PDA

View Full Version : 200.2 on 5.83

BajaRon
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I know some of you are not getting great fuel mileage from your Spyder and these numbers aren't fantastic (200.2 miles on 5.83 gallons). But I'm happy I can go 200 miles on a tank of fuel, if I have to. And a 50/50 mix of freeway and town with a bit better than 34 mpg isn't too bad.

I don't really keep track of my mileage when I'm doing a fair amount of stop and go because it can really vary and sometimes the numbers are a bit dissappointing. But I get around 36 or better if I'm doing all freeway and that isn't too bad.

I think if I played with my Juice Box a bit more I'd do even better. And I also think pumping my Toyo T1R up to 38psi has helped as well.

j45p3r
04-02-2010, 07:12 PM
I know some of you are not getting great fuel mileage from your Spyder and these numbers aren't fantastic (200.2 miles on 5.83 gallons). But I'm happy I can go 200 miles on a tank of fuel, if I have to. And a 50/50 mix of freeway and town with a bit better than 34 mpg isn't too bad.

I don't really keep track of my mileage when I'm doing a fair amount of stop and go because it can really vary and sometimes the numbers are a bit dissappointing. But I get around 36 or better if I'm doing all freeway and that isn't too bad.

I think if I played with my Juice Box a bit more I'd do even better. And I also think pumping my Toyo T1R up to 38psi has helped as well.
Where is your juicebox at right now? Around town I'm lucky to hit 150 miles on the tank. Typically average around 28mpg. Heading out on the highway tomorrow for the first time with the JuiceBox, will check the mileage for sure.

MarkZ28
04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Bajaron, Im the guy that just bought the filter kit off ebay, Im in Grant, AL.
On topic, I get over 30 mpg in mixed driving on my Spyder(5 speed manual), but my 09 Busa gets over 40, lol. At least I dont have to use preium in the Spyder so that helps with cost.

Firefly
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm going to ride mine until I run out of gas tomorrow... just to see how far I can go on a tank. Right now the light just turned on and I show 1 bar-- and I've gone 127 miles.

Never have I imagined I could go anywhere near 200 miles on a tank--- but I ride it like it was stolen.

BajaRon
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey Bajaron, Im the guy that just bought the filter kit off ebay, Im in Grant, AL.
On topic, I get over 30 mpg in mixed driving on my Spyder(5 speed manual), but my 09 Busa gets over 40, lol. At least I dont have to use preium in the Spyder so that helps with cost.

I get over 40 on my M109R on the freeway and it is an 1800cc. But it's apples and oranges. There is a lot more rubber on the ground with the Spyder. And a lot more profile pushing air too.

BajaRon
04-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm going to ride mine until I run out of gas tomorrow... just to see how far I can go on a tank. Right now the light just turned on and I show 1 bar-- and I've gone 127 miles.

Never have I imagined I could go anywhere near 200 miles on a tank--- but I ride it like it was stolen.

I ride pretty hard most of the time but you may ride harder. I also top my tank off as much as possible. I've usually go around 25-30 miles before the little triangle tip goes out at the top of the gauge.

Some people have never even seen that trangle tip! So that is a factor as well.

With 1 block left and only 127 on the meter you're not going to make 200 before you run dry.

BajaRon
04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Where is your juicebox at right now? Around town I'm lucky to hit 150 miles on the tank. Typically average around 28mpg. Heading out on the highway tomorrow for the first time with the JuiceBox, will check the mileage for sure.

I knew someone would ask and I looked for my JB sheet but didn't find it right away. I started with NMN's settings but they were a bit rich for me. I dialed it back a notch or 2 but I can't remember exactly.

I'm still getting a light grey/brown burn on the back of my exhaust so I know I'm at least rich enough still.

j45p3r
04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
My tips are completely black, I'm thinking I need to dial my JB back some. Right now I'm at 4.5,6,6,2,2.

BajaRon
04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
My tips are completely black, I'm thinking I need to dial my JB back some. Right now I'm at 4.5,6,6,2,2.

Black is not good. Too much fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls and you'll get a lot of wear.

Ok, I found my JB sheet. I'm running these numbers
(1st setting not used) 6, 6, 6.5, 0.5, 0.5

So we are running pretty much the same fuel amount. But you're dialing more fuel in sooner than I am with your last 2 settings.

Firefly
04-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Black is not good. Too much fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls and you'll get a lot of wear.

Ok, I found my JB sheet. I'm running these numbers
(1st setting not used) 6, 6, 6.5, 0.5, 0.5

So we are running pretty much the same fuel amount. But you're dialing more fuel in sooner than I am with your last 2 settings.

I find your settings interesting...... I've been playing with mine and was running 4,4.5,3,4,4.

Seems to run 'okay', but was getting a little sputter when cruising-- so I raised that to '4' and it was a bit better.

I had also thought of lowering modes 5,6 down quite a bit for the best reaction time.

