PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems, New RT

Bootie
04-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I picked up my new RT-SM5 from the Dealer. In checking it out I noticed that my GPS was not charging and upon further inspection I noticed that the GPS connector was not supplying 12V. I check the GPS Fuse, up front, and find that everything is OK there. There seems to be a disconnect between the front fuse and the access at the rear. It looks as though it was miswired at the factory.:mad:

Any suggestions for where to look for the problem. Also, what if I run a separate switched 12V line from the front fuse block to the GPS connecter.
If I can't do this, I envision big problems because, warranty repair has to be done at the Dealer which is 300mi, round trip, for me.:mad:

Bruce

retread
04-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Miswired during setup at the dealer is more like it, most of this stuff is shipped separate and dealer installed.

john

Lamonster
04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
:agree:
That's a dealer installed accessory. I wouldn't do anything yourself unless you want to own the problem. I understand that it's a 300 mile round trip but didn't you buy the RT to ride? I'm always looking for a reason to go for a little ride and it sounds like you have a good one. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Bootie
04-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I'd agree with you guys:agree:except for the following. The dealer installed the GPS according to Garmin's instructions. They provided some crimp connectors that fit in a plug under the right-side panel. I have inspected this connection and have verified that it was done correctly. The problem is that there is no 12V at the plug that the GPS was wired into and the dealer says that they did not mess with anything beyond that plug.
I also notice that the sensors that are supposed to tell when one of the rear compartments is open are not working. I get NO indication on my digital display.:(

I don't mind ryding the 300mi to/from the dealer. My concern is that I'll get stuck in Corry, PA for a couple of days while they try to find the problem:sour:

ThreeWheels
04-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I picked up my new RT-SM5 from the Dealer. In checking it out I noticed that my GPS was not charging and upon further inspection I noticed that the GPS connector was not supplying 12V. I check the GPS Fuse, up front, and find that everything is OK there. There seems to be a disconnect between the front fuse and the access at the rear. It looks as though it was miswired at the factory.:mad:

Any suggestions for where to look for the problem. Also, what if I run a separate switched 12V line from the front fuse block to the GPS connecter.
If I can't do this, I envision big problems because, warranty repair has to be done at the Dealer which is 300mi, round trip, for me.:mad:

Bruce

300 miles ?? Is that the closest dealer, or just the dealer you chose to purchase from due to cost/delivery ?

A quick search indicates a dealer that's 33.8 miles from you in Brookpark. I can't vouch for their quality or ability, just that the BRP site indicates somebody closer.

If it's a warranty issue, I imagine that any dealer should honor it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the GPS connector. Is that on the cradle? Don't discount Garmin. You may very well have a proper installation, but the Garmin could be faulty. Have you tried it in the car? Does it charge up in the car cradle. I know Garmin had a rash of bad MC cradles when they first introduced the Zumo 550.

Bootie
04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
300 miles ?? Is that the closest dealer, or just the dealer you chose to purchase from due to cost/delivery ?

There IS a dealer in Cleveland (35mi) but my interactions with them have been lousy in the past:mad: They do not seem to know the Spyder very well and could care less. The dealer in Corry, PA was the next nearest dealer and I have been happy with them. I guess 300 mi ain't that far.
bt

Lamonster
04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I'd agree with you guys:agree:except for the following. The dealer installed the GPS according to Garmin's instructions. They provided some crimp connectors that fit in a plug under the right-side panel. I have inspected this connection and have verified that it was done correctly. The problem is that there is no 12V at the plug that the GPS was wired into and the dealer says that they did not mess with anything beyond that plug.
I also notice that the sensors that are supposed to tell when one of the rear compartments is open are not working. I get NO indication on my digital display.:(

I don't mind ryding the 300mi to/from the dealer. My concern is that I'll get stuck in Corry, PA for a couple of days while they try to find the problem:sour:

Sounds like you have more than just a GPS issue and really the only way you're going to get it fixed without owning the problem is taking it to the dealer.

By the way when I bought my first Spyder my nearest dealer was 600 miles away (one way). nojoke

NancysToy
04-04-2010, 10:20 AM

I guess my first question is whether this is the BRP optional GPS system for the RT, or an ordinary Garmin GPS that was wired in. The factory GPS should have had its own wiring harness, that was plug and play, as far as I know. At any rate, are you sure the "luggage open" switches are not working? These work off the load-shedding relay, and are only powered when the Spyder ignition is actually on. If this (and some additional accessories, like the heated grips) don't work when the engine is running, remember that there are actually two fuses that feed this circuit. one in the rear fuse box and another in the front. If you are hooked into this circuit, be aware that the GPS will only be powered (charge) when the machine is running, not when it is parked. If those simple steps don't restore power, You will have to take it back to the dealer for a thorough troubleshooting.

Bootie
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by the GPS connector. Is that on the cradle? Don't discount Garmin. You may very well have a proper installation, but the Garmin could be faulty. Have you tried it in the car? Does it charge up in the car cradle. I know Garmin had a rash of bad MC cradles when they first introduced the Zumo 550. Works OK in the car. This is the actual Can Am GPS. It is not supplied with a plug-and-play setup but it has to be wired into a wiring harness under the seat.

Well it took 2 days and lots of debugging and I have the problem(s) fixed.
There appear to be two problems:spyder:
The first problem is traced to BAD or non-existent GROUNDING. There was no ground continuity between the GPS Ground wire and battery ground. I fixed the problem by running a redundant ground wire from the plug under the seat to the frame of the trike:thumbup:
The second problem is a lack of a 12V supply to the GPS power connector. I fixed this problem by cutting the 12V lead from the GPS (the one with the 2A fuse) and running it directly to the 12V battery connector. I then tied the lead from the plug (the lead coming from the violet connector) off so it wouldn't short out against the frame. Only problem is that power to the GPS is on all the time. If I forget to turn the unit off or remove it from its mount, I could drain the battery:clap:

I am not sure how somebody (probably at the factory) missed both the 12V and Ground but they did. The problem is, I think, under the top case and I will have the dealer (yeah, the 300mi one) take a look when I bring it in for 600mi maintenance.

Thanks for your suggestions but being an electrical engineer I decided that I could do a better job of discovering and fixing the problem. I like to work on these things anyway; that's why I got rid of my BMW.
Bruce

NancysToy
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Glad you found it, Bruce. Irritating to chase things like this on something brand new, I know! Been there already, myself. Still can't believe the dealer did not check operability. It is the very last item in the instructions. Did you get your luggage alarms working again? I still have three BMWs, just to calm me down when my nerves get frazzled, but frankly, my BMW RT has more body panel screws than my RTS. :D

Bootie
04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey Scotty, thanks.:2thumbs:
The strange thing is that the GPS worked from the start (it was running on its own battery). So it looked like everything was fine until the internal battery ran out. If the dealer was unfamiliar with the particular model of GPS I could see how they could miss the subtle indications that something was amiss.
Without a wiring diagram I cannot tell where the ground lead was supposed to be attached. Somewhere under the rear top trunk or behind the passenger seat I think.

Anyway, it is working now.:D
Regarding BMW, I had a K1200GT. I took it to Nova Scotia last summer. Given the high center of gravity which was made worse with my tent, sleeping bag and mattress, I dropped it three times. When I got back to Ohio I had decided to get a Spyder (there were lots of them in NS). Now I will not be dropping my scoot anymore. I'm happy:2thumbs:

NancysToy
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Regarding BMW, I had a K1200GT. I took it to Nova Scotia last summer. Given the high center of gravity which was made worse with my tent, sleeping bag and mattress, I dropped it three times. When I got back to Ohio I had decided to get a Spyder (there were lots of them in NS). Now I will not be dropping my scoot anymore. I'm happy:2thumbs:
Yep, my BMW R1100RT is top heavy, too, and worse when loaded. Thank goodness there is no room for a passenger along with all my gear. I have not dropped it under those conditions, but I have strained myself badly, and worry more and more as my body ages and fails me. I have refused to even try a K1200LT. The Spyder RTS saved me from a bad itch to get an LT, despite knowing it would be a huge mistake. Now if they can actually get my RTS to handle safely, stop decently, and get the engine to run right, I will get to test my theory.

Bootie
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Well, I finally got my problems with my GPS installation worked out. It looks like the 12V supply and Ground connections for the GPS installation come with a wiring harness that is provided with the Radio Installation.:lecturef_smilie: It looks like BRP never figured that anyone would order a GPS without ordering the radio, too.:gaah: This makes the GPS installation MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE because you have to buy the radio installation, too.:mad: The only way around this problem is to wire in a separate 12V and Ground the way I did.:dontknow:
Bootie

NancysToy
04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, I finally got my problems with my GPS installation worked out. It looks like the 12V supply and Ground connections for the GPS installation come with a wiring harness that is provided with the Radio Installation.:lecturef_smilie: It looks like BRP never figured that anyone would order a GPS without ordering the radio, too.:gaah: This makes the GPS installation MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE because you have to buy the radio installation, too.:mad: The only way around this problem is to wire in a separate 12V and Ground the way I did.:dontknow:
Bootie
Thanks for the explanation. BRP does not specify this in any way. Oops! It would have been beneficial to have some auxiliary harnesses available so one could use any combination of accesories and trim package that they desire.

Jornie1
04-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I have just installed a Garmin Zumo 660 on my RT. I purchased it directly from Garmin as my wife works for a Garmin dealer. I was able to purchase the 660 at an employee price about $600 cheaper than the astronomical price from BRP...However, it came without the BRP Cam Am adaptor harness, $60, and of course without the BRP support, P/N 709 400 662, of which you cannot buy directly from BRP until, so I'm told, Oct 2010. Thanks to an informed dealer in Elizabethton TN, he pointed out to me that I would need the adaptor harness P/N 710 002 182 to make it all work...He showed me me a BRP 660 and I took pictures of everything in the box...it is identical to the one I purchased from Garmin with the exception of the mount and that little old $60 adapter harness. That expensive little harness solves all the problems discussed above.

Len Smith..sunny SW Florida
Thanks for the explanation. BRP does not specify this in any way. Oops! It would have been beneficial to have some auxiliary harnesses available so one could use any combination of accesories and trim package that they desire.