PDA

View Full Version : RT creep issue

skypup
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
We have 240 miles on our new RT. Just lately the clutch is not disengaging fully when I stop and the bike stalls. My wife suggested that I be certain that the throttle was fully closed when braking. I took my right hand off of the throttle when coming to a full stop. This was not the problem. Not good in stop and go traffic. I pulled into the local park parking lot and definitely had creep with my foot off the brake. I had this issue with my RS, the clutch was replaced and all was well. I was curious if others might be having this issue? Thanks in advance.

8 Legged Freak
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
There have been a few SE5 clutches that have been replaced. I would say have it checked out as soon as you can.

skypup
04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
There have been a few SE5 clutches that have been replaced. I would say have it checked out as soon as you can.

Spoke with my dealer. She called BRP and they're sending a new clutch. I was concerned about being rear ended when the bike stalled in traffic. The bike started creeping and also stalling when coming to a complete stop. I'm glad I have a dealer (south texas suzuki) who is so on top of things. Thanks Kelly.:2thumbs:

elpaso
04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
yes I am having same issue, My SE5 dies when i t shifts from 2 to 1.

skypup
04-08-2010, 09:19 AM
yes I am having same issue, My SE5 dies when i t shifts from 2 to 1.

Have you mentioned it to the dealer?

westgl
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
When mine was creeping it was doing it often, and had stalled several times when coming to a stop.

The Clutch replacement fixed most of the problem, But after about another 400 miles the creeping came back.

Then they went back into the Centrifugal clutch assembly and took out three bearing weights that had bushings and had a lot of excess friction, and replaced them with three weight bearings with Ball bearings(less friction) the ball bearing weights made a Hugh difference.

My trike is a completely different bike it runs like an RS now.

I noticed that for the first time since I have owned my trike, it is getting much better gas mileage.

Now that my bike is running right it seems like, Before, the C.Clutch was slipping a lot, and not really locking up, this may have been causing my lousy gas mileage.

so far I have 75 miles and the gauge reads 1/2 way between 1/2 & 3/4, I have not been able to get much over 120 miles to a tank, it seems like I may do better than 150 per tank

Ronsam
04-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I replaced my too at 1000 miles. now is ok:2thumbs:

skypup
04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
When mine was creeping it was doing it often, and had stalled several times when coming to a stop.

The Clutch replacement fixed most of the problem, But after about another 400 miles the creeping came back.

Then they went back into the Centrifugal clutch assembly and took out three bearing weights that had bushings and had a lot of excess friction, and replaced them with three weight bearings with Ball bearings(less friction) the ball bearing weights made a Hugh difference.

My trike is a completely different bike it runs like an RS now.

I noticed that for the first time since I have owned my trike, it is getting much better gas mileage.

Now that my bike is running right it seems like, Before, the C.Clutch was slipping a lot, and not really locking up, this may have been causing my lousy gas mileage.

so far I have 75 miles and the gauge reads 1/2 way between 1/2 & 3/4, I have not been able to get much over 120 miles to a tank, it seems like I may do better than 150 per tank

Thanks for sharing, that's good to know.

elpaso
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Have you mentioned it to the dealer?

ITS had been at dealer for 2 they upgraded sodtware, reset gear positions, etc. Took it home, on the way home it stalled twice, took it back they have had it another two weeks, now they say they can't reproduce the error. Don't know whats next.

Questions
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Yahoo. I thought it was just me, but my 2009 SE5 had the same problem that ya'll are talking about. I stop and keep the brake on tight while the RPMs soar. I too have had it in the shop when it stalled at a stop and nearly threw me over the bike. The repair folks said that my idle was too low. Don't know what they did but now when I ride for a short distance, (50 miles or less) and I come to a stop the Idle is very high and I have to keep my foot jammed down on the brake or it creeps along at a high rate of speed. Recently I talked to a different repair shop, (the manager says it definitely has a problem), and I will be taking my bike to them to get fixed.

Lassie

My granny always said "Pull yourself up by your boot straps, stand tall and take charge."

"Youth is not entirely a time of life; it is a state of mind. Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old by deserting their ideals. You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubts; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. "
General Douglas McArthur

wcc002
05-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm new to motorcycling so lets see if understand this correctly. I might be having the same problem and I might be overcoming it incorrectly. Had no problem with bike stalling at stop lights when I took my hand off of the throttle for first 100 or so miles. Then it started stalling at stop signs/red lights if I did so. Now at stops if I keep the RPMs above 1500, it does not stall. Question: Do I need to tell my dealer about this at the 600 mile check? Are you normally able to let it idle on its own at stops without having to keep on the throttle?

skypup
05-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm new to motorcycling so lets see if understand this correctly. I might be having the same problem and I might be overcoming it incorrectly. Had no problem with bike stalling at stop lights when I took my hand off of the throttle for first 100 or so miles. Then it started stalling at stop signs/red lights if I did so. Now at stops if I keep the RPMs above 1500, it does not stall. Question: Do I need to tell my dealer about this at the 600 mile check? Are you normally able to let it idle on its own at stops without having to keep on the throttle?

Absolutely. If it is stalling when you release the throttle it is most likely that your clutch is not disengaging at idle throttle causing the engine to stop. Your idle may just be too low but you need to have it checked out. Does the bike move at idle when you release the brake? That's creeping and also an indication of clutch problems.

Tenfour57
05-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I went out on my first long ride on my RTS today and it did the creep/stall thing FIVE times in 2 1/2 hours, mostly after the first hour.

I have to say thanks to all who have posted on this thread, because before I bought my spyder I read about this and was hoping it would not happen to me, but it has. Thank goodness I had read about it and what to do so I didn't panic and freak out!! It is such a weird sensation to not have control when you are pushing the brake down at a stop.

Called the Dealer and taking it in on Monday/Tuesday to get it fixed. He said "I have heard of that happening"... If they know this happens and it is dangerous, why doesn't BRP have a recall and replace all the clutches???

Anyway, thanks for all the good information on this site. I really appreciate all the time you take to post.

Will fill you in on what they actually do to fix it...

Lamonster
05-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I posted this in another thread but here's the problem.

You'll need 3 new needle bearing weights to replace the 3 bushing type weights. It's about a 2 hour job.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=8360
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=8359