PDA

View Full Version : Best wire to tap for switched power?

Sopher
03-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I want to add LED lights to the rear trunk.
I was to add a 12v powerlet outlet under the dash for my GPS power.
I want to have both switched power so that they go off when the ignition is off.

NancysToy
03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
You will need a relay to trigger your circuit. There is no switched auxiliary circuit on the RT. I would recommend using one of the circuits that run through the power-shedding relay to trigger your new relay. Whatever is close, but don't tap into a monitored circuit like the brake lights, or better yet, use a diode to feed the relay.

Sopher
03-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Can you be a bit more specific: what/where are the power-shedding relays?

You will need a relay to trigger your circuit. There is no switched auxiliary circuit on the RT. I would recommend using one of the circuits that run through the power-shedding relay to trigger your new relay. Whatever is close, but don't tap into a monitored circuit like the brake lights, or better yet, use a diode to feed the relay.

NancysToy
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Can you be a bit more specific: what/where are the power-shedding relays?
The load shedding relay is relay R5 in the front fusebox. It feeds the following components...the automatic suspension control (via another relay), the front and rear heated grips, the frunk LED light, the hood actuator, and the foglights. The main wire coming out of the relay is light green/gray, if that helps.

manoman14
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I installed an Eastern Beaver auxiliary fuse box for accessories. I bought the longest leads that they offered, and they worked out perfectly. Hooked the positive and negative directly to the battery. The lead for the switched power is at this end of the assembly. It has the relay and diode already installed. The main wiring harness for the Spyder is exposed under the battery cover. Find the green wire with gray stripe and tap into it. I tested it before I tapped into it to be sure of it's operation. I then mounted the fuse panel directly behind the front trunk under the left side cover. Easy to get to . I am using it for my intercom and sattelite radio so far and it is working perfectly.:2thumbs:

Sopher
03-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I installed an Eastern Beaver auxiliary fuse box for accessories. I bought the longest leads that they offered, and they worked out perfectly. Hooked the positive and negative directly to the battery. The lead for the switched power is at this end of the assembly. It has the relay and diode already installed. The main wiring harness for the Spyder is exposed under the battery cover. Find the green wire with gray stripe and tap into it. I tested it before I tapped into it to be sure of it's operation. I then mounted the fuse panel directly behind the front trunk under the left side cover. Easy to get to . I am using it for my intercom and sattelite radio so far and it is working perfectly.:2thumbs:

So you got the PC-8 for $65 and and the 30A relay kit 60" long for $99 ?

manoman14
03-22-2010, 05:03 PM
So you got the PC-8 for $65 and and the 30A relay kit 60" long for $99 ?

Yes, and also the diode option. Something about feedback to the Canbus.