PDA

View Full Version : No response from Carlo, perhaps you can help me.

Questions
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I sent the following email to Carlo on Monday. I have an appointment next week to have the upgrades done. There seem to be some confusion at the dealership as to the purpose of the second upgrade. Any input would be appreciated. I want to make sure everything is done correctly.

Carlo,

I checked with the local dealer and based on my VIN number (XXX002401) my Spyder requires the first and second upgrade. I’ll have this done next week. Two questions, does the second upgrade include the canister hose extension? Please let me know exactly what is involved in the second upgrade. I have heard that the second upgrade would address the gas smell, is this accurate? With my Spyder, after I ride, I park the Spyder out for a while until the strong smell of gas disappears before I bring the Spyder into the garage.

Second question, In order to avoid oil in the air box, a number of owners have installed an oil separatorie. Lamonster (Spyder lovers site). This seems like a good solution and simple approach. Would this change void the warranty?

Thank you,

wyliec
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
I sent the following email to Carlo on Monday. I have an appointment next week to have the upgrades done. There seem to be some confusion at the dealership as to the purpose of the second upgrade. Any input would be appreciated. I want to make sure everything is done correctly.

Carlo,

I checked with the local dealer and based on my VIN number (XXX002401) my Spyder requires the first and second upgrade. I’ll have this done next week. Two questions, does the second upgrade include the canister hose extension? Please let me know exactly what is involved in the second upgrade. I have heard that the second upgrade would address the gas smell, is this accurate? With my Spyder, after I ride, I park the Spyder out for a while until the strong smell of gas disappears before I bring the Spyder into the garage.

Second question, In order to avoid oil in the air box, a number of owners have installed an oil separatorie. Lamonster (Spyder lovers site). This seems like a good solution and simple approach. Would this change void the warranty?

Thank you,

I'd give him until next Monday. I usually get a response in about a week. He probably has a lot of e-mails to respond to.

Questions
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks. I'm going to cancel my appointment next week until I fully understand the what is involved with the second upgrade. Gas smell is a concern.

docdoru
04-01-2010, 08:16 AM
He probably has a lot of e-mails to respond to.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/crashed-laptop.jpg?t=1270127762

j45p3r
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
The second update does include the hose extension on the charcoal canister. You're dealer will need to order the parts to do the update. I haven't noticed an more fuel smell since I had this done, however, it hasn't been very warm since I had the update done, I usually would only smell fuel on a warm day.

I'm not sure I would cancel the appointment. Your VIN calls for the update so why not just have it done regardless?

wyliec
04-01-2010, 08:23 AM
The second update does include the hose extension on the charcoal canister. You're dealer will need to order the parts to do the update. I haven't noticed an more fuel smell since I had this done, however, it hasn't been very warm since I had the update done, I usually would only smell fuel on a warm day.

I'm not sure I would cancel the appointment. Your VIN calls for the update so why not just have it done regardless?

I'm a little curious about the update based on the VIN. If my 2008 SM5 built in Sept. 2008 didn't fall within the VIN, does that mean the hose extension is already there?

Questions
04-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I asked the dealer about the hose extension and they told me that it was not required. Based on what I know and read I asked then to order the kit regardless. When I go back for the upgrade I want to make sure they understand why the hose extention is needed.

j45p3r
04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
If they read the bulletin for the second update they would clearly see that the kit is part of the update.

j45p3r
04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm a little curious about the update based on the VIN. If my 2008 SM5 built in Sept. 2008 didn't fall within the VIN, does that mean the hose extension is already there?
In theory, the only VINs NOT covered should be 2009s that came out after the update and all 2010s. From what I've seen posted here that doesn't seem to be the case so ... :dontknow:

Questions
04-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Wyliec,

According to the dealer my Spyder requires upgrade one and two. I haven't had any steering problems, but I do have strong gas smell issues after long rides or when riding in traffic. I purposely delayed getting the upgrades, but I think it is time to get then done.

spyryder
04-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Wyliec,

According to the dealer my Spyder requires upgrade one and two. I haven't had any steering problems, but I do have strong gas smell issues after long rides or when riding in traffic. I purposely delayed getting the upgrades, but I think it is time to get then done.
I've only had the 1st recall/update done and fuel smell went away after that. PE# 3550.

LittleJohn
04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
According to my dealer (take that at face value) The second part of the update is the vent can tube rerouting. On my vin, it apparently was only called for if engine troubles were reported AFTER the first update was done. Waitin on parts now, but ridin it until they get here.

Questions
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Got a response from Carlo. The second upgrade does require the installation of the hose extension. Program changes on the second upgrade are related to the ECM and not to the DPS. Second upgrade and hose extension should also resolve fuel smell issues. Carlo, thank you for answering my questions.

dltang
04-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey all
I'm new here and see the name Carlo a lot, who is he?

Hess

Carlo is one fantastic BRP customer service rep. He reads this forum and has been in contact with a lot of members who just can't seem to get things done straight through their dealers. He is an excellent resource and we are very happy to have him on our side.