What I interesting about your settings is you have your acceleration and full throttle set at '6' and your 'cruise' set at 6.5. Seems like you should want the opposite.....:dontknow:

Firefly
04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Also---- I heard that putting modes 5 & 6 under 2.0 doesn't work or has no effect?:dontknow:

Lamonster
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=132215&postcount=2

BajaRon
04-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I find your settings interesting...... I've been playing with mine and was running 4,4.5,3,4,4.

Seems to run 'okay', but was getting a little sputter when cruising-- so I raised that to '4' and it was a bit better.

I had also thought of lowering modes 5,6 down quite a bit for the best reaction time.

What I interesting about your settings is you have your acceleration and full throttle set at '6' and your 'cruise' set at 6.5. Seems like you should want the opposite.....:dontknow:

All the settings are relative. Each increase boosts fuel delivery based on what the Spyder's ECM would do for that function if left alone. I am not sure but I think it works on a percentage basis.

I will probably try bumping setting 2 (Acceleration Fuel) back a bit as Lamont has. And I also want to bump setting 4 back a bit (Cruise). Just to see if I can get better mileage.

But just running leaner will not necessarily give better fuel mileage. By the same token, adding fuel at cruise will not necessarily give you less MPG. You want the optimum which gives you the most HP per measure of fuel. This is where you get the best fuel mileage.

All the emmissions stuff they do to vehicles reduces MPG which means you have to burn more gas per mile. A too lean mix (which everything has these days) reduces power and MPG. Our wonderful Ethanol additive keeps the farmers happy but also reduces MPG by about 10%. The catalitic converter takes another bite out of MPG.

I've been happy with the last 2 settings. An 0.5 setting will not change anything for modes 1-3 (1 is not adjustable anyway). But for modes 3-6 the 0.5 setting is effective, though it probably makes only a small change to the ECM parameters.

Once I get everything else dialed in I may mess with the last 2. 2-Bros recommends a 4.0 and 4.0 for the last 2 as you are using. Quite a bit of difference there.

WackyDan
04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I can usually bank on 180 miles+ on back roads pushing 60/65 mph.

Highway speeds of 80 MPH drop me down to 160 miles.

Last week, with my O2 sensor dead, I was getting terrible mileage. I ran in a bad rain storm and only got 120 miles to the tank.

Lots of variables.

scdtrd
04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
F.W.I.W.

I was getting 29 - 32 on my 08 SM5 running (for the most part) 60 / 40 back roads - hwy mix.

Sold the SM5 and have a Honda NT700V ABS now. I have 2100 miles on it now (purchased March 1st 2010) and am getting 54.6mpg now. 5.2 gal tank and have gotten 256 out of one tank and avg 230 miles prior to my normal fueling.

I think the RPM's have a LOT to do with it, other factors not withstanding.

55MPH = 3800 RPM
60MPH = 4200 RPM
70MPH = 4800 RPM
75MPH = 5200 RPM

I do not remember what it was on the SM5, but I DO remember it being higher.

Like I said, F.W.I.W.

Firefly
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Spyder doesn't like running much under 5,000 rpms. I hardly ever get to use 5th gear because of this....only at 70mph or more.

I still contend the main issue with lower MPG is how UN-aerodynamic this beast is.

boborgera
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I still contend the main issue with lower MPG is how UN-aerodynamic this beast is.

:agree:Think Out house on wheels. :ohyea: It may look aerodynamic, but it ain't.
Especially with any kind of tall windshield.

BajaRon
04-05-2010, 01:40 PM
F.W.I.W.

I was getting 29 - 32 on my 08 SM5 running (for the most part) 60 / 40 back roads - hwy mix.

Sold the SM5 and have a Honda NT700V ABS now. I have 2100 miles on it now (purchased March 1st 2010) and am getting 54.6mpg now. 5.2 gal tank and have gotten 256 out of one tank and avg 230 miles prior to my normal fueling.

I think the RPM's have a LOT to do with it, other factors not withstanding.

55MPH = 3800 RPM
60MPH = 4200 RPM
70MPH = 4800 RPM
75MPH = 5200 RPM

I do not remember what it was on the SM5, but I DO remember it being higher.

Like I said, F.W.I.W.

Your "Other factors not withstanding" statement has more to do with MPG than RPM.

Of course, all things being equal, the lower the RPM the better the fuel mileage. The problem is all things are not equal and just changing RPM is not necessarily the solution otherwise we'd be riding 1-RPM machines getting 100-mpg!

In the case of your Honda vs. the Spyder there are several factors which affect MPG more than RPM.

-Honda is 200 lbs lighter than the Spyder.
-Honda's engine is 300cc's smaller than the Spyder. Or to put it another way, the Spyder's engine is 50% larger than the Honda's
-Spyder has a lot more rubber on the road than any 2 wheeler. This is an advantage in a lot of ways but does cost fuel mileage.
-Spyder has a much less aerodynamic front profile than any 2 wheeler.

To be fair we should be comparing the Spyder to other 3 wheeled vehicles. The Spyder does very well against their similar competition.

