PDA

View Full Version : RT windshield air flow over top give a cold neck.

Sopher
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
When riding at fast speeds, like over 60mph, I get a constant cold stream of air that I think goes over the windshield, over my helmet and right down my back. Enough to give me a cold neck cramp!

Or am I just loopy?

NancysToy
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
When riding at fast speeds, like over 60mph, I get a constant cold stream of air that I think goes over the windshield, over my helmet and right down my back. Enough to give me a cold neck cramp!

Or am I just loopy?
The RT punches a huge hole in the air. The air that is deflected is pulled into the suction created, making an air flow from the back, much like what makes the back doors of a semi trailer dirty. Nature of the beast with most large windshields or fairings, I'm afraid. It might be possible to eliminate some of it with aerodynamic adjustments, but I doubt you could do more than reduce it a little.

MarkLawson
04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
The RT punches a huge hole in the air. The air that is deflected is pulled into the suction created, making an air flow from the back, much like what makes the back doors of a semi trailer dirty. Nature of the beast with most large windshields or fairings, I'm afraid. It might be possible to eliminate some of it with aerodynamic adjustments, but I doubt you could do more than reduce it a little.

I agree with Scotty. I believe this is also the reason why I smell exhaust from time to time. I believe what I am smelling is the RT's own exhaust. It might help if there was a vent in the windshield, but don't know. Just speculating...

As for the question of being loopy... :dontknow:

TicketBait
04-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Can-Am Spyder Roadster Riding Gear & Accessories NECK WARMER
http://cdn-8.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/ec0398/4474100090.jpg

Keeps you warm while providing breathable and windproof performance
Can be adjusted to fit everyone with toggle and drawstring at back
95% Polyester, 5% Spandex

VaughnCat
04-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Or am I just loopy?

We have the same issue with cold wind coming up inside my helmet...
it feels great in 70 degree temp, but it's down right cold at 44 !!!!
I'll be interested to see if someone comes up with some.... (rear spoiler??)

But until then i'm wearing a turtleneck, scarf AND a balaclava...

docdoru
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
When riding at fast speeds, like over 60mph...
:2thumbs:

NancysToy
04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I agree with Scotty. I believe this is also the reason why I smell exhaust from time to time. I believe what I am smelling is the RT's own exhaust. It might help if there was a vent in the windshield, but don't know. Just speculating...
I'd be surprised if a vented windshield helped. First, those I have owned have been pretty useless. Second, the Spyder RT windshield is spaced away from the body enough to allow some venting, especially when raised. Finally, the windshield is still quite far away, and the Spyder is very long. Even the most aerodynamic windshields can only punch a hole in the air for so long. Somewhere behind, it curls back in to fill the vacuum, becomes turbulent, and often reverses direction to hit the back of the vehicle. A motorcycle is too dirty aerodynamically to do much about air turbulence, and still maintain a decent looking and practical design.

glynnk
04-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Or am I just loopy?
Yeah, I've had the same problem. Using a neck warmer as has already been suggested solved it for me, but now that warmer riding weather is here has eliminated the need.

Glynnk

westgl
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I Like that neck warmer.

When it is cold, I break out the Under Armor Long neck, with long sleeve the long neck part fits under my helmet.

It is Breathable, wear it under your clothes keeps you nice and warm

Under Armor works great, they have shirts, pants, socks and are all made for cold weather, they are warm but not too warm