PDA

View Full Version : New rider with questions

2manycars
03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Hello all,

I always am glad to see a forum with experienced riders to answer questions from the "new people."I have been an avid maxi-scooter rider for some time (Burgman 650, Honda Silverwing ) and so on. I have always loved the looks of the Spyder and after riding one I was hooked. I guess the touring model would have better suited me, but for the 7-8 thousand more it cost I bought the RS, with the idea that there were options that I could add that would be less than 1K or so.

What I need advice on is an adjustable windscreen-ideally since I am getting the wind right in the center of my helmet and your advice on being able to sit more upright.

U hate the idea of cutting the handlebars to add some of the large risers, and wondered if anyone has tried the Manufacturers add -on. I am hoping that additional inch or two up and back may be all I need. I am 5'11 and the lean in os not bad, but I do prefer to sit more upright.

I guess Id also like something a little more to rest my feet on than the "pegs." If that exists.

Any advice and suggestions (other than go back to the HOnda Scooter) would be appreciated.

Thanks

rnet
03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
welcome There's a lot of material on here about risers, just use the search feature. Most people though have the ones where you cut the handlebars, it's not hard at all. If you go to the mod section you probably find instructions also. ESI risers and ISCI floorboards will get you positioned properly.

8LEGS
03-28-2010, 11:01 PM
welcome

PCBeachBum
03-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Hello all,

I always am glad to see a forum with experienced riders to answer questions from the "new people."I have been an avid maxi-scooter rider for some time (Burgman 650, Honda Silverwing ) and so on. I have always loved the looks of the Spyder and after riding one I was hooked. I guess the touring model would have better suited me, but for the 7-8 thousand more it cost I bought the RS, with the idea that there were options that I could add that would be less than 1K or so.

What I need advice on is an adjustable windscreen-ideally since I am getting the wind right in the center of my helmet and your advice on being able to sit more upright.

U hate the idea of cutting the handlebars to add some of the large risers, and wondered if anyone has tried the Manufacturers add -on. I am hoping that additional inch or two up and back may be all I need. I am 5'11 and the lean in os not bad, but I do prefer to sit more upright.

I guess Id also like something a little more to rest my feet on than the "pegs." If that exists.

Any advice and suggestions (other than go back to the HOnda Scooter) would be appreciated.

Thanks

:congrats: and welcome

I have the 1" riser and it doesn't help much. I'm still leaning forward and I'm 6'4". Come this payday, I'm ordering the 3" risers from ESI and watching a video of installing the 4" risers, cutting the bars is no big deal, with a pipe cutter.

My cables are also tight, so will have to remove the panels on each side to cut the band holding the cables, so I can extend them out enough. Again, not a big deal and being a very old backyard mechanic, it's about time to see whats under those panels and get my hands dirty. Who knows maybe I'll learn something. I always did before and looking forward to a more comfortable ride.

I've had my :spyder:for a year now and have lived with pain for more than 30 years. But what's a little pain when having fun?

Many here have spent thousands to mod there GS/RS. I plan on doing more but first thing is to be comfortable and be able to sit upright. Next will be a little bigger chad. I'm getting tired of my face being sandblasted, everytime it gets windy here after a storm. Than a Comfort Seat and to wake the neighbors and let them know I'm around, a Two Brother's single can exhaust.:D After that, who knows? I sure don't.:dontknow:

boborgera
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
:congrats: and welcome

My cables are also tight, so will have to remove the panels on each side to cut the band holding the cables, so I can extend them out enough. Again, not a big deal and being a very old backyard mechanic, it's about time to see whats under those panels and get my hands dirty. Who knows maybe I'll learn something. I always did before and looking forward to a more comfortable ride.

.:dontknow:

:thumbup:
The only hard part is getting the grips off in one piece. The rest is easy.
There are a few ways to remove them, I slid a narrow screwdriver under the grips to break them loose they came off in one piece so i reused them.
Just be careful of the throttle side [plastic parts]

Barbwire
03-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I had the ones where you cut the bars and ended up buying new bars because the angle killed my wrist. I ended up going to the Heli 4" Risers which I loved. I also went to the aftermarket BRP Seat it helped a lot for positioning and comfort. I may have the Heli Risers for sale since I just traded my RS for an RT if you might be interested just send me a Private Message.

SpyderGirl
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Well, as I am sure you have read already there are many options. On the windshield part you can go with the CHAD (http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_windshields.htm) which is an adjustable windscreen that will work fine for your height. There is also Madstad (http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.493/.f) which has the robobrackets that also allow you to have an adjustable windshield.

As for the handlebars, if you don't want to cut you could go with the Kewlmetal risers (http://www.kewlmetal.com/adjustable-risers-for-the-can-am-spyder/)or the Helibars (http://www.helibars.com/product/optional-power-mount-can-am-spyder). The Kewmetal risers allow the maximum amount of rise but does not retain the stock look. The Helibars will give you a good amount of rise and keep it pretty stock looking.

As for the pegs, you could get floorboards from ISCI (http://www.industrialspecialty.com/ISCI%20-%20Spyder%20Parts.htm).

welcome and happy Spydering! (and modding!)

fastfraser
03-29-2010, 03:03 PM
welcome:congrats::spyder2: On.

Sarge707
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
If your thrifty(Like Me:roflblack: ) you can get the Spyder City Billet risers 2 3/8 " for $100 and 3" for $120 and put them on yourself and KEEP the stock look?:dontknow:

ARtraveler
03-29-2010, 03:31 PM
RE: Windscreen--the stock one does allow a lot of air to get in your face. I went to the bigger BRP touring windscreen on both of our RS bikes for awhile. They proved to be very good for both spouse and I. We ended up with Corbin Fleetliner fairings for looks--but the wind protection was not any better.

RISERS: I am short--so I found I needed 3" risers to be comfortable. I got mine before there were any aftermarket versions--my dealer made some for both his and my bikes. They worked great for me as I could sit upright. Spouse who is almost 6 feet, is fine with the stock BRP 1-1/2 risers.

You did not say anything about seating--but I recommend the comfort seat from BRP if you want to keep the cost down. If you want more plush, see Corbin seats.

Hope this information helps you on your comfort mods.

Firefly
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello all,

Thanks

welcome

Good questions.

I would recommend riding for awhile before making any changes--- and then prioritize what you want to do.

I wouldn't bother with the 1" BRP riser----- barely does squat. You could go with the 3" Spyder City risers -- but they are not adjustable. I would spend a bit more and go with the ESI or Kewlmetal adjustable units.

I wouldn't even try to save the stock grips-- cut em' off and go with something new--- they're only worth $10.

Once you are sitting more straight up, the wind buffeting will be more pronounced... so you'll need to do something about the screen.

CHAD is really popular and I love mine. The new Madstad unit is also getting pretty good reviews.

Pegs, floorboards, etc. can be done with varying prices. The ISCI units are pretty much the best of the best-- but not cheap.

There are other options that look darn good too:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15286&highlight=floorboards

If you want to spend around a grand and get some extra comfort--- you can't go to wrong with a CHAD, ESI risers and the sfb racing floorboards.:thumbup:

Here's some links for ya.....

http://esicycleproducts.com/

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/index.php

http://www.rtsales.org/eshopitems_cat_4863-49801-51067.FLOOR_BOARDS.htm

http://www.industrialspecialty.com/ISCI%20-%20Spyder%20Parts.htm#brakelevers

http://www.sfbracing.net/

Frig
03-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Welcome. I also came to the Spyder by way of Burgman 650. I'm looking for risers and thinking about Kewlmetal adjustable risers. I also put on a Chad windshield for the cooler months. I'll be going back to stock in a week or so. Good luck and enjoy the ryde.

bjt
03-29-2010, 05:36 PM
I rode with the BRP 1" riser for about a year but eventually got the ESI risers and immediatly noticed a huge improvement in comfort and steering effort. To me, the 1" BRP riser was little to no improvement over the stock setup.

Smylinacha
03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I agree w/ BJT, that 1 inch BRP riser sure didn't do much and once I put the ESI risers on, HUGE difference.:2thumbs:

COOLMACHINE
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Glad you got one! I love mine. :)
Now here's the big secret when ordering Spyder accessories........ Buy From Our Vendors here at Spyderlovers.com! They are dynamite sponsors and that's the truth!
Keep it on 3 wheels! Jerry

Fun2
03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Cut the handle bars, the ESI ones work great, easy to install, at least thats what the kid said. Comfort seat also works great. One more item is ESI's lights fantastic, better to se you and at night betterto see them.

PCBeachBum
03-30-2010, 04:28 AM
:thumbup:
The only hard part is getting the grips off in one piece. The rest is easy.
There are a few ways to remove them, I slid a narrow screwdriver under the grips to break them loose they came off in one piece so i reused them.
Just be careful of the throttle side [plastic parts]

Thanks for the tip and advice about the plastic parts.:thumbup:
The video I saw the guy didn't start recording til he already had the grips off. I can only think, that there was a lot of :cus: during that process.:roflblack: