PDA

View Full Version : click click click....help

CRUCIFIED
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I have a little less than 6000 miles on the spyder and the back wheel is making a loud click click click noise...its constant, engine running or not, any time the wheel is turned. Any guesses? I am wanting to say wheel bearing but at less than 6000 miles????

bjt
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
How does the belt alignment look? dltang was having some clicking from her rear tire when the belt was out of alignment.

gazey
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Might be a stone stuck in the belt or in one of the pully teeth :dontknow:
Had that on mine once.

docdoru
03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I'll check the front pully. :doorag:

j45p3r
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Does the clicking stop if you put light pressure on the brakes?

CRUCIFIED
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the input.

The pulley looks o.k. Yes, there was a stone stuck in the belt but was since removed. (Left a hole and now I need a new belt.:gaah:) Figured removing the stone would have stopped the problem but the back is still making the same sound....its definitely in the back and sounds like it is sourced in the wheel assembly...the noise is fairly constant, with brakes same... even in neutral:dontknow:

boborgera
03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the input.

The pulley looks o.k. Yes, there was a stone stuck in the belt but was since removed. (Left a hole and now I need a new belt.:gaah:) Figured removing the stone would have stopped the problem but the back is still making the same sound....its definitely in the back and sounds like it is sourced in the wheel assembly...the noise is fairly constant, with brakes same... even in neutral:dontknow:

If you still have the stone damaged belt on, that's probably your clicking sound?

CRUCIFIED
03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
here is the belt with the pretty hole...

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/LHFRIV/belt.jpg

dltang
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input.

As bjt stated I had that too until my belt was aligned correctly. Now I get it on and off intermittently. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it comes and goes. It is a bit disconcerting though, I will admit.

CRUCIFIED
03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
If you still have the stone damaged belt on, that's probably your clicking sound?

that was my initial guess but the sound happens regardless the position of the damaged portion of the belt...

Since I need to bring it in for a new belt I guess I will let the dealer determine the problem.

CRUCIFIED
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
As bjt stated I had that too until my belt was aligned correctly. Now I get it on and off intermittently. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it comes and goes. It is a bit disconcerting though, I will admit.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I appreciate it.

spyryder
03-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Might be in the cush drive.....I believe some have sprayed silicone to quiet it down?

YPILOT
03-22-2010, 08:03 PM
With only 6000 miles it still may be the bearings in the hub especially if the belt tension was a little high. Also could be brake pads rubbing the disc.

MarkLawson
03-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Have your kid take the cards out of the spokes...

boborgera
03-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Have your kid take the cards out of the spokes...

Wow kids still do that!, Do they sell clothes pins anymore?

Amanda B
03-23-2010, 08:42 AM
I have the clicking too. I believe it is the belt alignment on mine, will be playing with it a little tonight. I don't notice it when going forward though, only when it is going backwards. Since I just had the rear wheel replaced I'm certain after going over it that it is either the belt or bearings (but I had new bearings put in). I am guessing the belt.

sabunim5
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
With only 6000 miles it still may be the bearings in the hub especially if the belt tension was a little high. Also could be brake pads rubbing the disc.
:agree:

Amanda B
03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
My clicking was the tail light wire dragging on the wheel, I just had to zip tie it back up!

dltang
04-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I never mentioned that my clicking came back. I thought it was solved when they realigned the belt after my rear tire change. But in a very short time it was back. This darn noise was driving me crazy, I would push my spyder forward and back listening and just not able to pinpoint the cause. Well tonight, my wonderful husband welded new brackets on my swing arm for the belt guard. My brackets broke and and the fender rails were banging all over the place. In the process, Brian noticed the plastic piece over top of the belt has been somewhat chewed. It has pieces dragging along the sprockets and lo and behold they were causing a clicking noise. My spyder no longer makes a clicking noise. Thank you on so many levels to my husband.

Tom in NM
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I never mentioned that my clicking came back. I thought it was solved when they realigned the belt after my rear tire change. But in a very short time it was back. This darn noise was driving me crazy, I would push my spyder forward and back listening and just not able to pinpoint the cause. Well tonight, my wonderful husband welded new brackets on my swing arm for the belt guard. My brackets broke and and the fender rails were banging all over the place. In the process, Brian noticed the plastic piece over top of the belt has been somewhat chewed. It has pieces dragging along the sprockets and lo and behold they were causing a clicking noise. My spyder no longer makes a clicking noise. Thank you on so many levels to my husband.

That sounds like it would work better than that old trick of using a clothes-pin to attach a card to the guard and into the spokes to make an "engine sound" on a bicycle. If you ever need to go crazy, you could always try that route. :D

Tom

BajaRon
04-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Have you tried jacking up the rear wheel and spinning it by hand? If you have bad bearings they should still make noise and you may be better able to pinpoint the source.