PDA

View Full Version : Ambient temperature inacurate!

Sopher
03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
The ambient temp shown on the RT-S display next to the clock is between 5-8degrees TOO high. Always.
Anyway way to adjust this or calibrate it?

NancysToy
03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
The ambient temp shown on the RT-S display next to the clock is between 5-8degrees TOO high. Always.
Anyway way to adjust this or calibrate it?
Not that I am aware of...or my dealer, either. Mine matches the optimistic one on Nancy's Spyder....sometimes. :roflblack: At least it isn't three inches tall, like on the RS display.

MouthPiece
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I wondered about the same thing. Mine is at least 8 degrees higher and lots of times 10. I figured it was just that the heat from the engine caused it to vary from what the actual outside temp was.

NancysToy
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I wondered about the same thing. Mine is at least 8 degrees higher and lots of times 10. I figured it was just that the heat from the engine caused it to vary from what the actual outside temp was.
Probably is partially due to trapped heat. Mine is off when I first turn it on after sitting in the garage all night, though, but not as far.

VaughnCat
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
The ambient temp on our RT-S runs 3 to 5 degrees warmer, and we've been wondering the same thing. Does anyone know where the sensor is located?
It seems logical that the sensor would pick up engine heat. Even our front trunk and both saddle bags seem to be warm, and we figure it is from the engine heat ..... :ani29:

Sopher
03-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I have not yet taken the panels off yet, but on the old RS it was located on the right side front attached just the the right side of the fog light housing.

Perhaps we could relocate it to a better place.

But where? Is it sufficiently waterproof? Would wind cause an artificially lowered temp reading? (Wind chill) ?

RAL
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
and I thought I was just getting old and weak!!! "Man sure feels colder than that!!":roflblack:

RAL

retired1
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
The registered temp doesn't really bother me. In the early spring it makes me feel warmer than I actually am. In the summer it just means I need to take more breaks from riding.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ohyea:

scudrunner
03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Would wind cause an artificially lowered temp reading? (Wind chill) ? Wind chill doesn't affect metal or temperature sensors, only animal flesh.
I'll have to compare the temps in the cars to the Spyder in the garage in the morning to see if they are comparable. If so, then it must be radiated heat from the engine that causes it to be warmer. But then, if I am getting the same heat, maybe the temp gage is telling me how warm it is while I'm on the bike. Naaahhh, couldn't be that easy.

Magic Man
03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
The ambient temp on our RT-S runs 3 to 5 degrees warmer, and we've been wondering the same thing. Does anyone know where the sensor is located?
It seems logical that the sensor would pick up engine heat. Even our front trunk and both saddle bags seem to be warm, and we figure it is from the engine heat ..... :ani29:

The outside temp gauge on our 08 Honda Ridgeline and even Patti's 2010 MB C300 both read a few degrees hotter than the true outside temp most times too.

I too think it's like you said, and is most likely the under panel trapped heat making it worse.

But to be truthful, I guess I must just be old. :dontknow:

Because, time was I remember when I was young and first fell in love with riding, most bikes did not have gas or temp gauges at all. But we still loved them, and we loved to ride.

Back then you ether were "involved in your riding" and kept track of your fuel, or you ran out! It was really that simple. :shocked:

But, I too do like things I buy to work correctly. However, in this case I did not buy the RT because it did or did not have an outside temp gauge.

The fact that it has one that might be 3 degrees off????? My other rides also seem to have this condition, and even at a ton more money than our RT.

I don't know about you, but if its hot outside my body tells me it's hot out, and if it's cold it does the same. Knowing the exact temp within 3 degrees....oh well I'm not going to let it ruin a good day of riding dwelling on it?

IMHO, there are some much more disturbing QC issues with the new RT than this for sure.

MM