PDA

View Full Version : RT Gas Mileage

ThreeWheels
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I've got about 750 miles on my bike. I too am getting about 25 to 27 MPG. I've been using regualr gas. Regular is shown as acceptable in the manual. Has anyone run High Test ? Do you get better gas mileage ?
I'm thinking that $/Mile is less important than total range.
IMHO, A range of 150 miles is really pretty poor for a touring bike.
My Honda ST 1100 was around 300 miles, although that's a long way to go without a rest stop.

NancysToy
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I run premium fuel. I get about the same mileage as you. I agree that a range of 150 miles is pretty pitiful for a touring bike. Hard to improve mileage on anything that has aerodynamics slightly less efficient than a brick wall. :D You certainly can't compare it to either a two-wheeler with much less frontal area, or to a car that was designed in a wind tunnel.

syclemom
03-21-2010, 06:17 AM
My wife got her bike Jan.5 it now has 7000 mi. I put in Mobil 1 10-40 that does not have the energy conserving symbol at 3600mi. We just got back from a 1500mi. trip to west Texas to ride "The Twisted Sisters" she pulled her trailer with cruise set on 75 she got 30-31mpg. The trailer was loaded pretty heavy but long runs on I-10 helped, she could pass at will and had no problem keeping up with my Venture. Engine still has all signs of being nowhere near broken in is still very tight. Her first tanks were 26-27mpg as were her best friends SE but she is now getting 30mpg almost like a switch changed at 2500 miles the mileage picked up on both of theirs. She has runn 87 and 91 octane and saw no difference but we do run the 91 when trailering .

fencepost
04-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Consider all the Goldwings that have been converted to trikes, prior to the conversion most of them got somewhere in the mid to high 30's and some even in the low 40's. Now add the trike conversion and the fuel milege drops for most of them to the high 20's with some getting in the low 30's. Consider that you have increased rolling resistance with 3 tires, one of which is very wide, a wide front fairing and wind deflectors. So when you compared with like motorcycles the mileage for the Spyder is in the ball park with other three wheel motorcycles.

ThreeWheels
04-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Consider all the Goldwings that have been converted to trikes, prior to the conversion most of them got somewhere in the mid to high 30's and some even in the low 40's. Now add the trike conversion and the fuel milege drops for most of them to the high 20's with some getting in the low 30's. Consider that you have increased rolling resistance with 3 tires, one of which is very wide, a wide front fairing and wind deflectors. So when you compared with like motorcycles the mileage for the Spyder is in the ball park with other three wheel motorcycles.

Respectfully, I have to say that you are missing the point, or at least missing my point.
It's not how the RT stacks up against other motorcycles.
It's how far can you go between fill-ups. I'm unconcerned with how others perform, it's the performance I expect after spending $25000 on a vehicle.

In my opinion a range of 120 miles for a vehicle that is ostensibly designed to eat up highway miles is just inadequate. If nothing can be done to increase the MPG, then as an alternative I'd like to explore the options to carry more gas onboard the vehicle.

fencepost
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I understand now, we should read between the lines and look for the clue asking about fuel cells. Your funny. Although you bring up a good point and I woulld think that it will be a matter of time before someone makes an aux fuel cell. It would be helpfull on long trips.

ThreeWheels
04-07-2010, 05:14 AM
I understand now, we should read between the lines and look for the clue asking about fuel cells. Your funny. Although you bring up a good point and I woulld think that it will be a matter of time before someone makes an aux fuel cell. It would be helpfull on long trips.

No, I'm not being funny, I was just continuing a conversation from another thread that you may not be aware of. If your curiosity is piqued, I invite you to review a similar thread.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=195093#post195093

fencepost
04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for bring me on board. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bootie
04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I've got about 750 miles on my bike. I too am getting about 25 to 27 MPG. I've been using regualr gas. Regular is shown as acceptable in the manual. Has anyone run High Test ? Do you get better gas mileage ?
I'm thinking that $/Mile is less important than total range.
IMHO, A range of 150 miles is really pretty poor for a touring bike.
My Honda ST 1100 was around 300 miles, although that's a long way to go without a rest stop.
I have about 520mi on mine. The latest milage check yielded 30mpg. I use 93 octane in mine ($3.05/gal this morn:yikes:). Figure with a 12.2 compression ratio we will need to use high octane gas, especially as the weather warms up. I will push mine to 150miles/tank soon. Hopefully I won't run out of gas. I should be able to get 180mi/tank but I am not willing to test that theory, yet.

Bruce

Babymoose
04-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I have about 520mi on mine. The latest milage check yielded 30mpg. I use 93 octane in mine ($3.05/gal this morn:yikes:). Figure with a 12.2 compression ratio we will need to use high octane gas, especially as the weather warms up. I will push mine to 150miles/tank soon. Hopefully I won't run out of gas. I should be able to get 180mi/tank but I am not willing to test that theory, yet.

Bruce

Don't forget the capacity posted by Can-Am is not all usable capacity. So when you calculate you can't use the full 6.6 U.S. gal or 25L. Probably more like 5.5 U.S. gal. 34 mpg would get you about 187 miles. 30 mpg would get you about 165 miles. But probably you have heard all this before.