It may have happened in the past, but I think I keep up with the news in the automotive world, and I've never heard of a company being fined for a recall issue.

IWN2RYD
06-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Just my $.02. No real value :thumbup:

I agree with you. I call it the sheep effect. One does it, many follow.

That said however, I guaranty to everyone, our SE5 issue is not me being a sheep. It is dangerious and could have injured or killed us. There is no warning. Not sure if you have seen my thread on it or not.

What I will say is this. In my business we see recalls all the time. From every manufacturer. Most recalls are created because of findings from an accident investigation, repair shops identifying a potential issue and reporting it, and finally owners of the vehicles reporting it.

The problem comes into play when we as consumers (Because of the sheep type thinking) we are brushed off when being one of the first to report issues to our shop, that are not duplicate-able in the 10-15 minutes repair shops spend trying to duplicate it.

I am sure we understand why. How would they know what to repair if they do not know what is wrong internally?

But what is unexceptionable, and has happened to many times now, is these manufactures are not using the technology available to them that keep all their service departments informed. What I mean is something like a bulleten board that is search able. Issue reported + found resolutions = fix.

For example... Our RT-S starting having the recall issue. We tried twice to get it fixed. Both times they sent us back on the road claiming we are wrong and that NO OTHER report of this type had been made. We know that is wrong. A Can-AM dealer in California figured it out and reported it on another website (And to BRP BTW). Not only that, we can find 10 threads from trusted members on this very issue on our site. They chose to see our website as gossip is dissed it off as internet sheep. SERIOUSLY!!!

It took a very tactful, but dead accurate phone call to get ours fixed. We should never have to do that.

Are all the recalls necessary? No. But to protect the brands, Insurance rates, and potential lawsuit costs... The answer is clear. Yes. Recalls are the smart path.

Oh.. One more thing... Baaaaaaaa :roflblack: