PDA

View Full Version : Engine groan while going 1/2 throttle to 3/4 or higher to WOT

Sopher
04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Some times even 1/2 throttle to full open. Why is this?
I have yet to do my first service... probably in a week or two.

Example: I'm on the highway doing 45mph. Probably in 3rd gear. I open the throttle to bring it up to 55-60, go into 4th gear. Groan....
Go to 5th gear and up to 65-70+ constant groan unless i back off the throttle.

Could it be a lean/rich mixture setting? It seams to run better in 4th gear than 5th.

thoughts? :chat:

Prense01
04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
This is based only on a test drive..... At the speeds you mentioned above, I was a gear down from where you indicated you were. The engine seemed strong and smooth at those RPMs. I never found fifth gear even at speeds approaching 70mph. I have no idea if that is contributing to what you are experiencing or not. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Chris

Sopher
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Based on my 2008 RS, the gearing is definitely different on the RT. Plus I never had the issue of a bogging engine when accelerating at higher speeds.

One thought did occur to me on my drive to work this morning... on the bike.
My right ankle feels like the same blow-torch heat as my RS. But this was coming from the panel or the seams between the panels. The radiator fan also blows the torch heat as expected (and designed). I'm wondering if I have an exhaust leak/gasket issue? I have not pulled any panels. Just a quick thought.

BHawksworth
04-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Both my RT's groan the way you describe at roughly the same RPM. It is just the way the engine sounds.

Sopher
09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I think I have it mostly fixed...

I made a 2" wide AIR RAM TUBE about 24" long and inserted it into the existing airbox tube on the left side above the left front shock. The hose comes out through the front scoop. I'm basically ramming cold air into the intake and thus feeding a starving airbox.

Since thew path of the original air tube runs from the right to the left down and back, its almost allowing air to be sucked OUT of the tube not pushed in to it. WITH the AIR RAM TUBE, It guarentees fresh air is feeding the machine.

The RTS sounds and runs much better. One of my best mods yet!

clueless
09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
is that the same intake as below and behind the rear view mirrors on top of the side panels?

reason I ask is that part mentioned in the baker air wings thread that removes the small side panels and replaces with a new piece to allow air to flow into the top side vents

http://www.vertikatrykescanada.com/CSFileshare/drives/VertikaTrykes/images_site/CART-TV-350.jpg

Sopher
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
The results are the same, but without the cost.