PDA

View Full Version : RT Update- Gearbox Position Sensor Initialization

Lamonster
04-01-2010, 03:28 PM
If you have not heard from your dealer about this you might want to give them a call and see if your RT is on the list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ROADSTER
WARRANTY
Bulletin

CAUTION: All involved customers must be notified, all involved units must be corrected as per instructions herein.

Campaign no.: 2010–0004
March 26th, 2010

Subject:Spyder™
RT Gearbox Position Sensor Initialization
No. 2010-4
YEAR
MODEL
MODEL NUMBER
SERIAL NUMBER
Spyder

RT SM5 and SE5
A3AB, A4AA, A4AE, A4AG, A7AA, A7AD,
A9AA, A9AC, A9AD, A9AF, B5AC

PROBLEM
Vehicles listed may have been produced without
the gearbox position sensor (GBPS) being initial-
ized and may display some or all of the following
symptoms:
– Check engine light on
– Error in gear position readout in cluster
– Cruise control may not function
– Possible loss of automatic downshift feature on
SE5 models.
– Gear shifting may take longer on SE5 models.

SOLUTION
Carry out the gearbox position sensor initialization
procedure.

NancysToy
04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Lamont. Mine is in the shop already, so I expect they will pick this up along the way. I have had no problems of this nature, however. Lots of other issues, but OK on this.

westgl
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
My Spyder has the delayed shift,

I took it in yesterday, for delayed shift, My dealer while test riding my Spyder the Centrifugal clutch hung up, My Dealer took it on them self to order & over night the parts needed to repair the C. clutch.

I love the fact that my dealer Water World(Ted Dole) really goes the extra mile to make customers happy, and get the bikes up and running as fast as possible.

I cant wait to pick up my Spyder on Friday, If it doesn't rain.

I need, I don't Want! I NEED!!! to ride my Spyder.

Westgl

BumbleBee
04-02-2010, 04:40 AM
I had a problem with my gear shift, and beyond....
Mine was delayed, loud clunking noise, and went on like this for the past couple of days, and then this....
While out ryding yesterday, my RT died on me three times, all kinds of lights flashing on my dash board, then the Transmission Fault Code came on, and then a Error code.
Right after that I couldn't down shift anymore either, my gear was stuck in third. I had to push it several times and pretty hard to get it to go to 1, which it never did (E was showing instead of 1).
Kept my cool, stayed calm, and didn't panic. :D
All this happening with my son as my passenger, heavy traffic, and luckily my husband was with me on his bike. I got us home. I was scarred but I stayed calm and did not panic!
Called the Dealer, and in the shop it went this morning.
There is an update, which was just send out, you might want to check with your Dealer.
It's a Gear Position Sensor Initialization.
The computer will learn the shift patterns.
I also had 3 other updates, can't remember what they were (this all toke about 2 hours).

I went ryding when we got back home. The RT is running smooth, no loud gear shifting, running great again.
I hope this info helps, check with your Dealers and get your updates!

My biggest Thanks to KEVIN (Best Tech for my Spyder) and all the great people at CowTown. They are the best!

manoman14
04-02-2010, 05:23 AM
I had mine at the dealer yesterday for it's 600 mile service. The tech mentioned when I arrived that a new update had just come from BRP. After the service was complete, he said my bike was up to date and did not need any updates. I guess since it was a later build it already had the update done on the production line.

VaughnCat
04-02-2010, 01:33 PM
s
My Spyder has the delayed shift,

I took it in yesterday, for delayed shift, My dealer while test riding my Spyder the Centrifugal clutch hung up, My Dealer took it on them self to order & over night the parts needed to repair the C. clutch.

I love the fact that my dealer Water World(Ted Dole) really goes the extra mile to make customers happy, and get the bikes up and running as fast as possible.

I cant wait to pick up my Spyder on Friday, If it doesn't rain.

I need, I don't Want! I NEED!!! to ride my Spyder.

Westgl

Sounds like you're suffering from the same thing we are:
PMS - parked motorcycle syndrome :yikes:

We saw your Spyder when we picked up our Spyder from Ted yesterday, :yes:
(installed highway pegs, replaced the fuel gauge & and locks)
yes, he does go the extra mile. Great service, great staff :2thumbs:

westgl
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Vaughncat,

We will have to go on a ride sometime, They only problem is I cant get my wife off the back seat, that's where she sleeps, come to think of it she did come with the bike.

Don't make me break into the song, me & my shadow, She's a good kid, I think I'll keep her.

Whu-O, she looking over my shoulder, ok now the beatings start, :yikes:
Save me.

westgl

Lamonster
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey Vaughncat,

We will have to go on a ride sometime, They only problem is I cant get my wife off the back seat, that's where she sleeps, come to think of it she did come with the bike.

Don't make me break into the song, me & my shadow, She's a good kid, I think I'll keep her.

Whu-O, she looking over my shoulder, ok now the beatings start, :yikes:
Save me.

westgl

Not for sure yet but I may be in your area Wednesday, if so maybe we can hookup.:doorag:

Mr.B
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
I had mine at the dealer yesterday for it's 600 mile service. The tech mentioned when I arrived that a new update had just come from BRP. After the service was complete, he said my bike was up to date and did not need any updates. I guess since it was a later build it already had the update done on the production line.
Manoman,

When did you buy your RT? I have had mine for a week and plan to go for a long ride tomorrow. I'm wondering if the factory allready updated mine like they did yours.

manoman14
04-03-2010, 05:20 AM
I took delivery the first part of February, PE #793. Having a higher or lower vin# probably has more to do with already having the updates or not than the date you took delivery. There have ben many people recently receiving PE models with much lower numbers than mine. If I were you, I'd go for that long ride and enjoy it to the fullest. :D
welcome:congrats: on your new ride!

westgl
04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
OK My Spyder is back at the dealer again for the Centrifugal Clutch (shifting delay or I thought)

I took it in to my dealer for what I thought was a delayed shift.

My dealer test rode the Spyder said It was not a software download, because I already had the latest revision, but the Clutch hanging up & causing the delay. The delay was actually a slipping Centrifugal clutch.

My dealer, (I am so happy to have such a Great Dealer) said it was three weight/bearings that were changed out for the newer ones.

The weighted bearings, I had, have a bushing in the center, the bushing seems to cause more friction & does not let the weight's do there job.

The bushing style did feel like they were binding.

My Dealer replaced the weights with the new ones that have roller bearings.

Let me describe the difference, Because it is like Night & Day

Before:
From a Stop: It takes a lot of throttle movement to get away from a stop, felt like clutch was slipping most of the time away from a stop. (you cant tell until you have something to compare it to)

Shifting: Clutch was slipping really bad and made it feel like a delayed shift

After:
From a Stop: It takes very little throttle movement to get away from a stop, and throttle feel much more responsive.

Shifting: Very quick, positive shift, after shift bike just moves no slip

All I can say is WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
much better.

I want to thank my dealer, Water World for doing such a great job, getting my Spyder 1st working correctly, & 2nd getting it done so fast.

westgl
04-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Wednesday April 7,

Sure, I just got my Spyder back today. It is running really good.

I'll send you a PM.