BajaRon
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Spyder doesn't like running much under 5,000 rpms. I hardly ever get to use 5th gear because of this....only at 70mph or more.

Not my experience at all. My Spyder runs pretty strong from about 4,000 RPM and 3,500 is fine as long as I'm in a lower gear and not needing to accellerate much.

I run in 5th gear all the time. I'm thinking from about 50/55mph but I'll have to check next time I ride (probably today! :D). I may downshift if I really need to accellerate but 5th is fine otherwise. I'm not lugging the Rotax.

I agree that the aerodynamics of the Spyder are not stellar but not sure what could be done about that. Also, the additional footage of rubber on the road compared to a motorcycle is a factor.

I don't have a big, sail size windshield, as some do. And I know my Yoshimura pipe, high flow air filter and JB have helped quiet a bit.

ARtraveler
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
After one week and 1000 miles on the new RTS I am consistently getting 27-28 miles per gallon. I have the semi-automatic and keep the engine revved at between 4000 & 5000. My trips are a mixed bag of highway and in town driving. If I do mostly highway, it is 28-28 1/2 mpg. The low fuel light comes on about 120-130 and I feel safe going 150 or so before refueling. The most I have put in is 5 1/2 gallons. I guess I could eke out 175 or so before going dry--but I'm not that adventurous. Im not happy with the fuel economy--but I did not buy the machine to save gas. I also use the cruise control for continuous highway driving.

BajaRon
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
It is reasonable to expect a lower MPG on the RT. It will be awhile before we get enough riders and miles ridden to get a good idea of what MPG should be on the RT but your's sounds about right.

Sarge707
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
How do you judge mileage? Wait till the red light comes on -put in 4 gallons-then count the miles when the light goes on again?:dontknow:
I,m not running it dry?:roflblack:

Firefly
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
How do you judge mileage? Wait till the red light comes on -put in 4 gallons-then count the miles when the light goes on again?:dontknow:
I,m not running it dry?:roflblack:

Typically what is done:

Fill your tank.
Clear your trip odometer.
Ride.
Fill your tank again.
Divide your trip miles by how many gallons you filled up with.

Example:

Trip says 150 miles, you put 5 gallons back in the tank = 30 MPG.

The problem is doing accurate re-fills. No matter how accurate you are, the shutoff (full) will happen at different actual amounts.... thus why it's a good idea to average 3-4 tanks worth to get a more accurate MPG.

---------------------

I run mine in the higher RPM range because I generally want (need:D) the extra power at my fingertips.. otherwise I'm downshifting into 4th and 3rd a lot. Once on the highway I'll get into 5th... but otherwise I rarely use it.

BajaRon
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Typically what is done:

Fill your tank.
Clear your trip odometer.
Ride.
Fill your tank again.
Divide your trip miles by how many gallons you filled up with.

Example:

Trip says 150 miles, you put 5 gallons back in the tank = 30 MPG.

The problem is doing accurate re-fills. No matter how accurate you are, the shutoff (full) will happen at different actual amounts.... thus why it's a good idea to average 3-4 tanks worth to get a more accurate MPG.

Exactly! :agree:

I always top mine off go get as much into the tank as possible. This also tends to give you a more uniform "Fill" level than the trip and quit method.

As suggested, over a span of 4 or 5 fill-ups you will get a good average. Just don't necessarily think you got 40mpg on one tank and 20 on the next. It is more likely that you're getting about 30mpg and just not filling to the same point each time.

With a small tank fills are much more critical for accurate MPG calculations than large tanks because of the percentage of error from one fill to the next.

BajaRon
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I run mine in the higher RPM range because I generally want (need:D) the extra power at my fingertips.. otherwise I'm downshifting into 4th and 3rd a lot. Once on the highway I'll get into 5th... but otherwise I rarely use it.

Rode today and checked my shift points and 5th gear usage. I was pretty close with my guess.

I have a 6 mile stretch of road that I drive to get into town. Speed limit is 45 but most do 50 or so on it. I don't usually look at my speed as I just go with the flow and it really doesn't matter.

I was running between 3,500 & 4,000 RPM in 5th at 45-50mph. The road is fairly level and I don't need to accelerate much and 5th gear works fine.

If I needed to pass (which isn't really feasable on this stetch) I would drop a gear or even 2 if I REALLY needed to go. I probably save a little fuel running in 5th and I'm not lugging the Rotax.

Now if I were back in San Diego with the kind of Kill or Be Killed drivers and traffic they have there I would not be in 5th anywhere near 45mph. It all depends on what you need and how soon you need it.

Jester
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Found out since the temperature came up, very short trips with a lot of throttle are terrible for the hip. 99.8 miles on 4.8 gallons. nojoke20.7 is worse than my diesel Excursion does on the highway!!!!!:D

BajaRon
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Found out since the temperature came up, very short trips with a lot of throttle are terrible for the hip. 99.8 miles on 4.8 gallons. nojoke20.7 is worse than my diesel Excursion does on the highway!!!!!:D

Drive your Excursion like you ride your Spyder and see what kind of MPG you get! :yikes: