PDA

View Full Version : Help need stuck in new port news

bandwagon
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Spyder started fouling gears pulled into exxon. Needed gas anyway so I filled up and now spyder want start. Turn key everything comes on but when starter button is pushed I get nothing at all. Any recommendations?

Firefly
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Spyder started fouling gears pulled into exxon. Needed gas anyway so I filled up and now spyder want start. Turn key everything comes on but when starter button is pushed I get nothing at all. Any recommendations?

In neutral?
Clutch in?
Kill switch ?

If those are good-- check your relays and fuses. Might have a loose relay.

Tom in NM
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM

What do you mean by, " fouling gears "?

And, do you have an SE5 or a SM5?

If the Spyder is in gear, press the brake pedal when you try to start it. It should shift into Neutral and start.

Are there any messages on the dash?

Tom

SpyderWolf
04-02-2010, 09:28 PM
It is nearly 10:30 at night now, and I surely hope you got the issue resolved.

musicarcade
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
:popcorn:

Tom in NM
04-02-2010, 10:03 PM
:popcorn:

There seems to be a theme here . . . . Spyder owners with "musical" IDs seem to have problems. :dontknow:

MusicArcade, are you back on the road yet?

Tom

krb1945
04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
find the problem? Let us know if and what you found so if someone runs into the same situation.

Her 09 SE did a similar thing at the gas station. She had forgotten to push the mode button on the dash or behind the left handle bar. Hope this helps you. /Ken

YPILOT
04-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I had the problem one time of not wanting to start. I called my dealer and he told me to remove the key wait 10 seconds and put it back and it started. Darn fussy :spyder: . Sometimes you have to give it the reboot. Regards Dennis

bandwagon
04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I got it started and made it to my son's apartment. Got ready to leave and nothing. Called several cycle shops (no service spyders) then I remembered that Lamonster posted all the Can Am shops. I went with "ALLOUT CYCLES". I called them and, was told they would look at it if they had time but could not promise me anything. So this morning I had my spyder towed to ALLOUT CYCLES. While I was there I witnessed the purchase of a RT. I gave the proud owners the Spyderlover's web site. "AC" found the problem it turned out to be a loose return cable. Which caused a "blipper code". Throttle was sticking, remember I stated earlier that the gears were fouling. What was happening at the time was I slowed the bike but, it wanted to keep running. Then I noticed that the rpm and dropping of gears were not happening. It was like I had stripped something. The service tech explained to me that the computer was reading the throttle was open. That's why the starter button being pushed resulted in nothing happening. All because of loose and possible dirty return cable. I would have never guessed. One more thing for us to learn from, hope this helps. I'm back home and the spyder gave me a nice strong ride home. Wife drove the truck to Norfolk to rescue me, nice of her. :D She complained of my 80 mph in a 65 but, I was wanting to see how the spyder performed. :2thumbs:

find the problem? Let us know if and what you found so if someone runs into the same situation.

Her 09 SE did a similar thing at the gas station. She had forgotten to push the mode button on the dash or behind the left handle bar. Hope this helps you. /Ken

SpyderWolf
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I got it started and made it to my son's apartment. Got ready to leave and nothing. Called several cycle shops (no service spyders) then I remembered that Lamonster posted all the Can Am shops. I went with "ALLOUT CYCLES". I called them and, was told they would look at it if they had time but could not promise me anything. So this morning I had my spyder towed to ALLOUT CYCLES. While I was there I witnessed the purchase of a RT. I gave the proud owners the Spyderlover's web site. "AC" found the problem it turned out to be a loose return cable. Which caused a "blipper code". Throttle was sticking, remember I stated earlier that the gears were fouling. What was happening at the time was I slowed the bike but, it wanted to keep running. Then I noticed that the rpm and dropping of gears were not happening. It was like I had stripped something. The service tech explained to me that the computer was reading the throttle was open. That's why the starter button being pushed resulted in nothing happening. All because of loose and possible dirty return cable. I would have never guessed. One more thing for us to learn from, hope this helps. I'm back home and the spyder gave me a nice strong ride home. Wife drove the truck to Norfolk to rescue me, nice of her. :D She complained of my 80 mph in a 65 but, I was wanting to see how the spyder performed. :2thumbs:

Glad to hear they were able to get it sorted out for you, and that you are back on the road. :thumbup:

YPILOT
04-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Nice! :2thumbs:

Tom in NM
04-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Bandwagon, we were just about to put your Avatar on milk cartons.

Interesting issue - thanks for letting us know so we can look for that if we experience something similar.

What did the shop do to fix it? Lubrication, some adjustment, or replacement?

Tom

musicarcade
04-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Tom

:roflblack:
Got my Spyder back last Thursday Tom. Now I'm up past 7k, trying to surpass your miles and smiles:D

Tom in NM
04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
:roflblack:
Got my Spyder back last Thursday Tom. Now I'm up past 7k, trying to surpass your miles and smiles:D

GREAT NEWS! Keep putting those smiles on.

You will beat me this weekend - I am taking it "easy" since my coolant bottle cracked, but the replacement should be in Monday and then I am off again.

Tom

bandwagon
04-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I got milk but, you don't have a bottle to put any in.:D :joke:
They lube it and made adjustments and wrote up a nice piece to pass on to my dealer should the problem re-surface. Rode it today and no problems. Hey make sure you only use one roll of duct tape on that bottle. Get back on the road soon because NM weather is too nice to be missing out. ken

Interesting issue - thanks for letting us know so we can look for that if we experience something similar.

What did the shop do to fix it? Lubrication, some adjustment, or replacement?

Tom

Tom in NM
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I got milk but, you don't have a bottle to put any in.:D :joke:
They lube it and made adjustments and wrote up a nice piece to pass on to my dealer should the problem re-surface. Rode it today and no problems. Hey make sure you only use one roll of duct tape on that bottle. Get back on the road soon because NM weather is too nice to be missing out. ken

I have temps in the 80s and I got the tape - it matches my Spyder. Yeah, if they don't call in the AM, I am taping and riding up to Taos.

Tom