PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen in tires

glynnk
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Talking to a couple of Harley trike riders yesterday and they mentioned they both use nitrogen in their tires and they've noticed better gas mileage and better handling. Any Spyder ryders using nitrogen and having the same results?

Glynnk

NancysToy
03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Air is already 78% nitrogen, so I suspect most of the difference is in the user's head, like brand of gas, the noisiest muffler, or what kind of polish you use. Sorry to open the can of worms, but tiny changes usually show very few real life results. JMHO

Mister
03-28-2010, 11:29 AM
When I replaced the tires on my car the shop used nitrogen. Can't feel any difference at all. Not going to worry about going back to the shop for fills. Gonna use good old (free) air.

To me nitrogen falls in the same category as snake oil, smoke and mirrors.

Please note that my advice is worth exactly what you pay for it...

Cheers

BLACK WIDOW
03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Talking to a couple of Harley trike riders yesterday and they mentioned they both use nitrogen in their tires and they've noticed better gas mileage and better handling. Any Spyder ryders using nitrogen and having the same results?

Glynnk

Yes, I put it in mine just to see if a difference and I can tell none. It may be more stable during temperature changes, but I think at best, would be only a minor improvement. :doorag:

3tracs
03-28-2010, 11:51 AM
I have nitrogen in my Spyder's tires, (and all my other vehicles too), and the biggest advantage is that they all maintain their pressure much better then plain air. I would have to refill my Wrangler's tires every couple of weeks it seemed, now,hardly at all.

Since I put the nitrogen in the Spyder last August, it's maintained it's pressure... something my V-Star could never do. And I don't have to stop all the time to refill with air!

Handling wise; there seems to be no difference then running a tire with good air pressure.

For what it's worth, I like it. :thumbup:

Harry

Prense01
03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Filling with nitrogen reduces the water and oxygen content in the tires. Pressure retention is better. It also helps to reduce the volatility of a tire on an aircraft if it explodes due to a hot brake since there is less oxygen in the tire. Additionally, tires running on nitrogen vs oxygen should not heat up as much. Race cars (NASCAR particularly) use nitrogen due to it being more predictable for tire pressure changes during environmental changes.

I have heard that it can improve handling and fuel efficiency, but I believe that is only related to making it easier to maintain a specific tire pressure.

Chris

ThreeWheels
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Glynnk

Not this again :D

YES, they use Nitrogen in the tires for the space shuttle. YES, they put nitrogen in Nascar race cars.

There are some very small advantages in using nitrogen in your tires, but since plain old air is mostly nitrogen already, you won't see any real world differences unless you are on the very edge of the performance envelope, such as aeronautics or racing.

In my opinion, if you can get the nitrogen for free, go for it. If you have to pay, even a small amount, send me the money instead. At least one of us will get some advantage.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

Jester
03-28-2010, 08:38 PM
You are correct that the atmosphere is approximately 80% nitrogen. The logic of using 100% Nitrogen is based on the fact that Nitrogen molecules are slightly larger than oxygen molecules and will therefore leak down at a significantly slower rate.:2thumbs:

babyanlee
03-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Several people in the Tampa area have gotten nitrogen (including me) in their tires. I only had around 1000 Mi when I had it done - I am at 13300+ miles and my tires still look pretty good, so I still have orginial factory tires on bike.
I would do it again. This august will make 2 years with my spydie and I have no complaints about my tire wear. Of course I don't beat on my tires (burnouts etc) ever so maybe that helps, but I do ride every day.:2thumbs:

docdoru
03-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Several people in the Tampa area have gotten nitrogen (including me) in their tires. I only had around 1000 Mi when I had it done - I am at 13300+ miles and my tires still look pretty good, so I still have orginial factory tires on bike.
I would do it again. This august will make 2 years with my spydie and I have no complaints about my tire wear. Of course I don't beat on my tires (burnouts etc) ever so maybe that helps, but I do ride every day.:2thumbs:
:agree: low temperature change, no pressure fluctuation, no moisture. :doorag:

Dukester
03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
The only thing Nitrogen does, is it stays in the tire a lot longer then air and will keep your tire pressure the same for longer period of time. I use it because I work for a company that help develop this technology and we get it done for us. I like it.

glynnk
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
As difficult as it is to put air in the rear tire let alone checking the pressure, putting nitrogen in the rear might make sense.

Glynnk

3tracs
03-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Did your V-Star have tube tires? Tube tires will not hold pressure the same as a tubeless configuration.....

Yes it did, spoke wheels with tubes. I didn't realize that the tubes were my problem, thanks for letting me know HDXBones! :)

Harry

scudrunner
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
100% nitrogen displaces the oxygen in the tire, therefore no oxidation will occur. In other words, your tires won't rust! :D

Sopher
03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I put Nitrogen in my tires in all my vehicles. Even my 6yr olds' bicycle.

I use the 78% Nitrogen kind.

:roflblack::roflblack:

strats
03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
100% nitrogen displaces the oxygen in the tire, therefore no oxidation will occur. In other words, your tires won't rust! :D

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Sarge707
03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
I,ll bet The "Seat of the Pants Accelleration" is Mu:roflblack:ch better with Nitrogen! :yikes:

scudrunner
03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
I've been thinking about putting helium in my tires to lighten it up and increase the gas mileage. And you sound funny when you breathe it! :D

Prense01
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking about putting helium in my tires to lighten it up and increase the gas mileage. And you sound funny when you breathe it! :D

Try some propane. :coffee:

j/k

Chris

michbiker1
01-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Glynnk

I use nitrogen in my RT. I have used it in several motorcycles and have improved my fuel millage in every case, except the RT. I like my RT, but the fuel millage has always been terrible in relation to my other motorcycles, of witch I have owned many different ones. The last one was a Goldwing which went from 40 mpg to 43 when I started using Nitrogen.

NancysToy
01-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I use nitrogen in my RT. I have used it in several motorcycles and have improved my fuel millage in every case, except the RT. I like my RT, but the fuel millage has always been terrible in relation to my other motorcycles, of witch I have owned many different ones. The last one was a Goldwing which went from 40 mpg to 43 when I started using Nitrogen.
The Spyder isn't a motorcycle, so the mileage will be different. It has more frontal area and poorer aerodynamics than a Goldwing, plus three tires on the ground, and wide ones at that. It doesn't do badly for mileage, all things considered.

BikerDoc
01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
To get the true benefits of Nitrogen, you really need to order my Snake Oil Nitrogen.. I can give you my paypal account for you to send $$$$

boborgera
01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
The major benefit of Nitrogen is the Cool green fluorescent stem caps, That alone is worth the price of amisson.:roflblack:

thehawk
01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
The major benefit of Nitrogen is the Cool green fluorescent stem caps, That alone is worth the price of amisson.:roflblack:

Aha ... something else to attract the unwashed, non-Spydering masses ... green, fluorescent valve stem caps:ohyea:

thehawk

JCSMOKE
01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I want regular air in mine, just in case like the movies the bad guys run me into a river or lake I have air to breath until they get sick of shooting into the water. This would allow me to get away and put together a plan to get the bad guys. This plan would be ill-advised, defy gravity, physics, and good sence. The plan would work out for me in the end though and I would walk away from a building that explodes just as I get out of range. Oh sorry folks, I'm on vacation and letting my mind wander.

Chazzman
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Filling with nitrogen reduces the water and oxygen content in the tires. Pressure retention is better. It also helps to reduce the volatility of a tire on an aircraft if it explodes due to a hot brake since there is less oxygen in the tire. Additionally, tires running on nitrogen vs oxygen should not heat up as much. Race cars (NASCAR particularly) use nitrogen due to it being more predictable for tire pressure changes during environmental changes.

I have heard that it can improve handling and fuel efficiency, but I believe that is only related to making it easier to maintain a specific tire pressure.

Chris

+ 1 :thumbup: I started with the regular nitrogen about 97%, I went ahead and upgraded to the mid grade 98%, but I really like the premium treatment of 99.7% and only twice the cost.

thehawk
01-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Oh, how funny :roflblack: !!!

Tnx,

thehawk

Bob Denman
01-26-2012, 07:57 AM
+ 1 :thumbup: I started with the regular nitrogen about 97%, I went ahead and upgraded to the mid grade 98%, but I really like the premium treatment of 99.7% and only twice the cost.

Did it reduce engine knocking too when you switched to premium?:roflblack:
:thumbup:

kman
01-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Did it reduce engine knocking too when you switched to premium?:roflblack:
:thumbup:

No but it eliminates brake noise!:yes:

Bob Denman
01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Good enough for me then!! :cheers: :thumbup::roflblack:

Boyd2010RT
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Shakespeare said it best - "Much Ado About Nothing"

Chazzman
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Good enough for me then!! :cheers: :thumbup::roflblack:

I really enjoy the sence of humor on this forum... Some other forums that I have belonged to are just too serious.

:yes:

Bob Denman
01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
You can ask anybody here: I'm as serious as a IRS audit right after root canal work! :shocked: :roflblack:
If we can't laugh just a little bit at ourselves and help somebody else out at the same time; then why get up in the morning??

ridesilver2009
01-27-2012, 10:27 AM

I get 38 to 44 mpg on a Goldwing 1800, 2 up, pulling a Bushtec with good ole air and correct pressure(max). Might be your lower fuel mileage was a result of low or inconsistent air pressure, not air vs. nitrogen. Just my opinion.
Dunflops on Goldwings, must be checked frequently, as well as Bridgestones, and at changing altitudes for the long distance travellers
I check my Spyder air pressure before EVERY outing. It is amazing what air temp variation can do to tire pressures.
I agree nitrogen is less time consuming for the operator, but no performance difference if correct pressure is maintained. Drove race cars for 17 years..Tire pressures are more critical than air or nitrogen....
My $.02