PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring thru the throttle body

Pilo
03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Recently installed KewlMetal's Air Filter Kit on my 2009 SE5 (+/- 6K miles, with Hindle) with 3 purposes:

1.- To get rid of the oil-in-the-air-box-syndrome.
2.- To get rid of the original (and enormous) air-box, and thus have complete access to the engine upper sections, including the very basic: the front cylinder spark-plug.
3.- To use K&N non-disposable / cleanable filter elements, instead of disposable units.

Now whenever I ride it in hot days in traffic (almost always), there is a more-than-occasional backfiring thru the throttle body when I crack-open the throttle while the engine is revving in low RPM's.

I have just disconnected the battery cables and will later do the fuel map resetting (15 minutes idling, 15 minutes cool-off, and then ride it hard), to see if this will do away with the backfiring.

Any ideas / suggestions are always appreciated.

Saludos, Pilo

Firefly
03-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Recently installed KewlMetal's Air Filter Kit on my 2009 SE5 (+/- 6K miles, with Hindle) with 3 purposes:

1.- To get rid of the oil-in-the-air-box-syndrome.
2.- To get rid of the original (and enormous) air-box, and thus have complete access to the engine upper sections, including the very basic: the front cylinder spark-plug.
3.- To use K&N non-disposable / cleanable filter elements, instead of disposable units.

Now whenever I ride it in hot days in traffic (almost always), there is a more-than-occasional backfiring thru the throttle body when I crack-open the throttle while the engine is revving in low RPM's.

I have just disconnected the battery cables and will later do the fuel map resetting (15 minutes idling, 15 minutes cool-off, and then ride it hard), to see if this will do away with the backfiring.

Any ideas / suggestions are always appreciated.

Saludos, Pilo

What exhaust are you running?
Might want to check your Y gaskets.... and possibly get a Juice Box....

Pilo
03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
What exhaust are you running?
Might want to check your Y gaskets.... and possibly get a Juice Box....

Recently installed KewlMetal's Air Filter Kit on my 2009 SE5 (+/- 6K miles, with Hindle)...

The back-firing is thru the throttle body, not thru the exhaust system...

Saludos, Pilo

Pilo
03-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Recently installed KewlMetal's Air Filter Kit on my 2009 SE5 (+/- 6K miles, with Hindle)...

The back-firing is thru the throttle body, not thru the exhaust system...

Saludos, Pilo

Should I have said "burping" instead of backfiring...? :opps:

Don't remember the right 'technical' word for it... :dontknow:

Saludos, Pilo

SpyderWolf
03-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Do you have a Juice Box installed?

From the other posts and reports I have read on here, the combination of that filter and the Hindle will require the use of a Juice Box as well. The reason is now your engine is running too lean, and the fuel mapping of the stock ECM cannot compensate for both of those changes at the same time.

Pilo
03-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Do you have a Juice Box installed?

From the other posts and reports I have read on here, the combination of that filter and the Hindle will require the use of a Juice Box as well. The reason is now your engine is running too lean, and the fuel mapping of the stock ECM cannot compensate for both of those changes at the same time.

Please enlighten me about the 'juice box'..., don't spare details...

ntxYguy2009
03-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Take a look here:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/fuelcontroller.html

David

SpyderWolf
03-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Please enlighten me about the 'juice box'..., don't spare details...

It is produced by Two Brothers Racing, and is a Premium Fuel Controller. It basically allows you to program the air/fuel mixture much better than the ECM is able to, which gives you increased performance and possibly even better mileage.

Here is everything you could ever want to know about it, and then some:

http://www.twobros.com/Perf_Products/Juice_Box/JuiceBox.htm

Hope that helps.

bone crusher
03-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm thinking too much oxygen, not enough fuel...the juicebox will enable you to put more fuel into the mix...this will help with the additional air that's getting in...richen up your mix a little.

You really need a JB...it is really awesome...behind the mudflaps, it's my favorite mod!

Tom in NM
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Pilo, what altitude are you running at? I know you have high temps, but in general, what are the ranges you ride in?

Also, I am not clear on what you are experiencing. The "burping" or "back-firing" "through the throttle" is hard for me to understand. Maybe you could describe the conditions a little more.

A juice box may just be what you need - BUT - given that you are in a country hundreds of miles away from a BRP dealership and pretty much on your own mechanically, I would recommend you think about it. Personally, I am not comfortable adding another computer into the already complex mix of computers and settings on the Spyder - especially for general riding ( as opposed to track racing ).

As you have seen, there are many on this forum that swear by a juice box and recommend it unconditionally for just about anything, situation or riding style. But, as you have seen by modifying your air filters, it will introduce a chain of adjustments and tuning issues that you will have to deal with. In some rider's experiences, this has been easy - sort of "plug and play" hardware on a computer. Others have had different experiences.

In my experience, adding a juice box is for a specific kind of riding and rider. Hopefully someone on the forum has a similar riding profile to yours and juice box experience that they can share and advise you on.

Tom

Pilo
03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Pilo, what altitude are you running at? I know you have high temps, but in general, what are the ranges you ride in?

Also, I am not clear on what you are experiencing. The "burping" or "back-firing" "through the throttle" is hard for me to understand. Maybe you could describe the conditions a little more.

A juice box may just be what you need - BUT - given that you are in a country hundreds of miles away from a BRP dealership and pretty much on your own mechanically, I would recommend you think about it. Personally, I am not comfortable adding another computer into the already complex mix of computers and settings on the Spyder - especially for general riding ( as opposed to track racing ).

As you have seen, there are many on this forum that swear by a juice box and recommend it unconditionally for just about anything, situation or riding style. But, as you have seen by modifying your air filters, it will introduce a chain of adjustments and tuning issues that you will have to deal with. In some rider's experiences, this has been easy - sort of "plug and play" hardware on a computer. Others have had different experiences.

In my experience, adding a juice box is for a specific kind of riding and rider. Hopefully someone on the forum has a similar riding profile to yours and juice box experience that they can share and advise you on.

Tom

Hi Friend:

I ride mostly at sea-level elevations. I did a couple of mountain trips and even went thru 13000 + feet altitudes, but I had the original air-box at that time (so I did not experience the burping..., but had the oil-in-the-airbox problem :cus: ).

The burping / backfiring / miss is thru the throttle-body, the area located between the air-box and the injectors. That's the term BRP uses for it; I would call it the intake 'manifold'...

I am not yet sold on the idea of fiddling with another electronic device on the SE5, I am just trying to figure out if there could be an easy solution to this problem.

I will do the ECU resetting "protocol" today, and see if it takes care of the problem.

Your opinion is surely being appreciated.

Regards, Pilo

Babymoose
03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
One question first. You didn't mention it but is your idle smooth? I notice you mention it is only on hot days is that accurate?

Pilo
03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
One question first. You didn't mention it but is your idle smooth? I notice you mention it is only on hot days is that accurate?

Moose:

Idle is smooth as silk.

In Venezuela, and especially in Maracaibo, every day is a hot day...

Average temp here (all year round...) is 95-100° F :yikes:

Saludos, Pilo

Tom in NM
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
. . . . . . The burping / backfiring / miss is thru the throttle-body, the area located between the air-box and the injectors. That's the term BRP uses for it; I would call it the intake 'manifold'...

Pilo, I don't know - but that won't stop me from guessing - I have read on other posts that they also were getting manifold noise after taking off the air box - in effect, that the sounds you are hearing are a natural product of how the engine operates - with the air box (also) acting as a muffler for those sounds. In some cases, I "recall" people posting that they went back to the air box because the sounds were too loud.

Perhaps some people with real knowledge can comment on this.

There are other solutions for oil in the air box, KRB1945 has written about a simple one: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15589&highlight=krb1945+filter Maybe something like this would work better for you.

Oh, you might also try contacting Matt at KewlMetal for his opinion and possible options - he always comes across as a great guy and is very caring and responsive.

Tom

Pilo
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Pilo, I don't know - but that won't stop me from guessing - I have read on other posts that they also were getting manifold noise after taking off the air box - in effect, that the sounds you are hearing are a natural product of how the engine operates - with the air box (also) acting as a muffler for those sounds. In some cases, I "recall" people posting that they went back to the air box because the sounds were too loud.

Perhaps some people with real knowledge can comment on this.

There are other solutions for oil in the air box, KRB1945 has written about a simple one: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15589&highlight=krb1945+filter Maybe something like this would work better for you.

Oh, you might also try contacting Matt at KewlMetal for his opinion and possible options - he always comes across as a great guy and is very caring and responsive.

Tom

Tom:

You are right, the original air-box also acts as a muffler to quiet down the suction sounds.

