PDA

View Full Version : Please refresh my memory

dltang
03-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Will the RT trailer hitch fit on an RS (my 2008 to be specific)? Doing some thinking, nothing definite yet, but our minds are working.

Lamonster
03-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes:doorag:

NancysToy
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
It will fit, but be aware that it comes with the wiring harness, that would take some creative work to adapt, has an integral module and connector, non-standard wiring, and would not mate with anything but the BRP trailer. In short, you will waste the cost of the harness. Still worth it, IMO, but everyone should be informed before they leap.

Some Guy
03-18-2010, 07:45 PM
It will fit, but be aware that it comes with the wiring harness, that would take some creative work to adapt, has an integral module and connector, non-standard wiring, and would not mate with anything but the BRP trailer. In short, you will waste the cost of the harness. Still worth it, IMO, but everyone should be informed before they leap.

Plus...I'd be willing to bet she doesn't know anyone with any kind of electrical knowledge!!! :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

dltang
03-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Plus...I'd be willing to bet she doesn't know anyone with any kind of electrical knowledge!!! :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

hmmm...let me think:D

NancysToy
03-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I know a guy in Grand Blanc I could hook her up with. :roflblack:

ArmyJoe
03-19-2010, 12:54 PM

Someone has already posted the part number and pin-out for the Spyder-side connector. It's probably just a matter of time before some enterprising merchant makes a kit that taps into the appropriate wiring to make a functional trailer interface for the RS.

Connector: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17652
Pin-out: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17705

NancysToy
03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Someone has already posted the part number and pin-out for the Spyder-side connector. It's probably just a matter of time before some enterprising merchant makes a kit that taps into the appropriate wiring to make a functional trailier interface for the RS.
It isn't quite as simple as it appears. The trailer right and left brake lights are separated, as well as the turn signals, making a special module that splits the single brake signal, or else tying the brakes together in the adapter, necessary. The RT module might be able to be adapted, but mounting would be difficult at best. Easiest way out is to remove the trailer plug and splice in an new one that can more readily hook to standard wiring added to the RS. Standard connectors are far less bulky, anyway.

The opposite direction, RT to a standard trailer is a bit of a struggle, too. I bought an RT-622 tongue harness to build an adapter, but you could just buy the connector itself now that a source (foreign) has been found. BTW, these are scarce connectors...hard to find.

zackybilly1
03-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Give me a couple of days and I'll post how to hook it to your RS. I picked up a trailer two weeks ago and have been pulling it behind a GL1800. I rigged it up on a 6-pin plug as I plan to pull another type trailer with the Wing that requires it (on-board battery/compressor, etc.) It pulls good behind a two-wheeler. If you can afford the fuel, you can pull it as fast as you want to.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/Zackybilly1/CanAmTrailer023.jpg

It doesn't need separate brake signals, just tie them together on the trailer-side of the plug and it's done. The blinkers and the tag light are incadescent and the balance are LEDs. The marker and running lights together only draw >.5 amp. The only difficult thing I see is making the plug arrangement look good. I've got the isolator and other electrical stuff rounded up and am waiting on a hitch/spare tire to come in. It won't be as handy as "plug-n-play" but it wasn't that long ago we didn't know what that term meant.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/Zackybilly1/CanAmTrailer027.jpg

I have a different type of trailer on order for the GoldWing (due mid-June). After it's been picked up, the CanAm trailer will be dedicated to the Spyder. I've been riding consistently for the past 39 years, have not been without at least one bike during that time and never pull a trailer behind a bike. Now that have, I'm diggin' the hell out of trailers.

Z