PDA

View Full Version : At 45mph+ is your Steering "loose" in the middle band?

Sopher
04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
At highway speeds over say 45mph, is the steering on your RT loose? As in you can wiggle the steering see some wiggle on the wheels and hence make the bike feel like its too loose in the center steering band?

(sorry not sure how else to describe it).

NancysToy
04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I never wiggled the bars and watched, as you described, but my RTS was very "loose" at speed. More like it wandered all over the road, and required frequent steering corrections. This is typical of inadequate toe-in, but they have not told me what they found on mine yet. You are an experience Spyder rider. If it does not seem right, get it back to your dealer for inspection, and corrective action.

Sopher
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
ah, the voice of reason!

MarkLawson
04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I have noticed that the RT's steering is much more sensative (too sensative) and requires a much steadier hand than my wife's '08 GS. I much prefer her steering to mine.

ARtraveler
04-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm finding that a steady hand on the bars and minimum input for steering control make for a very smooth ride. I focus on trying to move the bars as little as possible. It works for me, and the machine does not feel loose at all. Ive had my new machine up to 80mph.

Sopher
04-02-2010, 02:07 PM
My machine does not seem to loose at very high speeds, but the steering band does. Meaning, I can move the streering, wiggle it and not much movement on the wheels. Kind of like when two gears are not fully meshed and the sprockets have a lot of play before the other gear will actually move.

Sopher
04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I upped the tire pressure for the fronts to 22psi and the rear to 30psi.

More stable at higher speeds but the wiggle room in the center still exists. At very slow speed the wiggle room is gone. I suspect that the DPS relaxes quite a bit above certain speeds.

syclemom
04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
I have followed my wife pulling the trailer passing on I-10 in west Texas into triple digits and can tell you hers is rock solid, she can release handle bars @ 50mph . and the only issue is eventually the crown gets it , I have noticed they are very sensitive to input to the bars , shew is a very experienced trike rider so is very good at this, myself if it was mine would wish for longer steering arms to slow down the steering, in my racing experience slight toe out is very stable, toe in can hunt its own line if this makes any sense, I can tell you hers has slight toe out about 1/8in. by tape measure.