PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming about adding a two wheeler to the family

dltang
03-27-2010, 09:57 PM
There are often times I think I would like to have a motorcycle in addition to my spyder. Especially if this new job comes through (which is looking pretty good) because it it quite a hike and better mileage would be nice. So I have been looking at some bikes just for fun. There is a nice Harley Sportster at the dealership that I really like, with matt black pipes and handle bars, I also found that I like the Yamaha V-Star Silverado. But this custom bike really got my attention. I don't know anything about bikes, but for some reason, I really like this. Does anyone know anything about a bike like this? Any input. I won't be buying this year I don't think, but it is nice to hear your thoughts.
Here is the ebay add:
'99 ARLEN NESS CUSTOM 1340 EVO VERY GOOD CONDITION ebay add
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-ARLEN-NESS-CUSTOM-1340-EVO-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ280483716735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_motorcycles?hash=item414e21de7f#ht_779wt_1167)
And here is a brief youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTkIaqSh53o

Smylinacha
03-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Hey Deb! Congrats on the hopefully soon to be new job!!!:2thumbs:

Here's my opinion. Sportsters ride like you're sitting on a rock. They look really cool but they ride hard and are top heavy - I didn't keep mine long - actually it was the first bike I learned to ride (besides my dirt bike) and I didn't like it..... So I ended up w/ a deluxe (softail) and I still had to do some small customizing to make it comfortable but it had an awsome center of gravity and it had power and got good mileage. I love that custom. real cool! But I agree w/ HDX - you'd need an independent mechanic to fix anything on one.

Plenty of used HD's around for a good price. Also the Hondas are real nice - I had a Shadow once - very comfortable, hardly had to do anything to it and it was under $7K. All black - just did some cosmetic adjustments on it and put some V&H on it.

dltang
03-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I would probably not buy that custom or any other custom for the very reasons you stated Lou. I just really thought that was a nice looking bike. Kim, I truly appreciate your input on the ride of the various HD models and talking about center of gravity on a bike. Unlike cars, you don't very often get to test ride a motorcycle prior to purchase. I know there is a place not too far from here where you can rent the HD but not sure about the cost or if it would be worth it. As I mentioned, it probably won't happen this year, but I seriously would like to have a bike along with my spyder.

Smylinacha
03-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Have you taken the motorcycle safety course? Now that's probably the same cost if not cheaper than renting a bike. And with that you get to play on a two wheeler all day long and learn some valuable info. I know that stopping on a dime on a two wheeler versus our Spyders is very different - you learn how to keep the bike upright in emergency situations. Also you'll learn how to swerve and panic stop and weave through cones (I loved the cone weaving part). Then they make you do a figure 8 in a boxed area - I got through it but for me that was hard. It was fun and I am so glad I took the course. Passed w/ one of the highest scores the first time around!:2thumbs:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I would probably not buy that custom or any other custom for the very reasons you stated Lou. I just really thought that was a nice looking bike. Kim, I truly appreciate your input on the ride of the various HD models and talking about center of gravity on a bike. Unlike cars, you don't very often get to test ride a motorcycle prior to purchase. I know there is a place not too far from here where you can rent the HD but not sure about the cost or if it would be worth it. As I mentioned, it probably won't happen this year, but I seriously would like to have a bike along with my spyder.

Bersquack
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Deb, I'm happy to see that the two-wheel bug bit you too. I bought a sporster last year. I agree with Smylinacha in that it is not the most comfortable ride, but I like mine (and it's my first two-wheeler).

I do not know what your pans or your budget are, but in my opinion you have two options:

1) buy something small to learn and get familiar with to be replaced within a year

2) invest in something bigger, more comfortable like Bones suggest

There are lots of good bikes out there, so the choice is really not easy. I like Harleys and what they represent, so for me it was a no brainer. I have friends who love their hondas and BMWs too.

Good luck!

dragonheart
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
For what it is worth, I had a V-Star 650 and found it to be very top heavy. Moved to a Suzuki Volusia 800 and LOVED IT! Very balanced bike and very comfortable. Never had a Harley so nothing to compare it to. Wound up selling my Volusia for a sport bike (Suzuki SV650) which I loved even more - and even better gas mileage.

ataDude
03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey, Deb. You may want to look at the Triumph Thunderbird... 1600cc.

I have been very happy with mine... while it's relatively heavy (690 pounds dry), it carries its weight low... making for a low center-of-gravity.

It has very good low speed handling with bunches of low-end torque (106 FP at 2800 rpm). High-speed handling is excellent!

It gets between 40 and 50 MPG... and is only turning 4,000 rpm at 105 mph. It does have a 6500 rpm red line.

27" seat height, also.

bjt
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey, Deb. You may want to look at the Triumph Thunderbird... 1600cc.

I have been very happy with mine... while it's relatively heavy (690 pounds dry), it carries its weight low... making for a low center-of-gravity.

It has very good low speed handling with bunches of low-end torque (106 FP at 2800 rpm). High-speed handling is excellent!

It gets between 40 and 50 MPG... and is only turning 4,000 rpm at 105 mph. It does have a 6500 rpm red line.

27" seat height, also.

That doesn't sound like something you can get for under $10,000.

ataDude
03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
That doesn't sound like something you can get for under $10,000.

$12.5 to $14 depending on ABS.

bjt
03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm hoping to keep her two wheel dream to $8k or less. :D

ataDude
03-29-2010, 05:58 PM

Cheapskate. :ohyea:

rnet
03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
2 v-star family here, although you don't say which size silverado (650 or 1100) both are very reliable. The silverado gives you sissy bar, windshield, and bags for about $1000 more than a 1100 classic, that is what I ride, but I have moded it to have these. my 1100 gets 44mpg, my sons 650 gets 48mpg. There is about a 100 pounds difference between the two. Both are very nimble, but when I jump on the 650 I notice that it is a little easier to handle and the HP difference. (the 100 pounds) I just looked online at a place near me and left over 1100 classic or custom $6500, that's a real bang for your buck. Look close and you can see mine in both pictures next to my spyder.

Roger
03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Deb i too have been thinking about a 2 wheeler and i don't want to hi jack your thread but i have been looking at a honda fury and hd streetbob these are a little more than your price range. i don't know just thinking about it i also sat on an m109 the bike is not as heavy as it looks. idk just beginning to check thinks out.

Roaddog2
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Nice looking bike, Deb. That one has an open primary(exposed belt drive) next to the riders left foot, probably not a good idea for a first street bike.:yikes: Another thing to think about is service-Hd shops around here only service HD bikes. If you have a custom, you'll need to use an independent, or do the work yourself. Not usually a problem when you're local, but could be troublesome if you travel on it. For the same price range as that bike, there are a LOT of used newer model, Twin Cam engine HD's for sale these days. Heck, for just a couple grand more, you can get a brand new, warrantied, big twin SuperGlide. Nothing wrong with customs, or even other brands, but seeing that you asked for an opinion, I'd put my $$ in an HD.:2thumbs::agree:but then I always do :doorag:

Ravi4l
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
add 1 more to the list Kawasaki Ninja 650R very nice truing bike very good on gas my other half has 1 she loves it.

dltang
03-31-2010, 09:02 PM
add 1 more to the list Kawasaki Ninja 650R very nice truing bike very good on gas my other half has 1 she loves it.

Thanks for the thought but the cafe style bike just isn't for me. I have looked at they just don't do it for me like the cruisers do.

LittleJohn
04-01-2010, 07:27 AM

If your interested in the V-Stars, and are lookin at used, Ive got an 02 V-Star 1100 Classic with a few goodies on it for sale.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2528&id=100000490802567&l=d0d56b08bb
$4500

rnet
04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
If your interested in the V-Stars, and are lookin at used, Ive got an 02 V-Star 1100 Classic with a few goodies on it for sale.
$4500Looks good, there you go deb, all the options of a silverado and then some at half the price. I might be interested, but it's a long way to texas.

dltang
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
$4500

Looks good, there you go deb, all the options of a silverado and then some at half the price. I might be interested, but it's a long way to texas.
Yes, that is a great deal. Texas is a little far for a pick up though. If you were closer it might be something to seriously consider. Someone will be a very lucky buyer.

LittleJohn
04-02-2010, 07:18 AM
If either of you decide its somethin you might want. Id be willing to help set up shipping, etc. Ive heard you can get a bike shipped for reasonable prices (?$400ish?)
Thanks for the comments. Its a nice bike, but Jill decided she wanted to try a sport tourer so we found a used ST1300 for her that shes likin alot!

ataDude
04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
...but Jill decided she wanted to try a sport tourer so we found a used ST1300 for her that shes likin alot!

Hmmm... don't race her... she will embarrass you! :yikes:

LittleJohn
04-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Hmmm... don't race her... she will embarrass you! :yikes:

I know thats a fact!!! I had an 04 ST before the Spyder.....Yeehawwww!

ataDude
04-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I know thats a fact!!! I had an 04 ST before the Spyder.....Yeehawwww!

ooooh... I had one of those blue ones, too. Just never could get "long-distance-comfortable" on it regardless of tons of mods. It would get up to 155 MPH rather quickly.

Sorry about the hi-jack, Deb!