PDA

View Full Version : Oh Deer! That was close!

vtrider
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM
First, Who prayed for me early this morning? I want to thank them! I was on my way to work about 3:00am this morning to get in some overtime hours. The road that I travel is a twisty country road with lots of wooded areas next to the road. I was going about 40 mph on the spyder and suddenly, about six to seven young deer jumped out in front of me coming out of a ditch line! I slowed real quickly and braked to a complete stop for the last deer that crossed in front of me which was about five feet from the front of my spyder. I caught my breath, scanned the ditch line for more deer and then took off slowly and was on my way again. It was a close one, but I didn't hit any deer and I kept the spyder in control, so all is well.

docdoru
03-28-2010, 09:14 AM
:yikes::pray:

bodymanpainter
03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I think I would get some deer alerts, not sure they work but I have had them on all of my bikes for 5 years and no dogs or deers have came out in front of me or my wife.:yikes:

jodemonken
03-28-2010, 09:21 AM
:pray:drive safe:pray: :f_spider:And god watch all the spyder riders! :f_spider:

SpyderWolf
03-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Glad to hear you did not become another deer slayer.

My wife was just showing me something in the Kuryakn catalog the other day for deer avoidance. It is some type of electronic device that puts out about 120 decibels of sound pressure and is supposed to keep them away from you. I have no idea if any of these products actually work or not though, as I have had plenty of deer just lift their head and watch me as I drive by in my car or ryde by on my Spyder without any type of alert system. :dontknow:

Firefly
03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Glad you're okay. If you don't have them already, I would invest in HID's so you can see better.

The 'deer alert' things-- electronic or otherwise are pretty much a waste of money.

boborgera
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Glad you're okay.

The 'deer alert' things-- electronic or otherwise are pretty much a waste of money.

Not really years ago i put a set on my VW Gti, brought the deer in real close so i could give one a good wack.nojoke

DragonSpyder
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
They usually run the opposite way when they hear the Leo Vince coming!

Bersquack
03-28-2010, 01:04 PM
:yikes: scary stuff.

bone crusher
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
First, Who prayed for me early this morning? I want to thank them! I was on my way to work about 3:00am this morning to get in some overtime hours. The road that I travel is a twisty country road with lots of wooded areas next to the road. I was going about 40 mph on the spyder and suddenly, about six to seven young deer jumped out in front of me coming out of a ditch line! I slowed real quickly and braked to a complete stop for the last deer that crossed in front of me which was about five feet from the front of my spyder. I caught my breath, scanned the ditch line for more deer and then took off slowly and was on my way again. It was a close one, but I didn't hit any deer and I kept the spyder in control, so all is well.

I have about 20 deer in my backyard at around dusk...we need to hunters around here to thin out the population...they really don't serve any good except to spread Lyme (through the ticks they carry) and get in the way of cars/bikes...cause injury and damage...

They reproduce like deer...uh, oh, they are deer...they do taste pretty good though!

SpyderWolf
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Not really years ago i put a set on my VW Gti, brought the deer in real close so i could give one a good wack.nojoke

This was my primary concern. My father in law continuously tells me I need to put some on my vehicle, because he has them on his and when he is driving the deer just stop and look at him. I told him they do the same thing to me without any alert systems at all. At least it has been that way so far and I hope it continues.

I did take out a 180 pound 8 point buck with my 1992 Ford Ranger back in November of 2007, and that was not a fun experience. :yikes:

rider2554
03-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I think I would get some deer alerts, not sure they work but I have had them on all of my bikes for 5 years and no dogs or deers have came out in front of me or my wife.:yikes:
Glad you have been very fortunate over the years. Take it from me though, those deer alerts, electronic or otherwise. Don't work at all. You're wasting your money putting them on, but I guess it's just for your peace of mind. I'm an over the road truck driver with various companies with over 3 million miles under my belt. To date, I've hit 8 deer over this period of time with these on my trucks. And if you think the HID's will help, it will only attract them more. They do help you see farther ahead but my best advice to to be more aware and slow down esp in wooded areas and at nite. Even though you see them and they look at you, doesn't mean they won't jump out at you at the last second. They're good at that, take my word on that.

Smylinacha
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Glad you got through that one!:thumbup: Many nights on my way home from work I see deer running across this one road I take home. Mostly wooded and very windy. We see many when we are out riding. I am happy that I can stop on a dime w/ the :spyder: and I don't have to worry about keeping it upright!

3 a.m.? Ouch but Overtime is always a good thing!

rnet
03-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I hit one back in 2005, or I should say it hit me on my new 1100 vstar. Only a few months old at the time and luckily the deer was maybe only 8 months or so. Hit me right on my front axle, I stayed up, it went down. No damage to the bike, dead deer.

SpyderWolf
03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Have you seen these videos?

This first one has a foul word at the very beginning so you may want to keep the kids away for 20 seconds or so, it is clean after that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6disEgR_ss0

In this one the rider may not have been as lucky as some of the others. The video is a little grainy, but the bike does an end over upon impact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90QRkG21_DE

This rider is shocked, but made out okay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Rbz6hseKc

This one keeps repeating over and over at slower speeds, but you can see the ryder actually duck as the deer jumps over him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dut1es8KxdU

LDFIREWORKS
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
glad you r ok ride safe:2thumbs::ohyea:

vtrider
03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
3 a.m.? Ouch but Overtime is always a good thing![/QUOTE]

Yeah! I'm an early bird! I have flex time for work hours, so I make my own hours. I like getting in early, so that I can get out early. It works for me, so I'm used to it. As far as the deer, I just try to spot them and hope I can react and not hit them. I've been lucky so far.

grumpybob
03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
3 a.m.? Ouch but Overtime is always a good thing!

Yeah! I'm an early bird! I have flex time for work hours, so I make my own hours. I like getting in early, so that I can get out early. It works for me, so I'm used to it. As far as the deer, I just try to spot them and hope I can react and not hit them. I've been lucky so far.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you missed it and are ok!!

Had deer alerts on my wrangler when I hit one, don't think they work to well for something in front of you. Just shut down my part time transportation Co. used to hate it when someone would pass me with deer alerts when I had horses in the trailer. Seemed to really bother the horses when the vehicle got next to me.

Roaddog2
03-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I think I would get some deer alerts, not sure they work but I have had them on all of my bikes for 5 years and no dogs or deers have came out in front of me or my wife.:yikes:Had them on a bike 86 Softail and still took a Doe out at 70+ mph :yikes: That was my lucky day :pray: these wern't cheap ones either :doorag: Glad you are OK VTrider hope to see you soon