PDA

View Full Version : Down shifting from a stop

jabba11
03-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Okay so I know there have been problems with the GPS before but I have a specific instance I find unusual. If I have to suddenly slow down say from 65 to 20 and do not down shift it takes FOREVER for me to get the bike to down shift. I have a SM so I don’t understand why it would do this. I would think it is manually shifted why the inability to get it to shift? It’s like the bike is searching for an rpm speed ratio or something. Does that make sense? Does anyone else get this experience? I don’t get any faults or anything it just won’t shift quickly from like 5th to 2nd without rpms applied.

bjt
03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
If I understand you right, the same thing has happened to me on occasion. I came to a quick stop and hadn't downshifted while stopping. Then, at the stop sign, I sometimes had to hit the shifter two or three times to get it to drop to the next lower gear. The best fix is to downshift as you are slowing instead of trying to downshift three or four gears while stopped. Plus, that keeps you in a gear that you can accelerate from if something happens and you need to accelerate instead of brake (who wants to try giving the Spyder throttle while in fifth gear going 20MPH). I think the multiple gear downshift difficulty while stopped is something that is inherant in the way a sequential transmission shifts.

jabba11
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
yes exactly the "problem". Like I said usually I only do this when I have to come to a sudden stop or just simply forget to downshift for some reason. Its mostly an annoyance but the people behind me occassionally get upset :2thumbs:. None of the bikes I ever owned had this issue that I remember or noticed.

ataDude
03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
yes exactly the "problem". Like I said usually I only do this when I have to come to a sudden stop or just simply forget to downshift for some reason. Its mostly an annoyance but the people behind me occassionally get upset :2thumbs:. None of the bikes I ever owned had this issue that I remember or noticed.

Let the clutch out oh-so-slightly between downshifts from a stop.

bjt
03-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Well maybe it's inherant in the way the Spyder's transmission shifts.... :dontknow: I've only owned one other bike and that was over 20 years ago. I honestly don't remember if I had an issue with that bike's shifting like I had a couple of times the Spyder or not.

boborgera
03-31-2010, 07:39 PM

I would say it's normal.
My SV650 did it My VTX1800 did it And my Spyder doe's it'.
To get it from 5th to 1st at a stand still easier Rev. the engine a little and rock the bike forward and back a little.

PCBeachBum
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
I've had to come down quickly from a higher speed to a lower speed and didn't have a problem, shifting down to a lower gear. Normally I like to see ahead for what the traffic is doing, so I can come down one gear at a time. But, there are those times when I can't and haven't had a problem, getting into a lower gear, from 5th to 2nd gear getting on the brakes and laying off the throttle.

When I was out earlier today and on my way home. I was starting off from a light and missed 2nd, going into 3rd. That was a first for me and it lagged just a bit til, I gave it more power.:D

PCBeachBum
03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Down shifting from a stop, from lets say 4th to 1st, I would let the clutch out just a little and go down to the next gear and do the same for each gear til I got to first.

Sorry about the confusion in the previous post, My fault!:sour:

jabba11
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM
I guess I was just making sure it was normal. I already figured out that releasing the clutch a little aids in the downshifting. Just looking for verification that it is common. Ride on....

Firefly
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
I guess I was just making sure it was normal. I already figured out that releasing the clutch a little aids in the downshifting. Just looking for verification that it is common. Ride on....

Yup-- normal operation---- nothing wrong with your spyder.

retread
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Yup, what he said.:D Been like this almost forever... this type trans needs to be shifted on the fly.

john

3tracs
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM

:agree: I would have this happen from time to time with my '02 V-Star 1100. When my Spyder did it, I'd just let the clutch out a little between downshifts, and it would react. I think it's normal.

Smylinacha
04-01-2010, 07:25 PM

:agree:, along with a blip of the throttle.

BajaRon
04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
All standard transmission motorcycles I've even owned do this. That is because there is no true neutral between gears as there is on an automobile transmission.

The progression on a car transmission is completely different. On a motorcycle you are always in gear (or should be unless there is a problem with your transmission). I believe this is to conserve space, to allow for a simple up/down lever instead of an H pattern, to give quicker shifts and to eliminate missed shifts.

The only place neutral exists on a motorcycle is in-between 1st and 2nd gear. Whereas on a car you shift into neutral between every gear.

The second issue is that torque must be applied to complete the shift. Torque will seat or mesh (not mash) the gears together completely. This process is only started by moving the foot lever. Until torque is applied the transmission is not in a position to easily go to another gear.

The suggestion to let the clutch out slightly between each gear shift (if sitting still) is exactly right. Once the gears mesh properly you can then pull the clutch in and shift down another gear.

When you are moving torque is automatically applied to each shift even if the clutch is not engaged as there is always a certain amount of friction in the clutch basket. This coupled with the fact that the gears are still spinning allows you to shift down as many gears as you want without letting the clutch out in-between each gear.

Firefly
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
All standard transmission motorcycles I've even owned do this. That is because there is no true neutral between gears as there is on an automobile transmission.

The progression on a car transmission is completely different. On a motorcycle you are always in gear (or should be unless there is a problem with your transmission). I believe this is to conserve space, to allow for a simple up/down lever instead of an H pattern, to give quicker shifts and to eliminate missed shifts.

The only place neutral exists on a motorcycle is in-between 1st and 2nd gear. Whereas on a car you shift into neutral between every gear.

The second issue is that torque must be applied to complete the shift. Torque will seat or mesh (not mash) the gears together completely. This process is only started by moving the foot lever. Until torque is applied the transmission is not in a position to easily go to another gear.

The suggestion to let the clutch out slightly between each gear shift (if sitting still) is exactly right. Once the gears mesh properly you can then pull the clutch in and shift down another gear.

When you are moving torque is automatically applied to each shift even if the clutch is not engaged as there is always a certain amount of friction in the clutch basket. This coupled with the fact that the gears are still spinning allows you to shift down as many gears as you want without letting the clutch out in-between each gear.

Yeah---- what HE said.......

I'm also glad bikes don't shift like cars---- not sure I could do the 'H Pattern' with my left foot!:D

jabba11
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Funny that I never noticed it on any of my harleys but then again maybe I just notice it more on the Spyder or something but the neutral explanation makes perfect sense and I should have known it since... I actually KNEW this.. Thanks!

Tom in NM
04-03-2010, 08:44 PM
. . . . my SE5 has reacted the same way, though it has gotten better. The thing that seems to trigger it is a very sudden stop AND the throttle is not turned down fast enough. Besides the short time it takes to get it to shift, the throttle is running the engine pretty fast ( for sitting still ) and almost flooding the engine.

Tom