PDA

View Full Version : Frunk liner and edge gasket

Sopher
03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes FRunk means Front Trunk.

My gasket edge that runs around the rim of the trunk keeps poping off and make the closing of the trunk harder.

Other than hotglue, any ideas?

jeuchler
03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes FRunk means Front Trunk.

My gasket edge that runs around the rim of the trunk keeps poping off and make the closing of the trunk harder.

Other than hotglue, any ideas?

Sopher, there will probably be a dozen better recommendations, but I had some Gorilla Glue (http://gorillatough.com/glues/gorillaglue/index.aspx) laying around when I got frustrated with the gasket, and I used that.

I'd probably use clear silicone next time, just 'cause the Gorilla Glue expands and is a brown color.

Dudley
03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Sopher, there will probably be a dozen better recommendations, but I had some Gorilla Glue (http://gorillatough.com/glues/gorillaglue/index.aspx) laying around when I got frustrated with the gasket, and I used that.

I'd probably use clear silicone next time, just 'cause the Gorilla Glue expands and is a brown color.

I agree on clear silicone...Hi John how are you and the family? Send me a message with your phone number and I will call you.

truck 85
03-19-2010, 01:42 AM
weatherstrip adhesive

frank3
03-19-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm sure you can still go to any automotive store and purchase door weather seal adhesive. It's typically yellow in color and VERY sticky. The brand I remember was 3-M. Comperable to what auto mfg. used for years for door weather striping adhesive. Apply small amount so that it dosn't squeze out and show after it dries. I'm having the same trouble with mine and plan to fix it with this stuff. As a side note, you might look at Spyderfred site (Fred Rau, RT-5 Rider), he had the same problem with his trunk weatherstrip and thought BRP would fix it prior to final production. Good luck.

frank3
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
OPPS, sorry about that advise. Went home and looked at mine and realized that the REAL reason for the problem is the Ftrunk liner that comes with the RT-S. It actually folds up and over the top edge of the compartment and uses the weather strp to provide a retainer for the liner. Because the liner shouldn't be fastened in place (unless you never plan to remove it) the weather strip can't be glued in place. Guess we'll just have to live with it. I've been placing the weather strip back in place each time I open it. Sometimes, this isn't required but any time you contact the weather strip while removing something from the compartment, it seems to come loose.

ThreeWheels
03-20-2010, 04:07 AM
DO NOT glue the liner or weather strip in place.
You need to remove the liner to gain access to the fuse/relay box.
Sounds like your liner is not properly fastened down. If the liner is fastened properly the weather stripping stays in place. There are snaps and velcro fasteners to hold the liner in place. They are mounted on the rim of the frunk under the fascia.
You have to remove some of the fascia around the frunk in order to get to the velcro.
Take the push pins out of the two access covers near the light assembly. One of them has the picture of the computer. Remove these covers.
Then take the push pins out of the side pieces that cover the fog light assemblies. These pieces can be slid out of the way.
There are tabs on the liner with velcro on them. You'll find corresponding velcro on the frunk in the areas I mentioned. Make up the velcro. On the top there is a snap connection. The the rim of the liner is elastic, so it can be a little tricky.
Once all the fasteners are made, the weather stripping goes on and stays in place. Put everything back together and zip zam zowee and swoosh. You should be OK,
Let us know how you make out.

Lamonster
03-20-2010, 08:10 AM

No you can access it with the liner in, just unzip it cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaRybnCkqro

ThreeWheels
03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
No you can access it with the liner in, just unzip it cover.

Really ?? Way cool. thanks.

Questions
03-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Sounds like your liner is not properly fastened down. If the liner is fastened properly the weather stripping stays in place. There are snaps and velcro fasteners to hold the liner in place. They are mounted on the rim of the frunk under the fascia.
You have to remove some of the fascia around the frunk in order to get to the velcro.
Take the push pins out of the two access covers near the light assembly. One of them has the picture of the computer. Remove these covers.
Then take the push pins out of the side pieces that cover the fog light assemblies. These pieces can be slid out of the way.
There are tabs on the liner with velcro on them. You'll find corresponding velcro on the frunk in the areas I mentioned. Make up the velcro. On the top there is a snap connection. The the rim of the liner is elastic, so it can be a little tricky.
Once all the fasteners are made, the weather stripping goes on and stays in place. Put everything back together and zip zam zowee and swoosh. You should be OK,
Let us know how you make out.

I followed these neat instructions and now eveything stays in place just fine, - Thanks muchly :2thumbs::2thumbs: Al

Sopher
03-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I found what part of the problem is. The liner has a few tabs with 3m Hook and loop connectors (Industrial Velcro). The issue is that several of the hoocks on the liner side are smashed and dont actually hook in place. I'll have to manually replace those.

Since the tabs dont connect the elastic edge on the liner pulls inward and pulls against the rubber gasket.

Will regular velcro hold this liner? I can get stick backed for the plastic side of the trunk wall and fabric style to sew onto the liner tabs.

NancysToy
03-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I found what part of the problem is. The liner has a few tabs with 3m Hook and loop connectors (Industrial Velcro). The issue is that several of the hoocks on the liner side are smashed and dont actually hook in place. I'll have to manually replace those.

Since the tabs dont connect the elastic edge on the liner pulls inward and pulls against the rubber gasket.

Will regular velcro hold this liner? I can get stick backed for the plastic side of the trunk wall and fabric style to sew onto the liner tabs.
Why not just have the liner replaced under warranty?

Sopher
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Why not just have the liner replaced under warranty?

Hmm. didn't think of that. Kind of like a "Wardrobe malfunction!":roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

NancysToy
03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Hmm. didn't think of that. Kind of like a "Wardrobe malfunction!":roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
:roflblack: Maybe, but it won't make the national news, like JJ. :roflblack: