PDA

View Full Version : Front sprocket which way

burg650
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Which is the right way that the front sprocket should go, I ask as I was looking at two spyders and both had it turn different. One had the lip on the outside and the other had the lip on the inside, my guess is that the lip should be on the outside to prevent the belt from coming off.

boborgera
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Which is the right way that the front sprocket should go, I ask as I was looking at two spyders and both had it turn different. One had the lip on the outside and the other had the lip on the inside, my guess is that the lip should be on the outside to prevent the belt from coming off.

The sprocket on my 08 Sm5 has the flange on the out side.[front]
In my humble opinion that's the way it should go.:dontknow:

fastfraser
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
The sprocket on my 08 Sm5 has the flange on the out side.[front]
In my humble opinion that's the way it should go.:dontknow:

:agree:My 2009 SE has the flange on the outside as well.

docdoru
04-05-2010, 04:09 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00566.jpg?t=1270552995

NancysToy
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
That is correct. The rear sprocket flange is on the inside, and the front sprocket on the outside. Between the two of them they keep the belt in place if it wanders.

Roadkill
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
... One had the lip on the outside and the other had the lip on the inside, my guess is that the lip should be on the outside to prevent the belt from coming off.

+As you're aware, the lip is designed to aid in belt retention. You should alert the owner and/or dealer of the improperly mounted sprocket, if possible.

I find it unfathomable for a dealer to miss this.

Ride on.
Roadkill

SpyderWolf
04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00566.jpg

Wow Doc, why is your sprocket so shiny? Mine doesn't look anything like that and I have a lot less miles than you do. :dontknow:

burg650
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow Doc, why is your sprocket so shiny? Mine doesn't look anything like that and I have a lot less miles than you do. :dontknow:

I think Doc should be more worried about that brown/rust color all around his sprocket, for what I have been told and have seen on the forum that is a sign of the main bearing going bad.

Thanks to all for the answers, I showed his what all of you said now he believes me. Right now he is steaming mad as his spyder was in the shop for 6 months getting engine re-built and after that had to go back twice for oil leaks and now this, does not look good for dealer.

SpyderWolf
04-06-2010, 06:05 AM
I think Doc should be more worried about that brown/rust color all around his sprocket, for what I have been told and have seen on the forum that is a sign of the main bearing going bad.

Thanks to all for the answers, I showed his what all of you said now he believes me. Right now he is steaming mad as his spyder was in the shop for 6 months getting engine re-built and after that had to go back twice for oil leaks and now this, does not look good for dealer.

My entire sprocket is getting rusty already, and I am looking for something I can do to stop it from getting any worse. :dontknow:

You are also right about his situation not looking good for that dealer at all. Do you know if he has made any calls to BRP about his problems?

effgjamis
04-08-2010, 06:58 AM

I think it is a picture of one of his replacements.

SpyderWolf
04-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I think it is a picture of one of his replacements.

Thanks Forrest, that would explain the difference.