And yes, the KewlMetal kit makes the SE5 louder (+ the Hindle sound...) :D

But the occasional misfire is a loud pop (not from the exhaust) when I open the throttle while in low revs.

I already tried the sponge in the hose and had bad results. It got dirty, it clogged, stifled the breathing, and the resulting pressure inside the crankcase blew off an oil seal behind the front sprocket... That is why I decided to go the KewlMetal way. The breathing hose discharges the oil mist / droplets directly into the throttle-body.

I will try to get in touch with Matt. Do you happen to have his contact details (e-mail, cell phone, Skype...)...?

Saludos, Pilo

Tom in NM
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I will try to get in touch with Matt. Do you happen to have his contact details (e-mail, cell phone, Skype...)...?

Saludos, Pilo

Sent it to you.

Hey, you need to post some pictures of Spyder-life down there. I would love to see them.

Tom

Pilo
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Sent it to you.

Hey, you need to post some pictures of Spyder-life down there. I would love to see them.

Tom

Got them, thanks...

Not many Spyders here in Venezuela, probably 2 (or 3 if you count mine...) :D

Some pics:

Pilo
03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Spyder in Venezuela...

Pilo
03-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Pics from a Spyder in Venezuela...

Pilo
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Pilo- it sure sounds like it could be detonation from a 'too lean' mixture. Does it 'surge' or RPM's vary at steady throttle position in the midrange areas? Any afterfiring or 'popping' in the exhaust during a hard or rapid engine deceleration under load? All those are signs of leanness. Changing the exhaust AND the intake has increased the amount of air that your engine can flow, fuel delivery typically needs to be increased also. The Juicebox is one method of accomplishing this.

Nope, I doesn't surge or varies RPM's. I did the canisterectomy a while back, and plugged the intake of the servo / purge valve.

Yes, it has always backfired thru the exhaust system (Hindle installed) in the conditions you mention. I always thought it was caused by some leaks in the system joints, but never related it to the fuel mix.

Tom in NM
03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Pilo, GREAT pictures! You keep your Spyder in mint condition and it looks great in the Venezuelan terrain - but why are you always looking so serious?

Thanks for posting the pics - I will probably never get there in person, but it looks incredible.

Tom

SpyderWolf
03-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Those are some very nice pictures, and it looks like a great place to ryde.

One easy, and inexpensive, fix, would be to put your air box back on and see what happens. Personally, I don't think that is worth the effort though.

I did see the Two Brothers now has the Juice Box Pro available for the Spyder though. This one will let you store various maps so you can change it on the fly for the style of ryding you are about to do. I may have to take a chance on that one. See, my Spyder also runs lean as I have the Hindle exhaust and am running the K&N filter in the air box. You took it a step further and no longer have the air box, so you are sucking in a heck of a lot more air than I am, meaning you should be running even leaner.

TexasTripod
03-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I had the good fortune to visit The area of Puerto La Cruz Venezuela a few years ago and fell in love with the country and the staggering number of beautiful women (mostly the women)! This was just after the devastating floods and rock slides that hit near Caracas (I think) . I will never forget when returning to Caracas from Puerto La Cruz having to detour through the jungle on a path cut by a bulldozer to get back to the main highway. I hope someday to be able to go back and see more of the country.

Firefly
03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Nope, I doesn't surge or varies RPM's. I did the canisterectomy a while back, and plugged the intake of the servo / purge valve.

Yes, it has always backfired thru the exhaust system (Hindle installed) in the conditions you mention. I always thought it was caused by some leaks in the system joints, but never related it to the fuel mix.

Adding the juice box is really less invasive than the other mods you have already done (kewlmetal intake, hindle, canisterectomy).

When I did my Evoluzione inktake with Hindle I had backfiring too. Increasing the fuel pressure helped a lot (I also installed their fuel pressure mod).

Now I've installed a juice box, lowered the fuel pressure and am adjusting the juice box in hopes that will essentially work as well as the higher fuel pressure. The downside to the increased fuel pressure was really poor MPG. The juice box should only 'add' the extra fuel while I'm on the throttle if I adjust things right....at least that's what I'm hoping for.....

So I really think you're going to have to add a Juice Box to help your problem.....

Pilo
03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Adding the juice box is really less invasive than the other mods you have already done (kewlmetal intake, hindle, canisterectomy).

When I did my Evoluzione inktake with Hindle I had backfiring too. Increasing the fuel pressure helped a lot (I also installed their fuel pressure mod).

Now I've installed a juice box, lowered the fuel pressure and am adjusting the juice box in hopes that will essentially work as well as the higher fuel pressure. The downside to the increased fuel pressure was really poor MPG. The juice box should only 'add' the extra fuel while I'm on the throttle if I adjust things right....at least that's what I'm hoping for.....

So I really think you're going to have to add a Juice Box to help your problem.....

I had the Hindle installed by the USA dealer because I liked the looks and the sound. Never had it associated with additional performance.

Did the canisterectomy to get rid of the fuel fumes. That included plugging the servo valve. Again, this other mod was not associated with performance.

And did the air filter kit mod to get rid of the oil mist and the blockaded access to the front spark plug and upper engine areas. Not associated with performance.

I am really not interested in adding more power / performance to the SE5, I just want to get rid of the "burp"...

When you say "When I did my Evoluzione inktake with Hindle I had backfiring too"..., do you mean backfiring at the exhaust system or burping at the intake manifold...?

Saludos, Pilo

Pilo
03-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I had the good fortune to visit The area of Puerto La Cruz Venezuela a few years ago and fell in love with the country and the staggering number of beautiful women (mostly the women)! This was just after the devastating floods and rock slides that hit near Caracas (I think) . I will never forget when returning to Caracas from Puerto La Cruz having to detour through the jungle on a path cut by a bulldozer to get back to the main highway. I hope someday to be able to go back and see more of the country.

Tripod:
I was living and working very close to Puerto La Cruz in 1999, when the floods near Caracas occurred.
We were building the very first heavy-oil upgrader / refinery called PetroZuata.
These are some old pics from that area.
Enjoy...

Firefly
03-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I had the Hindle installed by the USA dealer because I liked the looks and the sound. Never had it associated with additional performance.

Did the canisterectomy to get rid of the fuel fumes. That included plugging the servo valve. Again, this other mod was not associated with performance.

And did the air filter kit mod to get rid of the oil mist and the blockaded access to the front spark plug and upper engine areas. Not associated with performance.

I am really not interested in adding more power / performance to the SE5, I just want to get rid of the "burp"...

When you say "When I did my Evoluzione inktake with Hindle I had backfiring too"..., do you mean backfiring at the exhaust system or burping at the intake manifold...?

Saludos, Pilo

I really think they are one in the same 'intake burp vs. backfire'. It's just much more pronounced with a more open intake like you and I have. You generally hear the intake more than the Hindle--- at least with the Evoluzione air intake system.

Either way you slice it, whether you want 'performance' or not--- with your add-ons you got some. The hindle adds around 5 hp and the intake maybe another few. As mentioned above, you could but the original airbox back in and see if the 'popping' goes away. You could do a catch can setup and keep the original air box to take care of the oil mist... or keep the kewlmetal intake and add a juicebox to get rid of the 'popping'.

Depending on how many miles you have on your Spyder, you might also want to check the Y pipe gasket and make sure you don't have a leak.

Pilo
03-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Pilo- when you changed just the exhaust at first, the ECU had the ability to compensate, and add a little fuel. With a new air intake, the restrictive inlet horns are gone, and the engine has the ability to flow more air than the ECU can add fuel for. The mixture becomes too lean. A lean mixture burns hotter than a richer mixture, and can create 'hot spots', on carbon deposits or valve edges. When a fresh mixture hits the hot spots on the intake stroke, it can detonate, causing the backfiring through the throttle bodies. Adding more fuel with an aftermarket device will richen the fuel mixture, and cool the cylinder temps down, eliminating the intake backfiring.....

Bones:

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I was precisely looking for that kind of info.

As I tried to say before, it has nothing to do with the backfiring at the exhaust, usually caused by a leak at the system joints, thus allowing fresh air to be sucked into the hot gases going out, causing a small explosion.

Saludos, Pilo

Yazz
03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Great thread. Lots of good information and beautiful pics.

Pilo- when you changed just the exhaust at first, the ECU had the ability to compensate, and add a little fuel. With a new air intake, the restrictive inlet horns are gone, and the engine has the ability to flow more air than the ECU can add fuel for. The mixture becomes too lean. A lean mixture burns hotter than a richer mixture, and can create 'hot spots', on carbon deposits or valve edges. When a fresh mixture hits the hot spots on the intake stroke, it can detonate, causing the backfiring through the throttle bodies. Adding more fuel with an aftermarket device will richen the fuel mixture, and cool the cylinder temps down, eliminating the intake backfiring.....

Is this called predetonation?

Tom in NM
03-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Great thread. Lots of good information and beautiful pics.

Is this called predetonation?

Pre-ignition, actually......

. . . . PREDETONATION is what Bones does when he sees that FireFly has posted . . . . . well, anything . . . . to any of his threads.

Tom :D

Tom in NM
03-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Bones, nice description of pre-ignition.

Is there anyway for Pilo to enrich the fuel mix without doing a juice-box?

I am guessing that changing to a different grade of gas would not have much effect, but could he put some shields or baffles on the air filter to restrict the flow and glut of air? The key word is restrict to a degree that would get his air/fuel mix back into the normal operating fuel/air maps the Spyder can deal with?

If he is experiencing pre-ignition ( and that sounds probable ) I can see how a juice box would help him control that. But, personally, I just hate adding that level of technology to solve the problem - if possible, I try and keep things simple - which gives me a very slim chance of understanding it and making it work.

Tom

Firefly
03-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Bones, nice description of pre-ignition.

Is there anyway for Pilo to enrich the fuel mix without doing a juice-box?

I am guessing that changing to a different grade of gas would not have much effect, but could he put some shields or baffles on the air filter to restrict the flow and glut of air? The key word is restrict to a degree that would get his air/fuel mix back into the normal operating fuel/air maps the Spyder can deal with?

If he is experiencing pre-ignition ( and that sounds probable ) I can see how a juice box would help him control that. But, personally, I just hate adding that level of technology to solve the problem - if possible, I try and keep things simple - which gives me a very slim chance of understanding it and making it work.

Tom

Could do the evoluzione fuel pressure mod---- but that's more invasive than the juice box. I suppose you could block the air around the kewlmetal filter--- but then what's the point of having the kewlmetal filter?

Could go back to stock airbox and put a catch-can in for the oil.

http://www.evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-can-am.htm

Considering the juice box is plug and play and 100% reversible (probably 1/2 hour to uninstall it)--- that would be what I would do---- and did.

Yazz
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Pre-ignition, actually......

There I go learning something new again...

krb1945
03-27-2010, 07:59 PM
mixture. You've added a high performance air filter and muffler. As a test for a too lean mixture you can re-install your stock exhaust and see if the problem goes away. If it goes away you'll know that you either need to install a Juice Box or eliminate either the high performance muffler or the high performance air intake. /Ken

Tom in NM
03-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Could do the evoluzione fuel pressure mod---- but that's more invasive than the juice box. I suppose you could block the air around the kewlmetal filter--- but then what's the point of having the kewlmetal filter?

Could go back to stock airbox and put a catch-can in for the oil.

http://www.evoluzione.net/evo-cycle-can-am.htm

Considering the juice box is plug and play and 100% reversible (probably 1/2 hour to uninstall it)--- that would be what I would do---- and did.

Yup, I know you ( and others ) have done the juice box, for a variety of reasons - and you sound happy about it. But go back and look at "why Pilo did the upgrade to the kewlmetal filter" in post #26 ----> "And did the air filter kit mod to get rid of the oil mist and the blockaded access to the front spark plug and upper engine areas. Not associated with performance."

Those are the very reasons I would consider doing it, plus, I would "guess" that not having the stock air box would improve airflow/cooling around the engine.

Tom

Firefly
03-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Yup, I know you ( and others ) have done the juice box, for a variety of reasons - and you sound happy about it. But go back and look at "why Pilo did the upgrade to the kewlmetal filter" in post #26 ----> "And did the air filter kit mod to get rid of the oil mist and the blockaded access to the front spark plug and upper engine areas. Not associated with performance."

Those are the very reasons I would consider doing it, plus, I would "guess" that not having the stock air box would improve airflow/cooling around the engine.

Tom

Yup-- understand---- but since he's already spent $500 on the pipe and $280 on the intake--- I think he's just going to have to spend another $200 and get a juice box.... or just live with the popping and avoid quick de-throttling....

NancysToy
03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
One of the unfortunate things that sometimes happens when we add aftermarket accesories, just for the sounds (muffler) or the looks (air cleaner, is that the free-flowing performance aspects of such mods...and their unintended and additive consequences, sometimes blind side us. What looks easy becomes hard, and requires additional tuning or even additional modifications. It sort of comes under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for."

Tom in NM
03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
One of the unfortunate things that sometimes happens when we add aftermarket accesories, just for the sounds (muffler) or the looks (air cleaner, is that the free-flowing performance aspects of such mods...and their unintended and additive consequences, sometimes blind side us. What looks easy becomes hard, and requires additional tuning or even additional modifications. It sort of comes under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for."

:agree: I could not agree more - which is why I have left mine stock for now. There may come a time when I want to tinker with it, but for now, I would much rather ride it.

Only when it comes to streamlining maintenance or making something operate more elegantly, do I get tempted. I've been down that path before (too many times), where I tweak one thing and $3,000 plus countless hours later, it still is not "right". Too many technical "whack-a-mole"s on a Spyder for my wallet.

Tom

boborgera
03-27-2010, 10:18 PM
:agree:

:agree:It's not like the old days when you could hack around a carburetor and exhaust and not have a computer fight you.

NancysToy
03-28-2010, 08:33 AM
:agree: I could not agree more - which is why I have left mine stock for now. There may come a time when I want to tinker with it, but for now, I would much rather ride it.

Only when it comes to streamlining maintenance or making something operate more elegantly, do I get tempted. I've been down that path before (too many times), where I tweak one thing and $3,000 plus countless hours later, it still is not "right". Too many technical "whack-a-moles on a Spyder for my wallet.

Tom
Gotta add that one to my list of technical terms! :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Gotta add that one to my list of technical terms! :thumbup:

:agree: I also like the "whack-a-moles" terminology. :D

Campverdefela
03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Bones:

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I was precisely looking for that kind of info.

As I tried to say before, it has nothing to do with the backfiring at the exhaust, usually caused by a leak at the system joints, thus allowing fresh air to be sucked into the hot gases going out, causing a small explosion.

Saludos, Pilo
Pilo, check the 4 bolts that hold the two exhaust pipes to the engine block. I found mine a little loose. I had a similar problem as you and have the same mods as you do plus the Juice box. This helped in mine situation, but beware I had to use every tool I had [almost] to get to the buggers....Dennis

Pilo
03-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Pilo, check the 4 bolts that hold the two exhaust pipes to the engine block. I found mine a little loose. I had a similar problem as you and have the same mods as you do plus the Juice box. This helped in mine situation, but beware I had to use every tool I had [almost] to get to the buggers....Dennis

Dennis:

Thanks for the advise, but it came a little too late...

Yesterday I spent the morning putting the SE5 together, to have it ready for today's rendezvous with the local bikers at the usual Sunday morning breakfast place.

During the week I will try to adjust those bolts by removing as little as possible of the body panels.

On th positive side, with the KewlMetal Air Filter Kit it is now a lot easier to get at those buggers...

Saludos, Pilo

Pilo
03-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Dennis and Everybody:

How easy or how difficult is to adjust your mix settings once you have your JB installed...?

What do you have to do to get it right...?

By the answers received I am of the impression that it is a sort of a trial & error process...

Thanks and regards, Pilo

Campverdefela
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Dennis and Everybody:

How easy or how difficult is to adjust your mix settings once you have your JB installed...?

What do you have to do to get it right...?

By the answers received I am of the impression that it is a sort of a trial & error process...

Thanks and regards, Pilo
The Juice box is preset with a fuel curve specific for the Spyder with a free flow exhaust. I found it to be good the way it came and only made a minor change. So you should see a big improvement right out of box even if you make no further adjustments.

Pilo
08-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I now wonder if Evoluzione's O2 Modifier can make the job of enriching the mixture...?

Saludos, Pilo

Justin
08-01-2010, 10:25 PM
My bike does this once in awhile. It runs mint but sometimes when I blip the throttle it burps out the intake. I'll check the bolts. I'm stock airbox with hindle. I just changed my plugs and they're golden brown.

SpyderWolf
08-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I now wonder if Evoluzione's O2 Modifier can make the job of enriching the mixture...?

Saludos, Pilo

I have heard a lot of good reports on it from here, and am now waiting for mine to arrive. I still have the stock air box for now, and want to put my K&N air filter back in there. It was running way too lean when I first tried this, so I went back to the stock paper filter. I am hoping this does the trick, as I don't really want to buy a Juice Box right now.