PDA

View Full Version : License to ride.

sandrunr1
04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
:dontknow:My wife and I bought a new 09. Went to the DMV for test and motorcycle license. We were told it cost $25.00 each for the test. I asked about driving test , she wasn't sure how to handle this. She went to a supervisor and we were told we don't need motorcycle license for three wheeler. We live in Nevada and the dealer showed us 2 letters from the same DMV office. One said license not needed and the other said you do. HMMMMM. When registering, I will ask for a letter stating we don't need in case stopped by police. Don't know what else to do. Anyone have any advice?

irish2themax
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
:dontknow:My wife and I bought a new 09. Went to the DMV for test and motorcycle license. We were told it cost $25.00 each for the test. I asked about driving test , she wasn't sure how to handle this. She went to a supervisor and we were told we don't need motorcycle license for three wheeler. We live in Nevada and the dealer showed us 2 letters from the same DMV office. One said license not needed and the other said you do. HMMMMM. When registering, I will ask for a letter stating we don't need in case stopped by police. Don't know what else to do. Anyone have any advice?

According to Nevada DMV's website (http://www.dmvstat.com/nvdl.htm#Classes):

Class M is for motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. Additionally, Nevada has a Class M license with a U Restriction that limits riders to mopeds, trimobiles, and motorcycles that are less than 90 cc and do not exceed 6½ horsepower.

HTML clipboardlink

SpyderRyder
04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Nevada law states that if the vehicle has one drive wheel, it's considered a motorcyle. More than one drive wheel and it's not a motorcycle. Strange, considering that a three wheel HD or Honda is not a motorcycle.welcome

aka1004
04-05-2010, 02:21 PM
nevada has this funky law where you don't need motorcycle license for trike and no mandatory helmet law BUT, trike in nevada is 2 wheel driving the vehicle so spyder is technically a motorcycle in nevada. of course people that work in dmv does not know this for the most part...

BajaRon
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
nevada has this funky law where you don't need motorcycle license for trike and no mandatory helmet law BUT, trike in nevada is 2 wheel driving the vehicle so spyder is technically a motorcycle in nevada. of course people that work in dmv does not know this for the most part...

It is typical for DMV (or any other government organization) not to know what they are talking about. Believe me, I've been there many times and have the stories to confirm my opinion. And I'm not necessarily against all government (having worked in fire suppression for 33 years).

But it is a sad situation. And in this case you could easily end up getting sighted by one arm of the government (enforcement) while being told to essentially violate the law by another (DMV). It comes to the place where if you don't know more than your government servant you could end up holding the bag. (signed document not withstanding - And I'd be very surprised if you can get this out of them).

But don't worry, these same people are now in charge of auto companies, the banking industry and your health care. We are definintly getting the change we were promised.

BMW
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
It is typical for DMV (or any other government organization) not to know what they are talking about. Believe me, I've been there many times and have the stories to confirm my opinion. And I'm not necessarily against all government (having worked in fire suppression for 33 years).

But it is a sad situation. And in this case you could easily end up getting sighted by one arm of the government (enforcement) while being told to essentially violate the law by another (DMV). It comes to the place where if you don't know more than your government servant you could end up holding the bag. (signed document not withstanding - And I'd be very surprised if you can get this out of them).

But don't worry, these same people are now in charge of auto companies, the banking industry and your health care. We are definintly getting the change we were promised.
:yikes:Now we need:pray: Love MY :spyder2:BMW

babyanlee
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
:2thumbs:you could always change states & come to Fl :roflblack:

YPILOT
04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Go ahead and get your motorcycle license and your covered. You never know when you might want to ride a two wheeler.:doorag:

boborgera
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Go ahead and get your motorcycle license and your covered. You never know when you might want to ride a two wheeler.:doorag:

:agree: Once you get a Motorcycle license it's good for life. Also even if you don't it need to ride a Spyder 'If you decide to get a two wheeler a few years down the road, The time you have the license will count for a discount on most M/C insurance. Most ask how many years have you had a M/C license.

Campverdefela
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
:agree: Once you get a Motorcycle license it's good for life. Also even if you don't it need to ride a Spyder 'If you decide to get a two wheeler a few years down the road, The time you have the license will count for a discount on most M/C insurance. Most ask how many years have you had a M/C license.
:agree:You very well may need it if you ride thru other states. The operating part of the test should be a breeze on your Spyder.

irish2themax
04-05-2010, 04:23 PM
What do the people at DMV know anyway? They're just glorified customer service reps. Check with law enforcement...they'll be the ones giving you a ticket

SpyderWolf
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
:agree:You very well may need it if you ride thru other states. The operating part of the test should be a breeze on your Spyder.

I always thought other states had to honor the policy of the state your driver's license is from? In South Carolina we do not need a motorcycle endorsement. While I have mine from earlier riding days before the Spyder, my wife does not have hers. I have tried to convince her to take the test, but she has not wanted to do so yet.

What do the people at DMV know anyway? They're just glorified customer service reps. Check with law enforcement...they'll be the ones giving you a ticket

When in doubt, look for an LEO. We have had many conversations with them about the Spyder, and they were quick to point out we did not need the motorcycle endorsement here. They also were more than happy to explain what color of LED lights would get us a ticket if we added them. :thumbup:

3Ryder
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
My 2010 RT-S was registered yesterday using one of the 3rd party services. They used the DMV office on Sahara and were told by two techs and one supervisor that the Spyder did not require a motorcycle license.

Having decided to proceed with obtaining a motorcycle license anyway, I took the written test at the Henderson DMV office, and once done with the paperwork, I ask a supervisor about licensing. He checked with a variety of others and reported back that the Spyder did not require a motorcycle license. He also claimed that the other states would respect Nevada rules.

Now, this doesn't clear up the remaining conflict between the definition of a motorcycle in the regs as having only one drive wheel, mentioned above. It's the one thing that has stumped even my dealer, who was happy to hear what I was told, but still left with concerns about where the definition leads to.

So...I went for my first ride today but I'm still signed up for the safety course and intend to get my motorcycle license.

boborgera
04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
My 2010 RT-S was registered yesterday
So...I went for my first ride today but I'm still signed up for the safety course and intend to get my motorcycle license.

:2thumbs:
Smart move in getting a M/C license and taking the safety course.:yes:

BajaRon
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I always thought other states had to honor the policy of the state your driver's license is from? :thumbup:

I think that generally this is true. But officers may or may not know what different states require for the Spyder. If you need a M/C endorsement to ride the Spyder (like here in Tennessee and also in California) and you get pulled over there with no M/C endorsement, will the officer take your word for it?

3Ryder
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I think that generally this is true. But officers may or may not know what different states require for the Spyder. If you need a M/C endorsement to ride the Spyder (like here in Tennessee and also in California) and you get pulled over there with no M/C endorsement, will the officer take your word for it?

Agree:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

That is a very good point. I am good, but I guess she will just have to take her chances if she doesn't want to get the endorsement.

BajaRon
04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
That is a very good point. I am good, but I guess she will just have to take her chances if she doesn't want to get the endorsement.

I don't know how much of a problem it would really be. Probably depend on the situation and vary from officer to officer. But I guess that's exactly what I don't like about it. I don't like to be in the position where I have to rely on the good will of law enforcement.

A little unrelated (or maybe not). But here in Tennessee you don't have to register a trailer, atv and maybe other vehicles. But if you leave the state you'd better have tags for them or you're going to get nailed.

That is because these are requirements in other states and they don't care what Tennessee says. If you're going to operate in their state you've got to have what they require.

The other thing I don't like is when I get differing opinions from the very people who are supposed to know. And where will they be when I get pulled over?

It could be asking for a D'OH! moment!

NancysToy
04-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know how much of a problem it would really be. Probably depend on the situation and vary from officer to officer. But I guess that's exactly what I don't like about it. I don't like to be in the position where I have to rely on the good will of law enforcement.

A little unrelated (or maybe not). But here in Tennessee you don't have to register a trailer, atv and maybe other vehicles. But if you leave the state you'd better have tags for them or you're going to get nailed.

That is because these are requirements in other states and they don't care what Tennessee says. If you're going to operate in their state you've got to have what they require.

The other thing I don't like is when I get differing opinions from the very people who are supposed to know. And where will they be when I get pulled over?

It could be asking for a D'OH! moment!
So if you don't register trailers in your state, how do you get the tags to go to other states? :dontknow: Catch 22?

BajaRon
04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
So if you don't register trailers in your state, how do you get the tags to go to other states? :dontknow: Catch 22?

Oh, you can register them here. Tennessee will gladly take your money and issue you plates and date tags. But it is optional, not required.

If you don't plan to leave the state it's not a problem to have no registration and you can skip the fees.

C3517C
04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm a lieutenant with Las Vegas Metro, 25 years on. Soon I'll be riding my Spyder all day instead of working. But here's the real deal. Please be advised that this is for NEVADA ONLY.
SpyderRyder and AKA1004 are correct. The Spyder is powered by one wheel and is NOT a trike in Nevada. It is a motorcycle and requires a helmet and motorcycle license. Trikes are powered by 2 wheels. Now for the reality, Do most officers know this -NO. Does some clerk at DMV know this - of course not. The fact is nobody here had ever checked into this until Spyders starting showing up. For a city of 2,000,000, we have very few of them on the road. You may only see one every few months (other than the one your sitting on) so it hasn't been an issue.
I know you guys are going to make me cite the NRS for this rule. I'm sitting at home and drinking a class of cabernet, please don't make me break out the books. It's there, I've read it, trust me. If you are cited for a violation on this topic, send me a message, I'll help.
I'm glad to see more of us from this area. I'm always up for a ride.

aka1004
04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm a lieutenant with Las Vegas Metro, 25 years on. Soon I'll be riding my Spyder all day instead of working. But here's the real deal. Please be advised that this is for NEVADA ONLY.
SpyderRyder and AKA1004 are correct. The Spyder is powered by one wheel and is NOT a trike in Nevada. It is a motorcycle and requires a helmet and motorcycle license. Trikes are powered by 2 wheels. Now for the reality, Do most officers know this -NO. Does some clerk at DMV know this - of course not. The fact is nobody here had ever checked into this until Spyders starting showing up. For a city of 2,000,000, we have very few of them on the road. You may only see one every few months (other than the one your sitting on) so it hasn't been an issue.
I know you guys are going to make me cite the NRS for this rule. I'm sitting at home and drinking a class of cabernet, please don't make me break out the books. It's there, I've read it, trust me. If you are cited for a violation on this topic, send me a message, I'll help.

does this mean i can ryde without helmet when i ryde with you?:D
kidding aside, i've been ryding here and there without helmet and has not been a issue yet even with few high patrol /las vegas metro behind me but i don't do it often. only when i only need to go very short distance.
most police officers pay more attention to spyder than what's on my head.

3Ryder
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Your post is exactly what age and experience has been screaming at me from the back of my head. DMV and law enforcement don't sing necessarily from the same page and what DMV says won't help if you have a conflict with a law.

Mea culpa on that "first ride." I'll try to be a better person but gosh, it's such a beautiful machine... Are you a motorcycle officer? Like you, would like to see the Spyder folks get to a critical mass. Even if it's a coffee and donuts breakfast meet. Will reach out when I have that endorsement. BTW...I have a good friend in the NLV police.

moabgirl
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I appreciate hearing law enforcement's perspective. I think it's prudent to take the safety course (did years ago but again, that was years ago) and get a motorcycle license just to alleviate any concern.

Ryders in Vegas! Don't forget us out here in Pahrump! We like to ryde too!
:D

C3517C
04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I guarantee when the officer sees the Spyder on the road his first thought is "That is a sweet looking bike". You would really have to be screwing up to turn the thought process to traffic violations. I still get a crowd around it when I ride ot to work. After everyone says how much they like it, the conversation turns into an argument about wether the helmet law applies. At least now I have done the research and have the answer.
As far as DMV......we'll we now how they work. I don't think it's much different in any state. I'm sure there are some hard working, well intended people there, but they are part of a broken system, and I'm sure they're understaffed.
I was never a motor cop. I like my motorcycles in the recreational part of life. I have, however, been assigned to traffic at times during my career. I also did bicycle patrol on the strip for 3 years :yikes: does that count ?

SpyderWolf
04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I guarantee when the officer sees the Spyder on the road his first thought is "That is a sweet looking bike". You would really have to be screwing up to turn the thought process to traffic violations. I still get a crowd around it when I ride ot to work. After everyone says how much they like it, the conversation turns into an argument about wether the helmet law applies. At least now I have done the research and have the answer.
As far as DMV......we'll we now how they work. I don't think it's much different in any state. I'm sure there are some hard working, well intended people there, but they are part of a broken system, and I'm sure they're understaffed.
I was never a motor cop. I like my motorcycles in the recreational part of life. I have, however, been assigned to traffic at times during my career. I also did bicycle patrol on the strip for 3 years :yikes: does that count ?

:2thumbs:

You are right on the money, it is the same in every state that I have lived in so far.