PDA

View Full Version : Backrest install

KNIGHTRIDER
03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I got my Utopia backrest at 3pm today and was on the road by 4pm. The instructions are very clear and other than putting my seat back in place, it was a piece of cake.

I'm very impressed with the quality of workmanship and the overall looks of the backrest. It actually makes the RT look like a real touring bike now.(With my Kewlmetal Hiways pegs)

One note on taking the seat out- just pull the aft part of the seat forward and you will be able to see (and take out) the 2 bolts. Much easier than trying to reach under the seat to take them out. The nuts are contained in a channel so they will not turn but will slide out after the bolt is removed.

Thanks again to Utopia for stepping up and getting a backrest for us old guys.

syclemom
04-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes bolts easier to remove from top but if drop bolt or nuts they disappear to never never land, awesoime backrest , wife loves it.

jeuchler
04-02-2010, 07:12 AM
I got my Utopia backrest at 3pm today and was on the road by 4pm. ...

Photos, please, knightrider...:dontknow:

MarkLawson
04-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Photos, please, knightrider...:dontknow:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=599&pictureid=8355

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=599&pictureid=8354

SpyderGirl
04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
SWEET! :2thumbs:

lawrenc454
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Got the backrest installed without a lot of trouble. I reinstalled the seat bolts and nuts at the back and the seat latch post dropped right into the hole. At that point I reattached the hydraulic seat post and now the seat sits too far forward to close properly.

I tried tightening and loosening the rear bolts but can't seem to find the right combination. I also tried putting the hydaulic unit on then tightening the bolts at the back but just can't seem to find the right combination.:yikes:

If anyone has an idea on a way to mediate this let me know.:2thumbs:

Thanks and enjoy the holiday weekend.

Lonnie

KNIGHTRIDER
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I had the same problem. I found I had to loosen the bolts, the lift up a little at the rear of seat and it would move back where it should be. I then closed the seat and tightened the bolts. Now it works like it should.
Jack

MarkLawson
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Jack's advise is good. Close the seat, allowing the front latch to properly align it & then tighten the rear bolts. Also, make sure you have the steel sleeves in place on those rear bolts. The first time I re-installed the saddle, I forgot those & then nothing worked right...

jeuchler
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=599&pictureid=8355

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=599&pictureid=8354

Wow.

That is a n i c e match! :thumbup:

lawrenc454
04-03-2010, 11:01 AM
It appears I was missing the right combo. Thanks friends. Lonnie

Trap
04-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks good on the RT, where did you get it from?:dontknow:

Vordak
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html

Check it out there, you can order it online.

V.

Ronsam
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
It 's looking very good , I will have my this week

Thanks for the photo:2thumbs:

bruceofthebronx
05-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Jack's advise is good. Close the seat, allowing the front latch to properly align it & then tighten the rear bolts. Also, make sure you have the steel sleeves in place on those rear bolts. The first time I re-installed the saddle, I forgot those & then nothing worked right...
Hello. I saw your 09 on the 'Utopia" site, was it difficult to install? Hope to meet you on the road sometime?

Be well,
Bruce

MarkLawson
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Hello. I saw your 09 on the 'Utopia" site, was it difficult to install? Hope to meet you on the road sometime?

Be well,
Bruce

It was easy to install, but I found the toughest part was re-stapling the seat cover back down (you only remove the passenger section of the cover). The seat pan is a very tough & hard plastic that my stapler wouldn't penetrate. Also, the molded-in hinge part in the rear made it even more difficult to staple in far enough where they weren't obvious to the casual observer. I ended up sending it to Utopia & they stapled it for me. Looks right now.

You might consider having an auto upholsterer staple it for you with their better equipment.

murphybrown
05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Looks like the best deal for this old geezerettes back...hopefully Utopia will get to me before the long ride. Also any Spyder shoppers in IL area?...highly recommend the Dockside Marina dealership in Wilmington, IL.. (Terry owner). Easy to DEAL (hear deal) with. Everyone have a great day being kind to yourself and your Spyder!!! Actually for me they gave me such a wonderful deal that I will ride that "bug" from there to home. And still be ahead PLUS the joy of the ride...:2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
WHAT is the sensor under the seat for????????????????????:helpsmilie:

To sense if there is a passenger in the seat and adjust the VSS accordingly (I believe).

NancysToy
05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
To sense if there is a passenger in the seat and adjust the VSS accordingly (I believe).
It actually adjusts the braking bias as well.

SpyderGirl
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Holy S@#T!!! I got to apologize to the wife----------told her it monitored if the passenger was tooooo heavy!!!!!!!!:yikes:

Not cool... :lecturef_smilie:

bruceofthebronx
05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
It was easy to install, but I found the toughest part was re-stapling the seat cover back down (you only remove the passenger section of the cover). The seat pan is a very tough & hard plastic that my stapler wouldn't penetrate. Also, the molded-in hinge part in the rear made it even more difficult to staple in far enough where they weren't obvious to the casual observer. I ended up sending it to Utopia & they stapled it for me. Looks right now.

You might consider having an auto upholsterer staple it for you with their better equipment.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Be well,
Bruce

MarkLawson
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
...I was baffled for awhile on that T bar!!!!

The 'T' on the T-bar helps stabilize the side to side motion. Bob & I discussed that quite a bit & he decided to add that piece rather than just the 'I' part of the 'T' alone. I think it was a good choice.

Hope you enjoy it.

retired1
05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Will both travel covers work with the backrest instsalled? From the pictures it loks like it will fold down; does it?:popcorn:

MarkLawson
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Will both travel covers work with the backrest instsalled? From the pictures it loks like it will fold down; does it?:popcorn:

Yes & yes. The backrest will fold forward until it is flat. The travel cover will work with it. I have a travel cover & have put it on. Don't recall if I had to fold the backrest forward or not...

InspectorGadget
05-20-2010, 06:53 AM
I received and installed my Utopia backrest last night. It took about 1 hr. start to finish. The hardest thing about the install was getting the seat bolts back in and tightened. I took the advise of some of the others and after getting the bolts in tightened them from the top.
I love the way the backrest looks, and the workmanship is excellent. There is plenty of adjustment and after this mornings ride to work I'd say this is a winner.
Thanks to all who shared their experiences. I would reccomend this mod to anyone who loves to sit in a lazyboy http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
C-YA RL

MangoMike
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Nice job RL, mine is being made on the 24th so I should have it next week. Hope to have my bike back from the dealer tomorrow. They are waiting for parts to fix the stalling and a replacement part for the CB. I sure miss riding.

Mike

Jornie1
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Just got off the phone with Linda @ Utopia and ours are in the production pipeline.. If my RT ever makes it out of the shop, I'll be puttin' ours on with a smile!! Thanks so much for the info and the excellent testimonial.. Made my day!!:2thumbs: Len

Moser Sac
05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Is the seat back mounted permanently or does it come off for two up riding?

CSX4350
05-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I've got mine ordered, due to be shipped the end of this month. I had the same backrest on my GoldWing and it was fantastic.

One bolt will remove it, or for a small option price you can get a quick disconnect kit from Utopia. You don't really need to remove it for two up though, it's not really in the way at least it wasn't on my Wing.

InspectorGadget
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM
It will come off if you use a removable pin instead of the bolt provided.
The backrest does fold forward for easier passenger mounting.
See post 27 for photos.
C-YA RL

MarkLawson
05-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Utopia offers a UTOPIA Driver Backrest Quick Out Option that allows the backrest to be easily removed. It costs an extra $65.

https://www.utpr.com/moreitems.html