PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Ground Under Seat

MarkLawson
04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Many folks have commented on how difficult it is to remove/install that ground bolt next to the fuse panel under the seat. BRP used a 6mm bolt with a self locking (nylon) nut on the bottom side. To get a wrench on that nut is very difficult. I finally removed the fuse panel completely to get the room to remove the nut. I was at Home Depot and decided that I would cut threads into that hole the bolt runs through & bought both 7mm & 8mm bolts & took them home. When I looked, I found that BRP had already threaded that hole & that the 8mm bolt fit. I did have to drill out the hole on the end of the cable going to the negative pole of the battery & also replace the connector to a larger one on the wire that runs to the fuel tank to fit on the larger bolt.

Now, when I want to ground something at that point, it is easy.

Bootie
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Many folks have commented on how difficult it is to remove/install that ground bolt next to the fuse panel under the seat.
[snip, snip]
Now, when I want to ground something at that point, it is easy.
I had some trouble losening that bolt too. The reason I was messing with it was that the dealer/factory did not provide a proper ground for my GPS. As a result it wasn't charging.
My quesition is this...where is the ground connection supposed to be made? As I trace the ground from the GPS connector it is routed along the frame to a violet-colored plug under the tupperware panel that's under the seat. I checked continuity on all pins on that plug and NO GROUND COULD BE FOUND. Question is, then, how is the GPS supposed to be grounded? I ended up running a redundant ground to the (-) bolt(the bolt of interest in this thread) under the seat and that seems to have taken care of the grounding problem. But I still wonder where the heck the GPS ground is acquired. :dontknow:
I have the Shop Manual with the Electrical Circuits but I haven't found the proper ground, yet.

Bootie