Questions
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree.

aka1004
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Wyliec,

i had very bad gas fume and dealer has done/try a lot of things.
my extension from evap canister goes all the way to back of the spyder.
that has eliminated most of what was left of my gas fume problem.
i did that about a year ago and brp nor my dealer had a problem with that.
make sure the end of tube is up thou, otherwise there will be siphoning effect.

jgwoods
04-01-2010, 03:13 PM
The changes did not eliminate the gas/exhaust smell from my Spyder, most noticeable on upshifts, but they are less than they used to be- just not gone.

rnet
04-01-2010, 04:52 PM
According to my dealer (take that at face value) The second part of the update is the vent can tube rerouting. On my vin, it apparently was only called for if engine troubles were reported AFTER the first update was done. Waitin on parts now, but ridin it until they get here.Ditto, I was just at my dealer and he put in my vin # and he also told me it didn't need any other updates, but I mentioned that there BRP rep mentioned about the second update last fall so he called BRP tech and they told him, no updates needed, but then I talked to him (BRP) directly and mentioned the surging and the gas smell and at that point his said yes there was an update for that. So apparently there is no update unless you have an issue with this, not everybody does.

SpyderWolf
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Ditto, I was just at my dealer and he put in my vin # and he also told me it didn't need any other updates, but I mentioned that there BRP rep mentioned about the second update last fall so he called BRP tech and they told him, no updates needed, but then I talked to him (BRP) directly and mentioned the surging and the gas smell and at that point his said yes there was an update for that. So apparently there is no update unless you have an issue with this, not everybody does.

If you have surging between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM after the first update, then you definitely need another update. The interesting thing is this one was not actually called an update, but an Engine Optimization Bulletin so you may want to ask them about that. If I recall correctly, it was issued the end of October 2009.

bone crusher
04-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Carlo,

Thank you,

Your updates are done based on the VIN number...no requests necessary...Carlo can only give you the same answer the dealer will give you....they'll plug your VIN in and what they see is what you'll get...

NancysToy
04-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Your updates are done based on the VIN number...no requests necessary...Carlo can only give you the same answer the dealer will give you....they'll plug your VIN in and what they see is what you'll get...
Not true in all cases. Some Service Bulletins, or Campaigns, as BRP calls them, are applied by VIN#, but only if the customer reports he or she is having a related problem. Sometimes additional criteria must be met, like having a certain diagnostic code appear, or a component that fails a certain test. Also, sometimes the computer is wrong. It did not list Nancy's Spyder as being eligible for the parking brake fix, but when I asked to see the written copy of the Service Bulletin, her VIN# was in the range in the written list. The bottom line is that if your Spyder isn't working right, and is under warranty, it is their responsibility to fix it, listed VIN# or not. If you are not having problems, they may or may not do an update, depending on their instructions.

jedd
04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Not true in all cases. Some Service Bulletins, or Campaigns, as BRP calls them, are applied by VIN#, but only if the customer reports he or she is having a related problem. Sometimes additional criteria must be met, like having a certain diagnostic code appear, or a component that fails a certain test. Also, sometimes the computer is wrong. It did not list Nancy's Spyder as being eligible for the parking brake fix, but when I asked to see the written copy of the Service Bulletin, her VIN# was in the range in the written list. The bottom line is that if your Spyder isn't working right, and is under warranty, it is their responsibility to fix it, listed VIN# or not. If you are not having problems, they may or may not do an update, depending on their instructions.:agree:Campaigns need to be read and every situation is different

rnet
04-01-2010, 09:19 PM
If you have surging between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM after the first update, then you definitely need another update. The interesting thing is this one was not actually called an update, but an Engine Optimization Bulletin so you may want to ask them about that. If I recall correctly, it was issued the end of October 2009.It was done less than 10 minutes after I got off the phone. I am waiting for the hose kit.

SpyderWolf
04-01-2010, 10:32 PM
It was done less than 10 minutes after I got off the phone. I am waiting for the hose kit.

Good deal.

bone crusher
04-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Not true in all cases. Some Service Bulletins, or Campaigns, as BRP calls them, are applied by VIN#, but only if the customer reports he or she is having a related problem. Sometimes additional criteria must be met, like having a certain diagnostic code appear, or a component that fails a certain test. Also, sometimes the computer is wrong. It did not list Nancy's Spyder as being eligible for the parking brake fix, but when I asked to see the written copy of the Service Bulletin, her VIN# was in the range in the written list. The bottom line is that if your Spyder isn't working right, and is under warranty, it is their responsibility to fix it, listed VIN# or not. If you are not having problems, they may or may not do an update, depending on their instructions.

Scotty,

In regards to updates 1 and 2 (the big ones around here), they are only performed if the VIN number matches...I only have update one on my bike and I asked if I am going to get update 2. The dealer said 'nope' when they ran my VIN. I asked if I could get it anyway (now I know I am not going to get it as it appears a lot of the problems began after update 2) and they advised against it. Why?? Hmmmmm...

I'm going to assume that for the major updates (not the lil' bulletins and other smaller issues that are posted for all bikes), that BRP knows something that we do not...certain parts used in certain VIN number bikes that need a fix...they are privy to this, we are not! For these fixes, they know exactly who needs them.