PDA

View Full Version : Start up problems today

NewSpydergal
03-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Took my Spyder out for a ride and 4 different times after I had shut it off for awhile and went back out to go again it wouldn't start for me. I messed around with it for 15 minutes and then all of a sudden it would decide to start up. Has anyone else had an issue similar and if so what was the problem? I was thinking something was going on with the mode button...but now I'm thinking starter button...I have contacted the dealership tonight and a technician will be shared the issue tomorrow.

scott
03-19-2010, 02:10 AM
check that all the relays are tight--fully inserted....

PCBeachBum
03-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Took my Spyder out for a ride and 4 different times after I had shut it off for awhile and went back out to go again it wouldn't start for me. I messed around with it for 15 minutes and then all of a sudden it would decide to start up. Has anyone else had an issue similar and if so what was the problem? I was thinking something was going on with the mode button...but now I'm thinking starter button...I have contacted the dealership tonight and a technician will be shared the issue tomorrow.

How old is the gas? If it's more than a month old, you will want to add stabelizer to it, if you haven't already. I had to do that after getting out of the hospital and I couldn't ride. For 6.6 gal tank, I put in just a bit over one ounce.

If the gas is older than that, you might want to change it out and put new gas in.:thumbup:

Lamonster
03-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Could be bad battery, bad ground, bad gas:yikes: or :dontknow:. Best to get it to your dealer. :doorag:
welcome

Mo Lee
03-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Welcome aboard, looks looks like we are starting to get several Spyders in the southwestern part of the state. I hope you have seen the thread on the get together in Cuba Missouri mid April, should be a great time.

xpeschon
03-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Good Catch Mo Lee.. I echo the words of Mo Lee.. See threat below, this would be a GREAT time for you to really get to know your spyder..

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17547

Joe
(X)

Bersquack
03-19-2010, 08:11 AM
When you turn off your spyder, is it in neutral or first gear?

retired1
03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I had the same problem when I got my fiirst :spyder:. You can't just hit the "mode' button once and expect it to start. You have to make sure that the message is not scrolling across the display, before it will start. What seemed basic to my salesman was not basic to me. welcome
John

SpyderByter
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Had the same problem once, I checked relays, they were all seated. Turned out my positive cable on the battery was loose. I did not feel loose when I reached down with my fingers through the seat area, but it was loose enough to cause it not to start.

Firefly
03-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Had the same problem once, I checked relays, they were all seated. Turned out my positive cable on the battery was loose. I did not feel loose when I reached down with my fingers through the seat area, but it was loose enough to cause it not to start.

You can't reach the actual battery terminals just by reaching under the seat--- those are just the Aux terminals.

Firefly
03-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Can you further describe what is going on? Does it turn over, etc.???

grumpybob
03-19-2010, 10:55 AM

I had the same problem with my 09 sm5 when I first got it. Figured out that if I wait until the needle on the tach goes all the way over then back to zero, hit the reset switch on the handle bar then immediately pull the clutch in and hit the starter it starts every time. I never touch the throttle until it is running.

Hope this helps.

M2Wild
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM

I have similer issue with mine. Haven't figured out what combination would cause it not to start. Clutch in, clutch out, in gear, in nutral .... but mode msg is defeinitely off the screen. Very weird.

Jester
03-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Strange as it sounds, I found myself accidentally bumping the kill switch partially and getting really frustrated until I found it.

Tom in NM
03-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Strange as it sounds, I found myself accidentally bumping the kill switch partially and getting really frustrated until I found it.

This and your experience with the Key Sheath ( and I am sure there are others ) makes you the kind of person I like to ride with - - Always an Adventure! :D

If you ever head West, let me know.

Tom

LDFIREWORKS
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
welcome:congrats:

NewSpydergal
03-20-2010, 01:40 AM
So here is the update to the problem I had Thursday with it not starting right up. It was a human problem. I wanted to hold the mode button in too long instead of tapping it. Received a quick response from the salesman Rich at the dealership and he had done the same thing I was doing when he first started riding! I'm thankful I don't have to drive it all the way there to have something fixed this time! :) NO problems at all today and had some fabulous cruising in Springfield, MO! :) Thank you everyone for all your input!

PCBeachBum
03-20-2010, 04:20 AM
So here is the update to the problem I had Thursday with it not starting right up. It was a human problem. I wanted to hold the mode button in too long instead of tapping it. Received a quick response from the salesman Rich at the dealership and he had done the same thing I was doing when he first started riding! I'm thankful I don't have to drive it all the way there to have something fixed this time! :) NO problems at all today and had some fabulous cruising in Springfield, MO! :) Thank you everyone for all your input!

That's great news, that it was nothing mechanically wrong with your :spyder2: . :congrats: and welcome

retired1
03-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Glad to hear that you got the problem resolved.:clap:

bone crusher
03-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Always good to know how your bike works before trying to ride it....(sarcasm expressed!)...:yikes: