PDA

View Full Version : Rear Compartment Lock Cylinder

frank3
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
:gaah:Yesterday, I took a short ride and at one stop, locked my rear compartment and while removing the key, the lock cylinder came out of the lock housing HALF WAY. I was able to easily remove the key but the lock cylinder stayed in the lock housing. I was not able to completly reinsert the cylinder or remove it either with or without the key inserted into the cylinder. Because the cyllinder was in the LOCK position when the failure ocured, the compartments are still locked. I called my dealer and explained my problem and told him I would go to a local locksmith to see if the problem could be corrected. The locksmith was not able to fix the problem without damaging the trim work around the lock housing and so I told him not to proceed. I am scheduled to go to the dealer for my 600 mile service on Friday of this week and will let him deal with the cylinder. For the life of me, I can't see a solution short of destroying the plactic around the lock housing. We'll see. I'll keep everyone updated as repairs are attempted or problem is resolved. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the fix?

VaughnCat
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep, my dealer just got all of the parts in to fix the problem. They had to drill out the cylinder in order to get the box open. They will be replacing 3 cylinders (the spare to match the trailer if we buy one) and 2 keys and an electronic unit that matches the new keys. It happened to me exactly as you described. The good news is, the rear box is impossible to get into short of drilling the cylinder or destroying the box. Oh, they will be replacing the rear set of handles also. I was glad that I hadn't just picked up fish for dinner and it was a hot day . . . . could have got a little gamey back there. . . .

Lamonster
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Exact same thing happened to me last Friday. I went to the locksmith and 4 of them worked on it for an hour and a half. Then the owner came over and put some vise grips on the barrel and twisted it up and then out. Then we were able to unlock it with a screwdriver. I'm going to keep everything in the trailer till I get back home and then I'll have the dealer fix it.

frank3
03-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone including Dennis on SpyderTalk. I've printed all of this off and I'm going to let the dealer fix or destroy things on Friday. Should be interesting to watch. I have several item locked in the compartments but nothing I can't do without till Friday. I,m also glad I hadn't just been fishing. I had been using the top rear compartment for my 44 oz. drink padded with towels. I had just removed it to take a drink. Glad it wasn't locked it there. Old diet coke is not very nice. Gets rather FLAT.:roflblack:

VaughnCat
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone including Dennis on SpyderTalk. I,m also glad I hadn't just been fishing. I had been using the top rear compartment for my 44 oz. drink padded with towels. I had just removed it to take a drink. Glad it wasn't locked it there. Old diet coke is not very nice. Gets rather FLAT.:roflblack:

Yeah, well, my wife's purse was locked in the frunk . . . one of the sales guys had to drive us back to our house to get the spare key . . . 130 mile 3 hour round trip.... to their credit, the dealer was waiting for us when we got back at 7PM . . . good people! :thumbup:

MarkLawson
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Frank, take a look at this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16597

This might answer some of your questions. All locks will be replaced. My dealer told me that the first 400 RT's had this lock installed before they found out they needed something better.

Let the dealer handle the repair so they can be the one to fix anything else they might harm if the drill slips while drilling the lock.

Good luck.

Lamonster
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Like I said, no need to drill anything, take a pair of vise grips and give it a twist, it will pull right out then. nojoke

Bootie
05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Exact same thing happened to me last Friday. I went to the locksmith and 4 of them worked on it for an hour and a half. Then the owner came over and put some vise grips on the barrel and twisted it up and then out. Then we were able to unlock it with a screwdriver. I'm going to keep everything in the trailer till I get back home and then I'll have the dealer fix it.
Hey Lamont, I am sad:( that this happened to you but I am happy:D that I am not alone. The locksmith still has mine (4 days) I told them to go ahead and destroy the core and I will get a new one from BRP.:sour:

Bootie
05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey Lamont, I am sad:( that this happened to you but I am happy:D that I am not alone. The locksmith still has mine (4 days) I told them to go ahead and destroy the core and I will get a new one from BRP.:sour:
I went to the locksmith this pm and he had gotten the tumblers our of the core but was still working on getting the core out. I told him about the Lamonster-Fix. He tried it and now I have my trailer back with no lock. I'll have to get a new one from BRP but the locksmith says I don't need 3 cores because they can replace the tumblers with those from my original lock and my existing key will fit (so he says). We'll see.

