PDA

View Full Version : Help Please !!!!!!!!!!

tea6638
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Took mine out for a little ride today and noticed a side to side travel in the front end while riding at 45mph. Almost like wind turbulence but, there wasn't any. Just buffeting from side to side. Anyone else experience this or was just me. going to take it out again tomorrow and see what happens.:dontknow:

Bersquack
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
If you are new to spyder riding, my guess is that your grip is not relax enough. Just my $0.02.

boborgera
03-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Took mine out for a little ride today and noticed a side to side travel in the front end while riding at 45mph. Almost like wind turbulence but, there wasn't any. Just buffeting from side to side. Anyone else experience this or was just me. going to take it out again tomorrow and see what happens.:dontknow:

Was the road rough, grooved, heavy, crowned? And are you sure it was the front and not the rear. Sometimes on rough roads you'll get a little waging from the rear, especially if your holding the handle bars real tight.

tea6638
03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
I was just thinking that, Bersquack. It just might that my grip was too tight. I've never ridin a Spyder before and I know it will take some time to adjust. Thanks for the input.:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I was just thinking that, Bersquack. It just might that my grip was too tight. I've never ridin a Spyder before and I know it will take some time to adjust. Thanks for the input.:thumbup:

With time you will find that a light grip on the bars works much better, especially since you actually feel more of the road with the two wheels up front. Depending on your size, you may also want to increase the setting on the front shocks and the pressure in the rear shock. Many of the RT owners have had to do this in order to stiffen up the ride.

:congrats: on your new Spyder, stay safe out there.

tea6638
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks Guys:2thumbs:

retread
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Check your tire pressure, I keep mine 18 to 20 in the front, 26 to 30 in the rear, lower than that, it gets squishy.

john

ThreeWheels
03-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Light grip ------sure, that helps, but it's most likely the tire pressure as retread said. Also put your shocks on the highest preload.

I've got the same problem, ALWAYS feels like it's being buffeted by the wind.
One of the reasons is---IT IS. It's a snowmobile on the road with a huge barn door front end.

I increased my tire pressure to 22 PSI in the front, 29 in the rear. Maximum air pressure in the rear shock and maximum preload on the front shocks. That helps alot, but I'm not 100% pleased.

I had an opportunity to ride a pre-production model RT recently. A much stiffer ride. Tracked like it was on rails. The dealer is contacting BRP to see how the pre-production model is different from the one I own. We might try putting some snowmobile springs on the front.

As always, my free advice comes with a double our money back guarantee.

tea6638
03-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks again guys. I did take it again today, pumped up the rear and eased off on my grip, it was a little better. I think I'm going to try what Lamont did, other shocks, I think he said RT shocks ( Not RTS shocks).

NancysToy
03-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks again guys. I did take it again today, pumped up the rear and eased off on my grip, it was a little better. I think I'm going to try what Lamont did, other shocks, I think he said RT shocks ( Not RTS shocks).
No, Lamont put the RT (RTS) shocks on his RS, and put Elkas on his RTS.

ThreeWheels
03-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Talked to my dealer today to try and resolve the difference between my RT and the pre-production demo that he has. Both of us have agreed that the pre-production unit tracks much better. He spoke to the BRP tech guru and the concensus is that I may have a bad alignment. I'll take it in Thursday night to have them work on it Friday. I'll post more later.
On a second point, the gas gauge, my new gauge is as steady as a rock.............. but it's wrong. So is the pre-production model. The dealer is going to play with his demo and see how much adjustment the float needs to make the gauge more accurate. The low fuel light should go on after burning 5 gallons of gas. That will leave 1 gallon in the tank. There is about 0.6 gallons that is left inaccessible for expansion.

NancysToy
03-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Talked to my dealer today to try and resolve the difference between my RT and the pre-production demo that he has. Both of us have agreed that the pre-production unit tracks much better. He spoke to the BRP tech guru and the concensus is that I may have a bad alignment. I'll take it in Thursday night to have them work on it Friday. I'll post more later.
On a second point, the gas gauge, my new gauge is as steady as a rock.............. but it's wrong. So is the pre-production model. The dealer is going to play with his demo and see how much adjustment the float needs to make the gauge more accurate. The low fuel light should go on after burning 5 gallons of gas. That will leave 1 gallon in the tank. There is about 0.6 gallons that is left inaccessible for expansion.
Let us know how you make out. MY RTS wanders around like a four year old playing in the yard, too. The only adjustment available is toe-in, however. Not much your dealer can play with here. I know that mine is bad enough that I avoid certain conditions, like today when I had to hit the highway in the wind. I rode my BMW instead. Even at a 30 degree angle it was more steady. Two-up is bad, too. I regretted taking my wife for a ride yesterday.

As to the gas sending unit, it will be interesting to see if they come up with a fix. We all could benefit. I'me sending my expensive gas gauge to the trash, but the accuracy is still a problem with the digital meter.

ThreeWheels
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Let us know how you make out. MY RTS wanders around like a four year old playing in the yard, too. The only adjustment available is toe-in, however. Not much your dealer can play with here. I know that mine is bad enough that I avoid certain conditions, like today when I had to hit the highway in the wind. I rode my BMW instead. Even at a 30 degree angle it was more steady. Two-up is bad, too. I regretted taking my wife for a ride yesterday.

Here is the latest. Understanding , of course that I am offering a double your money back guarantee on my free advice. I offer the following tongue in cheek.

For those of us who have been "Dancing with the RT"................
You do NOT have to get used to the ride
You do NOT have to understand that it's not a motorcycle
You do NOT have to get 2000 miles of seat time
You do NOT have to be on the very top of your game through all turns.
You do NOT have to get accustomed to the unusual behavior of a three wheeled vehicle
You do NOT have to grow accustomed to the unusual side to side buffeting of the RT.

You DO have to get............................................an alignment.

My Bike had 1/8" toe out on each of the wheels. That's 1/4" over the whole front end. Toe Out is what makes the front end hunt and peck and feel like it's wandering around on it's own.

Obviously the RT is in its own category, and those that offered the above advice are wholly correct in regards to steering and breaking behavior.

My real point is, if you feel that your RT is wandering across the road, get it checked out. There may very well be a fix.

IMHO, this also explains why not everyone has been complaining about the dancing RT. Not everyone has the toe out problem.

NancysToy
03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Here is the latest. Understanding , of course that I am offering a double your money back guarantee on my free advice. I offer the following tongue in cheek.

For those of us who have been "Dancing with the RT"................
You do NOT have to get used to the ride
You do NOT have to understand that it's not a motorcycle
You do NOT have to get 2000 miles of seat time
You do NOT have to be on the very top of your game through all turns.
You do NOT have to get accustomed to the unusual behavior of a three wheeled vehicle
You do NOT have to grow accustomed to the unusual side to side buffeting of the RT.

You DO have to get............................................an alignment.

My Bike had 1/8" toe out on each of the wheels. That's 1/4" over the whole front end. Toe Out is what makes the front end hunt and peck and feel like it's wandering around on it's own.

Obviously the RT is in its own category, and those that offered the above advice are wholly correct in regards to steering and breaking behavior.

My real point is, if you feel that your RT is wandering across the road, get it checked out. There may very well be a fix.

IMHO, this also explains why not everyone has been complaining about the dancing RT. Not everyone has the toe out problem.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Thanks for the update. Excessive toe-out has been my suspicion. We'll see if a couple of us also have the same problem. Glad you got your dealer educated.

docdoru
03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/skeletalfront.gif?t=1269651113

NancysToy
03-26-2010, 07:58 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/skeletalfront.gif?t=1269651113
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: That would be excessive, all right!

ThreeWheels
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure how we got onto this topic, but talk about an alignment correction................Here is mine.............................

NancysToy
03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
So you guys are saying I should have my tech check MY RT's X-rays? :roflblack:

Babymoose
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
So you guys are saying I should have my tech check MY RT's X-rays? :roflblack:
Good to see you still have a sense of humour:clap:

Bootie
03-28-2010, 09:51 PM

I thought I had a toe-out problem with my 2009 SM5. I couldn't find anyone to check/fix it, though. Dealer in Pittsburgh said that you have to have a Laser alignment system and most dealers don't have these.
I just hope my 2010 RT doesn't have the same problem.

NancysToy
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I thought I had a toe-out problem with my 2009 SM5. I couldn't find anyone to check/fix it, though. Dealer in Pittsburgh said that you have to have a Laser alignment system and most dealers don't have these.
I just hope my 2010 RT doesn't have the same problem.
According to the shop manual, you do not need a laser alignment system, but you do need a magnetic laser level, plus several pieces of aluminum, and some clamps to make the alignment jig. That's my dealer's problem, now. They can truck it to Valcourt if that is what it takes.

dabreitbach
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
According to the shop manual, you do not need a laser alignment system, but you do need a magnetic laser level, plus several pices of aluminum, and some clamps to make the alignment jig. That's my dealer's problem, now. They can truck it to Valcourt if that is what it takes.

Or they can go to the nearest hardware store and buy them like I and alot of other people did. GOOD GOD the excuses some dealers come up with. If they have been selling spyders for a while they should of already have these. JEEEZZ! I think I spent almost $50.00 on mine. But I always go delux.:roflblack:

krb1945
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
xray of my left shoulder. Except mine bulges the skin up about an inch. /Ken

ThreeWheels
03-31-2010, 12:14 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Thanks for the update. Excessive toe-out has been my suspicion. We'll see if a couple of us also have the same problem. Glad you got your dealer educated.

Right now, 70 is like 50 used to feel. I'm still evaluating it. It's definitely an improvement, but I'm wondering if it can be better still. Maybe add a little bit of toe in.

scdtrd
03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Needs more cow bell!:roflblack: