PDA

View Full Version : Windshield recommendations?

NewSpydergal
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I have the regular windshield that came with my Spyder but I have been beat up by the wind when I get around 50 mph. Do any of you have a recommendation about what I should go with? I have looked at several, but not sure what's best.

Thanks much you all!

thekershaw's
03-24-2010, 09:12 PM
welcomeWe have the BRP 25 inch windshield and it works great plus protects against wind and bugs.

jrbloise
03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I have the BRP Ultra Touring Shield (25 inch), and it's great. I also have a Cal-Sci 23 inch equipped with Madstad's RoboBrackets that I use especially during the colder months. If you have any other people who ryde the Spyder (like your spouse/better half), you might want to consider the robobrackets so each driver can adjust to their liking.

John

Some Guy
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I have the CHAD windshield from ESI (an excellent sponsor of this site!) and it works great for me. JMO

NewSpydergal
03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty curious about those Madstad's RoboBrackets and windshield's. They look pretty easy and I like how they adjust. I am 5'6 and have 4 inch risers...they recommended 20" windshield for my height but do you think I'd need larger windshield with the risers?

NewSpydergal
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I was looking at those CHAD's too they were the first ones I was most interested in until I saw the bracket thing tonight. What do you like about the CHAD's?

Some Guy
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I had the Robobrackets before I got the CHAD. They are very adjustable, but you have to use tiny tools to adjust it and some of the nuts are not easily accessible. I switched to the CHAD after looking at several of them in Gatlinburg last year. There isn't quite as much adjustment, but you don't need tools to do it.

Both are good products, it's just a matter of personal choice.

Mo Lee
03-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Windshields are just a matter of preference. I have the Givi on mine mainly because it still maintains the sporty look of the Spyder and if you ride fast enough the wind still goes over your head.

BRPjunkie
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Windshields are just a matter of preference. I have the Givi on mine mainly because it still maintains the sporty look of the Spyder and if you ride fast enough the wind still goes over your head.

I too am a fan of the Givi. Nice look, decent protection (5'-10" or under) and great price.

NancysToy
03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Nancy has a CHAD, and it's good, but I heard they had production problems, and may not be readily available right now. I like the CHAD or Madstad because they are adjustable, allowing you a means to make it right for you. Otherwise it is a shot in the dark, since what works for one person won't necessarily suit someone else.

boborgera
03-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Hate to say this but your probably going to buy 2 or 3 windshields before you find one that you like :yikes: Just about every bike ive sold over the last few years went to the new owner with a couple of extra windshields.
Right now i have two extra sitting in my garage.

SpyderWolf
03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Hate to say this but your probably going to buy 2 or 3 windshields before you find one that you like :yikes: Just about every bike ive sold over the last few years went to the new owner with a couple of extra windshields.
Right now i have two extra sitting in my garage.

:agree:

I currently have the stock, and BRP Sport Touring sitting in my shed while I experiment with the Givi. I did not like the stock one and replaced it with the sport touring during the purchase of my Spyder. That screen was great until it got cold outside. I didn't mind the constand buffeting of my head in the warmer months, but it started to get very annoying in the cold. The Givi still looks sporty while greatly decreasing the amount of buffeting my head takes. I am 5'9". The only issues with the Givi, and they warn you about them before hand, is it is an acrylic screen instead of polycarbonate and it has some vibration above 80 mph. Not enough to worry about, but enough that it is noticeable.

DragonSpyder
03-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I am having problems finding the correct shield myself. I'm 5'10" and have 4" risers. I ride at highway speeds and above most of the time. Finding a windshield that provides good protection without making it look like something from another planet is difficult. So far I have tried

Calsci Medium - Looks OK but too much buffeting at speeds

F1 Slider - Looks the best IMHO, no buffeting. Loud whistling noise at speeds. Whistling noise on windy days was so bad I have permanent hearing loss. It Probably needs to be taller and would be perfect. Dealing with this manufacturer was difficult at best.

CHAD - Looks OK, would be better if cut down like Lamonsters. Best wind protection and adjustability is great. Unable to get rid of buffeting at speeds above 65MPH.

I'm thinking of trying to mount the slider on the CHAD bracket. If I get that brave I will let everyone know how it turns out.