IWN2RYD
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Wow... This happened to us as well!! Our RT-S is waiting for the new tumblers and keys... I felt so bad when it happened... My Dealer said they had never seen that before!! They had four guys work on it to get me down the road. Come to think of it, I need to order them a few pizzas for all their work :2thumbs:

Bootie
05-25-2010, 11:48 PM
The Lamonster-fix works very well and can be done at home, once you know what the problem is. Simply grab the core with a pair of vicegrips, give it a quarter turn and pull the core out. My locksmith has the tumblers from my original core and will put them in the new core when it comes in. I went to the Dealer today and tried to order just 1 core. Oh..Oh..no can do.:dontknow: I have to order 3-cores plus a new key because that's the way that the warranty is written.:gaah: So, I'll get the three cores, have the locksmith take one apart and install my tumblers. That way I will have 2 extra cores and the associated key. I am not sure that this will be covered under warranty since I am having the work done by a locksmith. But I'll try though.

Bootie
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Wow... This happened to us as well!! Our RT-S is waiting for the new tumblers and keys... I felt so bad when it happened... My Dealer said they had never seen that before!! They had four guys work on it to get me down the road. Come to think of it, I need to order them a few pizzas for all their work :2thumbs:
Just use the Lamonster-fix and send one of the pizzas to him and maybe one to me.:thumbup: They should have known about this problem. Probably not the Lamonster-fix, though.

Bootie
06-03-2010, 12:09 PM
:gaah:Yesterday, I took a short ride and at one stop, locked my rear compartment and while removing the key, the lock cylinder came out of the lock housing HALF WAY. I was able to easily remove the key but the lock cylinder stayed in the lock housing. I was not able to completly reinsert the cylinder or remove it either with or without the key inserted into the cylinder. Because the cyllinder was in the LOCK position when the failure ocured, the compartments are still locked. I called my dealer and explained my problem and told him I would go to a local locksmith to see if the problem could be corrected. The locksmith was not able to fix the problem without damaging the trim work around the lock housing and so I told him not to proceed. I am scheduled to go to the dealer for my 600 mile service on Friday of this week and will let him deal with the cylinder. For the life of me, I can't see a solution short of destroying the plactic around the lock housing. We'll see. I'll keep everyone updated as repairs are attempted or problem is resolved. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the fix?

This same problem happened to a number of us. I resolved it as follows...
1) Using some Vice Grips twist the core 1/4 turn to the left and it will come right out. :thumbup:The retaining tumbler will be sheared off. This was Lamonster's suggestion and it works well.:thumbup:
2)Order ONE new core. BRP will try to send you 3 but you only need 1.:gaah:You don't need the keys, either, but they will send them anyway.
3)Take both cylinders to your friendly locksmith. They can replace the tumblers in the new core with the tumblers from your old core and re-insert the core into it's proper place (be certain to heed the instructions and get a "snap" before you lock the cover). BTW Keep the covers OPEN when you are doing this.:lecturef_smilie:

This way you can use your original key and you don't have to re-program the security system. I did this and the locksmith charged me $25.:2thumbs: It might not be worth trying to get warranty coverage although BRP is libel.

Lamonster
06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
:thumbup:

Mr.B
04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a trailer but never installed the lock (it was in storage). Now I want to intall it for a trip in two weeks but I'm concerned based on this thread. Is there a new lock or recall? I hate to try mine and then have the problems described by all of you.

:helpsmilie:

NancysToy
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I believe there is a Service Bulletin on this. Proper installation is tricky. I'd have your dealer look up the Service Bulletin, or look in the Shop Manual, then install it carefully.

clueless
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
also BRP has a process (obviously not told to public) on how to open your trunk when this happens. so take to dealer have them CALL BRP first before messing with the issue.