PDA

View Full Version : SE5 Shift Delay after shift paddle is pushed

westgl
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I have a RT-SE5.

I have been noticing that the shift is delayed.

After the shifter paddle is pushed, there is a delayed shift.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Westgl

Babymoose
03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
I have a RT-SE5.

Westgl

Are you just quickly tapping the shifter? If you push too long it thinks you want to shift more than one gear and may just not shift.

westgl
03-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I usually try to shift fast, but the delay has been getting worse so I have been slowing down my shifts & trying to make them more positive, thinking this was the problem, to see if that works, but it is no better.

NancysToy
03-23-2010, 06:55 AM
This is probably a silly question, but it pays to look at the simple stuff first. Are your revs high enough? If you try to short shift, at too low an rpm, the Spyder will not shift until the rpm is sufficient. Short shifting while accelerating can cause such a problem.

retired1
03-23-2010, 09:45 AM
I had an '09 RS-SM. I am not the "Ride it like you stole it" kind of rider. When I left the dealership with my RTS-SE I hit the paddle to shift and it wouldn't. That was the first time on an SE for me. After talking to the mechanic I was told that I wasn't turning enough RPM's for it to shift. After I left the dealership I cranked it to about 3500, hit the paddle and got a positive shift. After about 400 miles, it seems to me that the higher the RPM's the more positive the shift. Just my experience.

xpeschon
03-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Agree with ya retired1.. I kind of found out if you shift at about the 4000 to 4,500 mark it shifts pretty smooth..

Joe
(X)

westgl
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
My typical shifting is rev to between 5-6K then quick shift.

But I have been noticing a delay in shift.

Westgl

Sarge707
03-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Agree with ya retired1.. I kind of found out if you shift at about the 4000 to 4,500 mark it shifts pretty smooth..

Joe
(X)
:agree: And the good part is when you shift at the above suggested RPM,s you stay well ahead of traffic!:D

Bersquack
03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I shift mine at about 5K RPM and always get good response.

westgl
03-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, I found the PROBLEM with the delayed shift.

It was a bad cause of OE, yup that's what it was OE.

westgl

SeaBreeze
03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
What's OE?

Jester
03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
OE is often similar the actions of an accidental loose nut behind the handle bar:2thumbs::roflblack:

I have noticed similar problems on my bike when downshifting too far at a stop light. It seems the OE factor causes the transmission to be in neutral which is embarrassing when the light goes
green:shocked:

SpyderWolf
03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
OE is often similar the actions of an accidental loose nut behind the handle bar:2thumbs::roflblack:

I have noticed similar problems on my bike when downshifting too far at a stop light. It seems the OE factor causes the transmission to be in neutral which is embarrassing when the light goes
green:shocked:

It has also been known to rev the engine only to have the SE5 lurch forward a little, as it was in first gear when someone thought it was in neutral. :opps:

Jester
03-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Spyderwolf:
Touche;)

westgl
03-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Well, I was hoping someone would ask about the "OE"

OE is Operator error.

I was not pressing the shift button quick enough

westgl

SpyderWolf
03-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Spyderwolf:
Touche;)

That was just me speaking from personal experience; however, I cannot truly believe that I am the only one who has ever done it. :D

Jester
03-26-2010, 07:57 AM

OE is Operator error.

westgl

Westgl:

I thought I answered that with my earlier post: OE is often similar the actions of an accidental loose nut behind the handle bar!:D:D

VaughnCat
03-27-2010, 04:53 PM
This is probably a silly question, but it pays to look at the simple stuff first. Are your revs high enough? If you try to short shift, at too low an rpm, the Spyder will not shift until the rpm is sufficient. Short shifting while accelerating can cause such a problem.

here's another nickle's worth: our dealer told us we'd get best performance & gas mileage if we ran/shifted the Spyder around 4600rpm . . . so far so good. :thumbup:

garganos
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a RT-SE5.

Westgl

As service bulliten just came out about this. Contact your dealer. They will have to reset the Gear Box Position Sensor (GPS). I just seen it on BRP's dealer site this morning.

Tom in NM
03-27-2010, 10:02 PM

OE is Operator error.

westgl

I had to think about that for a while. I used to play pinball ( real ones, not the computer ones ) a lot and shifting my SE5 came very natural. Tomorrow when I go out, I will have to try giving it a "press" and see what happens.

Glad you got it solved, sometime OE problems are the toughest to work through. :D

Tom

Tom in NM
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
. . . . you might want to pay attention to what garganos said above.

I tested shifting on my SE5, push, punch, nudge, and press all worked - no matter how slow I did it.

What you are experiencing, may not be OE. (for a change :D)

Tom

westgl
03-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks Garganos & Tom,

I need to take the bike in for tire direction being incorrect.

I will have them check that too.

Thanks

Westgl

westgl
04-01-2010, 01:17 AM
I took my Spyder into my Dealer they said that they would reset the Gearbox position sensor.

My Dealer, I have to say, Has done such an excellent job, I am very happy with them, And feel so much better about being an owner of the Spyder.

Westgl

SpyderWolf
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Very glad to hear you have a good dealer that you can rely on. That seems to be more than half the battle. :thumbup:

My wife bought the 12 volt power outlet for her Spyder, but was not sure what it took to put it on while waiting on the instructions to arrive. One dealer told her she would probably have to find some 12 volt wire in order to connect it. I called a different dealer asking them about being able to install it, in case it wasn't going to be as straightforward as I thought it would be, and he asked me where I bought the Spyder. The dealer I bought the Spyder from is no longer in business, should that make a difference? Anyway, we just installed it ourselves this evening and it was no big deal at all. Probably saved another $80 in labor. :)

westgl
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
OK My Spyder is back at the dealer again for the Centrifugal Clutch

I took it in for what I thought was a delayed shift.

My dealer test rode the Spyder said It was not a software download, but the Clutch hanging up & causing the delay, (The delay was a slipping clutch)

My dealer, (I am happy to have such a Great Dealer) said it was three weight/bearings that were changed out for the newer ones.

The weights I had, have a bushing in the center, the bushing seem to cause more friction.

My Dealer replaced the weights with the new ones that have roller bearings.

Let me describe the difference, because it is like Night & Day

Before:
From a Stop: It takes a lot of throttle movement to get away from a stop, felt like clutch was slipping most of the time away from a stop. I had to give more than 1/2 throttle just to get away from a stop
Shifting: Clutch was slipping really bad and made it feel like a delayed shift

After:
From a Stop: It takes very little throttle movement to get away from a stop, and throttle feel much more responsive. Now I have to give it very little to get away from a stop
Shifting: Very quick, positive shift, after shift bike just moves no slip

Since it is not slipping so much, I may get better gas mileage (more than 120 miles to a tank of gas)

All I can say is WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
much better.

I want to thank my dealer, Water World for doing such a great job, getting my Spyder 1st working correctly, & 2nd getting it done so fast.

SpyderWolf
04-03-2010, 06:47 PM
:congrats: on having such a good dealer, and getting your problem fixed so you can enjoy ryding again.