PDA

View Full Version : Well I could not make it home with that pulley

aka1004
03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I was on my way home from la and belt/gave out on freeway. Belt is all chewed up. EnginE is on tranny engages but no forward movement.
Where is this AAA truck...

docdoru
03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
:( I wonder why...:dontknow:

DynamoBT
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Hopefully you get help soon. And can get home soon too.

Longlegs
03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
That sucks. Do you have a dealer located to fix it? I can't remember how far you are from home.

bjt
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Is it the belt that gave out or the pulley? :( Either one is bad but I'd rather replace a belt than the pulley.

aka1004
03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I took a closer look and bolt is turning but pulley is not. I also see belt has melted plastic looking pieces hang on it.

bjt
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
So both are bad.... That really stinks. Hopefully you have a good dealership to work with.

SpyderWolf
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Wow, that truly stinks. I hope they are able to get you fixed up, and back on the road, quickly. Best of luck.

fastfraser
03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your trouble ! What year and model do you have and how many miles ?

aka1004
03-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your trouble ! What year and model do you have and how many miles ?

09 se5 with 31600

krb1945
03-31-2010, 06:53 AM
service bulletin and the updated bolt torque setting?

One would think this bolt would be on every 12000 mile service to be torqued. Heating, cooling and vibration will loosen any bolt or fastener no matter how good the scotch grip or locktite. //Ken

boborgera
03-31-2010, 06:55 AM
service bulletin and the updated bolt torque setting?

One would think this bolt would be on every 12000 mile service to be torqued. Heating, cooling and vibration will loosen any bolt or fastener no matter how good the scotch grip or locktite. //Ken

Or Duct tape.:joke:

boborgera
03-31-2010, 07:44 AM
:( I wonder why...:dontknow:

Don't know much about belts, This is the first bike ive had with a belt.
I do know if you tighten a chain too tight they can and sometimes do snap.
If I'm not mistaken a belt is much stronger than a chain so something has to give if the belt is too tight. Every Spyder I've seen on a showroom floor seems [to me] to have the belt way too tight. :dontknow:

krb1945
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
ago that there was too much tension on these drive assemblies when received from the dealers. When aligning my belts "off" the inner lip of the rear sprocket I also reduced the belt tension to the range of 220 to 260. When you get right down to the nuts and bolts of this system 260 is still quite a bit of tension. I tried lowering it to the 180-220 range but found a lot of vibration on the testing so I increased it back to the 220 to 260 range. At that range it is smooth as silk. /Ken

Lamonster
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
ago that there was too much tension on these drive assemblies when received from the dealers. When aligning my belts "off" the inner lip of the rear sprocket I also reduced the belt tension to the range of 220 to 260. When you get right down to the nuts and bolts of this system 260 is still quite a bit of tension. I tried lowering it to the 180-220 range but found a lot of vibration on the testing so I increased it back to the 220 to 260 range. At that range it is smooth as silk. /Ken
220-240 seems to work just fine for me, very little vibration and there is no way you're going to skip a tooth with that much belt wrap.

JkRbbt
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Been following Spyder sites for several months now. I guess this is one BIG question I have. When you have a roadside problem as described here, you can call AAA and take it WHERE?? With a H/D or Honda or... you can find dealers, or at least mechs familiar with your bike, most places. Who services or is familiar with BRP products? Am I gonna be stranded a LOOOONG way from home! FedEx ain't cheap!! :yikes: I appreciate your input! Thanx!

Loren

boborgera
03-31-2010, 11:31 AM
AAA gave me a lot of run around with towing. I hope brp does not...
I have aaa premier with 200 mile tow but was not told it's only 100 miles for rv and motorcycle. I was still 150 miles out but aaa driver gave me an idea to go 100 miles with him to ca/nv stateline and call aaa again for another tow. He said aaa from ca can not go into nv anyway. So i called for 2nd tow, after talking to few different people with different excuses(thus area is served by northern cal aaa and they don't have the equipment to tow motorcycle, Nevada aaa does not tow motorcycle than I was handed over to aaa insurance claims for whatever the reason, etc) they finally agreed to tow the spyder to las Vegas.

I have foremost insurance with free towing, Plus AMA W/towing Never had to use either :pray: But they both specialize in towing motorcycles.
I also have AAA Plus. I Would use them for my car/truck.
Many years ago when my car needed a tow AAA wanted to tow my car there shop,
I gave the driver a few extra bucks and he towed me home.

aka1004
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Been following Spyder sites for several months now. I guess this is one BIG question I have. When you have a roadside problem as described here, you can call AAA and take it WHERE?? With a H/D or Honda or... you can find dealers, or at least mechs familiar with your bike, most places. Who services or is familiar with BRP products? Am I gonna be stranded a LOOOONG way from home! FedEx ain't cheap!! :yikes: I appreciate your input! Thanx!

Loren

this is my 3rd time being stranded on my spyder and the furthest, 150 miles and yes you do have to take spyder to a spyder dealer.
i guess i am lucky to live in right part of country where there are plenty Spyder dealership around but would be better if it does not happen...
if i am stranded on a long distance trip in some remote area with no celphone signal...

anyway spyder is in the shop, same problem with pulley as other's plus when pulley snapped out of it's place, it chewed up the belt and gps. waiting to hear from dealer when parts can get here and if brp is denying coverage under warranty.

asmdjackal
03-31-2010, 03:23 PM
I took a closer look and bolt is turning but pulley is not. I also see belt has melted plastic looking pieces hang on it.

If the pulley is shot.. you might try one of the MMG 30 tooth front pulleys. Lower your highway RPMS a bit...

3Ryder
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM

What procedure is followed to adjust the tension and what tools are necessary?

krb1945
04-01-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17513&highlight=belt+adjustment

Also check the links that Lamonster placed in his posts on the thread above. He gives very good information as to what type of tension guage and where to get it. Also tells how to do the adjustment and Groundeffect posted some very high quality pictures of what it should not look like after adjustment.:lecturef_smilie:

If you need additional assistance on this project... you might search "drive belt adjustment" and if you need more assistance place another post here. /Ken